Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 5 V West Coast

As established in another thread, if Nankervis is in the best 22, then he plays, alongside Tippett and Sinclair.

Personally I'd give Papley a game off.
    Let him sit and watch the game with a different viewpoint and add some learning to what he took out of the Crows game.
    So don't drop him as a punishment, but as a favor to him.
    Keep McGlynn, and while I've been a critic of McVeigh, he's only had the one game, so I'm giving him a hall pass for a couple more games.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

McVeigh must be on notice that another poor performance against a good side will not be acceptable.

Veterans List
    He has played 1 game and no pre season games. You cant be serious.

Is anyone else concerned about Mills doing clangers from defence in the last 2 games that directly cost us goals? I really like him and for a rookie he has really shown great skill and courage so far. So I'm not for a minute suggesting he be dropped. But I understand he hasn't played much in defence prior to being promoted to the top grade with the Swans. The Crows pressure on our backs was intense on Sat and I'd hate his confidence to be dented as a result of those couple of clangers. I'm thinking I'd prefer him up in the mids for a game or two where his obvious strengths will be better leveraged.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Now have just read the various posts in the Crows Match Day thread about the Mills clangers. So I do see there is concern out there, but also heaps of support. So my question really is how about he get moved into the mids? What would that mean for the balance of the team ... who moves into the HB line?
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    Is anyone else concerned about Mills doing clangers from defence in the last 2 games that directly cost us goals? I really like him and for a rookie he has really shown great skill and courage so far. So I'm not for a minute suggesting he be dropped. But I understand he hasn't played much in defence prior to being promoted to the top grade with the Swans. The Crows pressure on our backs was intense on Sat and I'd hate his confidence to be dented as a result of those couple of clangers. I'm thinking I'd prefer him up in the mids for a game or two where his obvious strengths will be better leveraged.
    I think this type of experience is crucial for young guys like Mills. Sure we could hide him somewhere where he doesn't need to assume so much responsibility, but long term he'll learn a lot more from making a few mistakes in defence. He's only 19 so he's going to make some mistakes but I wouldnt be rushing to hide him.

Veteran Site Admin
    If we were to move every player out of our defence who makes the occasional (or more than occasional) clanger, we would literally have no defenders. For all the great work they do, Smith, Rampe, Reg, Ted and Laidler are all guilty of some really awful disposals at times.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Speaking of slow, i reackon mitchell did a lot of harm to his next contact in adelaide.
    They played him predominantly in the half forward line. He's probably our leading clearance player and they played him mostly off the ball. Go figure? No wonder they beat us in the clearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    Is anyone else concerned about Mills doing clangers from defence...
    I think his team mates let him know in no uncertain terms they were concerned about his botched kick in from a behind.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If we were to move every player out of our defence who makes the occasional (or more than occasional) clanger, we would literally have no defenders. For all the great work they do, Smith, Rampe, Reg, Ted and Laidler are all guilty of some really awful disposals at times.
    +1

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He has played 1 game and no pre season games. You cant be serious.
    So he should have played NEAFL, if it was good enough for GOODES its good enough for every player on our list.

McVeigh and Longmire used it as a practice game for him. 8 tackles but he was second to every ball. Easy to tackle when you arrive late or wrestling for a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    They played him predominantly in the half forward line. He's probably our leading clearance player and they played him mostly off the ball. Go figure? No wonder they beat us in the clearances.
    Was frustrating to watch him played predominantly in the forward line. He's far too good in the middle to spend most of his time up forward. It looked like he was given Hewett's role of the previous round.

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    So he should have played NEAFL, if it was good enough for GOODES its good enough for every player on our list.

McVeigh and Longmire used it as a practice game for him. 8 tackles but he was second to every ball. Easy to tackle when you arrive late or wrestling for a ball.
    Harsh but a pretty fair assessment. I hope that Reid and Rohan spend time in the NEAFL unless there is a bizarre injury toll.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast