Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 5 V West Coast

We had few outside players. The crowd did. After a series of handballs they always found a free player. We didnt.

I think it puts us back in that 4th to 8th ranking. Adelaide arent that good

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    Ins

Sinclair if ready
    Jones
    Hewitt

Out

Nankervis
    Towers
    Papley

Notes

Papley will be starting to fatigue. Give him modified game time in the reserves.

Love to see Mills spend time forward with Heeney. Great mark and kick.

McVeigh could spend time forward to accommodate Jones.
    These were my initial post-game thoughts as well, although I would keep Macca in defence and play Jones through the midfield and forward. He's a good pressure player.

We've been playing too many forwards and are getting caught out on turnovers.

We need to choose between Papley and McGlynn. I'd play Hewett more in the midfield and Robinson forward.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We had few outside players. The crowd did. After a series of handballs they always found a free player. We didnt.

I think it puts us back in that 4th to 8th ranking. Adelaide arent that good
    It is early in the season still. Who do you have as top 3? Hawthorn, WC and who else? We could have easily won this game if not for a few bad calls and the unavailability of Sinclair and Macca needing more game time.

Hopefully, by the end of the bye rounds, we will have Tahlia back (to develop into a replacement for Ted), Reid (another tall option) and Rohan so I still think we are genuine top four. We will know by Round 10 as we have played WC, Hawthorn and NM by then.

Veterans List
    Has there been any word on whether Sinclair will be ok for next week?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Has there been any word on whether Sinclair will be ok for next week?
    Longmire said the doctors told him Sinclair would be right for the Eagles

WCE have a big forward line so I wonder if the selection panel are considering adding more size and giving Allir a run. It would be bold against such strong opposition but, in the absence of Reid (who we missed last night) and Talia it might be an option.

Otherwise, Sinclair back in for the unlucky Nankervis. I suspect the others will get another chance unless they are deemed to be a bit sore after a tough first month.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I'm not too worried about Ted. He played on a very good, big, mobile forward who was given great delivery at times. We have really missed having an LRT type to help down back and I don't think Reid is the answer
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I think Aliir can definitely bring something valuable to our side. He has good disposal and can break lines with his run. Only question mark at this stage is his one on one defending. I think Ted deserves a couple more games to find his feet though it's looking like this year might be his last.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I'm not too worried about Ted. He played on a very good, big, mobile forward who was given great delivery at times. We have really missed having an LRT type to help down back and I don't think Reid is the answer
    Ted will need a bit of time to get back into it, but he looked slow and old yesterday. Once upon a time he could get away with playing behind his man like he does - now I'm not so sure. And sadly his disposal so far this season has been awful at best. He deserves a good chance to show he still has it, but I wonder if the end is closer than we hoped for him.

Totally agree we miss that LRT type player.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    Keep Papley and Mcglynn in the same team. Both have great defensive pressure in the forward line but Benny also pinch hits in the midfield. So to keep Papley in the forward line is a good idea I think.

OUT: Nankervis, Robinson
    In: Sinclair, Jones

I did like Nankervis tonight, great follow up work and tackles, couple of good grabs but Sinclair being out tonight could've really made the difference.
    I thought Robinson was good and is improving every game. He definitely stays in my book.

OUT: Nankervis, Papley
    IN: Sinclair, Rose

Nankervis was OK but Sinclair offers a lot more. Papley learnt a lot about the difference in pressure when you're playing a top-4 contender vs. bottom-4 contenders. He will improve, but I think Rose deserves a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Ted will need a bit of time to get back into it, but he looked slow and old yesterday. Once upon a time he could get away with playing behind his man like he does - now I'm not so sure. And sadly his disposal so far this season has been awful at best. He deserves a good chance to show he still has it, but I wonder if the end is closer than we hoped for him.

Totally agree we miss that LRT type player.
    I also posted that LRT type is the missing link player role we have not filled at this time. The only player we have that can build into that role is abe davis. he has the build and shows good signs early in the pre session that he can play forward and back and he is a goal kicker not certain how far away his is on selection or his defences skills have improved to a point of being selected but I would like to see him given go before half way to add debt into the swing man role.

Saturday night's game proved that our ability to curb teams that run aggressively forward is lacking. Last year we were found out by the Bulldogs, Hawks and Eagles amongst those contending for the flag
    We cope well with teams that turn the ball over or have deficiencies in disposals but if teams have high precision they can get around us. Why?

Unfortunately, I think it's comes down to our strengths, we are contested ball team and our mid-field getting first hand on the pill can make up for many other faults as was evidenced by the first quarter. When Adelaide even up the clearances we found ourselves with a defence under undue pressure. Winning the clearances becomes a priority but more than that having the pill in the hands of good decision makers with the ability to hit targets is gold.

Jarrad McVeigh is out best decision maker and amongst the best kicks to advantage in the team. Parker is next best followed by ... Kennedy (??).

I thought we played great on the night and were desperately unlucky. I don't think McVeigh should have been selected, Smith was pushed, Rampe was suckered a couple of times and Papley could have kicked better. These things happen from time to time.

This overlooks the fact that we were the better team in the first quarter and played well against quality opposition all night in spite of IMHO picking a side that was not equipped to serve the two masters of clearance winners or speed to and from contests.

Jones must come back into defence McVeigh must go forward, Heeney sh have a more prolonged run in the mids as must Mills. Pragmatically, West Coast look to have too much speed if we miss targets no matter what team we select.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast