Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Round 3: Redland Bombers v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Leyshon Park

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am not sure why him turning 19 matters. Depends on whether these "academy graduates" are deemed to still be part of the academy. Hiscox (for us), Steele and Himmelberg (for the Giants) were all eligible for the draft the year before they were actually drafted.
    I would have thought that we only get access to kids that are in the academy system, I guess the key word is "graduate", I would have thought Steel and Himmelberg were still actively in the GWS academy system when they were drafted even if they were passed over the year before. I would think the academy has an age cutoff, 18 would seem logical.

Surely we have had our chance at drafting him when he was passed up at the draft?, we don't get a lifetime right of drafting I wouldn't have thought.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I would have thought that we only get access to kids that are in the academy system, I guess the key word is "graduate", I would have thought Steel and Himmelberg were still actively in the GWS academy system when they were drafted even if they were passed over the year before. I would think the academy has an age cutoff, 18 would seem logical.

Surely we have had our chance at drafting him when he was passed up at the draft?, we don't get a lifetime right of drafting I wouldn't have thought.
    You may well be correct that there is an age cut-off, and I have no idea of the exact rules. But 18 can't be the age cut-off, or the three players I mentioned wouldn't have been eligible to be drafted as academy players.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234