Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best canteen in AFL Sydney?

Best canteen in AFL Sydney?

Hi folks, having read a lot of the posts, there are some serious observers of local footy in Sydney. On a light hearted or it could be deadly serious post, which football club canteens have the best food?

My categories are
    a) Best pie
    b) Best sausages
    c) Best burger

I would nominate the UTS Bats Burger as pretty good for Category C. And a newcomer is the Newtown Breakaways (womens) Pies which are homemade for Category A.

Love to hear your banter!

Magpie Burger with the lot.

Hi Skaterboi, is this Rosedale (SW Magpies) or Picken (Western Suburbs)?

Quote Originally Posted by magicmoment2014 View Post
    Hi folks, having read a lot of the posts, there are some serious observers of local footy in Sydney. On a light hearted or it could be deadly serious post, which football club canteens have the best food?

My categories are
    a) Best pie
    b) Best sausages
    c) Best burger

I would nominate the UTS Bats Burger as pretty good for Category C. And a newcomer is the Newtown Breakaways (womens) Pies which are homemade for Category A.

Love to hear your banter!
    I'll have to try the Bats burger.

Rosedale Oval always had great food and the people who worked the canteen were always really nice.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmoment2014 View Post
    Hi Skaterboi, is this Rosedale (SW Magpies) or Picken (Western Suburbs)?
    Western Suburbs.

We tend to have the normal bacon egg etc but the honey garlic chicken breast burgers go well. Newest addition to the menu fresh pork rolls sell out pretty quick though.

Mac Uni always seem to put on a good feed, I would place them near the top for burgers. Campbelltown used to make a good home made pie, but it was approaching the price of a degustation banquet at Tetsuya�s.

We have the finals catering this year. Gotta check out some pies (Do we go Vili's?) around the traps during the season and source a decent one. Might put hot ham rolls on the menu as well and willing to take suggestions.

Our junior club keeps their snags stewing in gravy, and are pretty decent. I worked the BBQ for them last week. I was surprised that most of the young kids hated gravy. Probably not used to it these days.

We had an 0830 game at Cherrybrook in freezing rain back in 2014. We got thumped, but it felt a little better when I went to the canteen and they had ROGAN JOSH! And Vietnamese spring rolls. Very hoity toity.

The Hot-dogs at Rosedale were fantastic. Dont know if they still have them.
    Magpie burger at Picken
    St George have best selection of fresh filled rolls I have come across.
    Sydney Uni have Garlos pies which are the best mass produced pie on the market but if you have the later games there are none left
    I used to love going to Ern Holmes just for the canteen

Not sure if it counts, but the Waverley Park Kiosk is unbeatable ... seated at tables, overlooking the footie and the ocean, and the staff comes and takes your order ... don't think any of the others rate 3 stars with Zomato ... very civilised!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    The Hot-dogs at Rosedale were fantastic. Dont know if they still have them.
    Magpie burger at Picken
    St George have best selection of fresh filled rolls I have come across.
    Sydney Uni have Garlos pies which are the best mass produced pie on the market but if you have the later games there are none left
    I used to love going to Ern Holmes just for the canteen
    Hot dogs still on the menu however were missing on Friday night last week.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Not sure if it counts, but the Waverley Park Kiosk is unbeatable ... seated at tables, overlooking the footie and the ocean, and the staff comes and takes your order ... don't think any of the others rate 3 stars with Zomato ... very civilised!
    No, it doesn't count. Not run by club. Next thing we will have North Shore extolling the excellence of the Royal North Shore Hospital cafeteria. Speaking of North Shore, they do put on a good burger.

But I remember last year when we were at Waverley, one of our players, in true Westie style, looked at the long list of coffee's available and blurted out "Have you run out of instant coffee or don't you sell it". I did have to wait a long time for a coffee (not instant). Seems there was a pram expo. They were everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    We had an 0830 game at Cherrybrook in freezing rain back in 2014. We got thumped, but it felt a little better when I went to the canteen and they had ROGAN JOSH! And Vietnamese spring rolls. Very hoity toity.
    Pekay, you should have been there last weekend - Madras curry, Dim sims in capsicum and chili garnish !
    As far as meat pies, Sydney Uni canteen is good for the Garlo pie, Baulko for Villi...anything but Four&Twenty which are rubbish.
    But, and I written this here before, the salmon at Baulko is to die for, if you can be there on a day when they're serving it up.

And here's a free tip that you won't read about anywhere else...if you go to BISP then there's a fair chance that you will stay hungry...unless you nick across to the softball where they do a delightful chicken schnitzel for about $6.00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast