Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Brand New Year

Veterans List

A Brand New Year

I've been looking over the comments during and after each game this year but have hardly been drawn to comment as I let the season unfold.

Losing in Adelaide was a bummer but it was such a great game that there were moments when I thought "I don't care who wins this" - I last felt like that in a Gabba game where Baz kicked the winning goal after the siren. This time in Adelaide we had a couple of very dodgy decisions go against us (hands in the back Eddie, and "that wasn't 15 metres" even though it has been for the past 20 years. I'm glad we went all out in attack in that last minute, even if it meant that Eddie kicked an easy goal to seal their win.

It made me think back over last year. The 2014 GF flattened me (and so many others). It wasn't just losing but the way we lost with nary a whimper while surrounded by the Hawks' brutish, neanderthal supporters.

So last year I wanted us to play uncompromising footy and out-Hawk Clarkson's "unsociable footy". We didn't but we still made Top 4 though injuries made it clear that we wouldn't be 2015 Premiers. I didn't really care about the game much by then because the treatment of Goodes had left me with little enjoyment for the footy at all. Handing out the t-shirts at the SCG Crows game was a bright moment in a dark year for football.

This year we have a bunch of kids and we're playing really fun footy. I can go to the games and feed off their energy. I don't know if it'll last as young bodies get tired but I look forward to the game every week. And I can finally appreciate us having Buddy, not as a means to a flag, but purely for the sheer spectacle he provides.

I wonder if you are feeling the same? I feel like it's a bit like a new dawn. It's more than just the rule changes it's like Heeney, Mills, Papley have given us a lot to look forward to for the next decade at least.

And, after we battled out a win against a much improved GWS I texted a friend to say that I was glad we hung tough then ran away with it when we'd worn them out. She replied "it's the spirit of Brett Kirk". Maybe that's what we were missing the last two years.

Oh, I won't ever go to another Hawks game even if, or especially if, it's a Grand Final. Pies games at Olympic Park were bad enough for the train trips to and from but Hawks crowds are far beyond what I'm prepared to be part of as a modern egalitarian Australian.

Senior Player
    Great summation of the way I am feeling about the Swans as well.
    I feel that having Brett Kirk back at the club was at least as important as any of our player picks last year. It felt that over the last couple of years the " Bloods " ethos had fallen away slightly and who better to reignite that then an ex captain who grew up in NSW , played over 200 consecutive games and was highly regarded as one of the toughest players in the competition.
    Not to mention that he was dropped from the team list twice before winning a spot so knows a bit about perseverance and never giving up.
    The enthusiasm and energy that our list now has with the infusion of youth gives me cause for optimism over the coming decade.
    Your point about the spectacle Lance provides is one that many supporters are starting to appreciate. My anticipation of a player doing something spectacular when they get the ball has not been so high since the days of Tony Lockett.
    However if Isaac continues to develop along the same trajectory he has shown this season then we may soon have two players with the same ability to deliver that joy and pleasure to supporters.
    I am more optimistic about the future now then I have been at any other time in my 32 years of supporting the Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I've been looking over the comments during and after each game this year but have hardly been drawn to comment as I let the season unfold.

Losing in Adelaide was a bummer but it was such a great game that there were moments when I thought "I don't care who wins this" - I last felt like that in a Gabba game where Baz kicked the winning goal after the siren. This time in Adelaide we had a couple of very dodgy decisions go against us (hands in the back Eddie, and "that wasn't 15 metres" even though it has been for the past 20 years. I'm glad we went all out in attack in that last minute, even if it meant that Eddie kicked an easy goal to seal their win.

It made me think back over last year. The 2014 GF flattened me (and so many others). It wasn't just losing but the way we lost with nary a whimper while surrounded by the Hawks' brutish, neanderthal supporters.

So last year I wanted us to play uncompromising footy and out-Hawk Clarkson's "unsociable footy". We didn't but we still made Top 4 though injuries made it clear that we wouldn't be 2015 Premiers. I didn't really care about the game much by then because the treatment of Goodes had left me with little enjoyment for the footy at all. Handing out the t-shirts at the SCG Crows game was a bright moment in a dark year for football.

This year we have a bunch of kids and we're playing really fun footy. I can go to the games and feed off their energy. I don't know if it'll last as young bodies get tired but I look forward to the game every week. And I can finally appreciate us having Buddy, not as a means to a flag, but purely for the sheer spectacle he provides.

I wonder if you are feeling the same? I feel like it's a bit like a new dawn. It's more than just the rule changes it's like Heeney, Mills, Papley have given us a lot to look forward to for the next decade at least.

And, after we battled out a win against a much improved GWS I texted a friend to say that I was glad we hung tough then ran away with it when we'd worn them out. She replied "it's the spirit of Brett Kirk". Maybe that's what we were missing the last two years.

Oh, I won't ever go to another Hawks game even if, or especially if, it's a Grand Final. Pies games at Olympic Park were bad enough for the train trips to and from but Hawks crowds are far beyond what I'm prepared to be part of as a modern egalitarian Australian.
    This comment is so perceptive and resonated with me as I realised what was different this year about the footy.

The "Kirk" factor is significant, but I think we've got to thank Beetson, Roos, O'Loughlin and Crouch for the development of our list both through the draft and the academy.

I also give some credit to Longmire, Dew, et al for adapting a game plan that seems to be coping with the rule changes better than some of the other challengers.

The loss of Adam Goodes to the game under the circumstances that was revealed last year was a tragedy for the code and a slur on our society but perhaps it may also be a rallying call for the group.

Returning to the more positive tone of your comments, the introduction of these youths has been both serendipitous and encouraging. I remember being so flat after first Buddy, then Keiran, Luke and Nick were unavailable for the Freo final but losing Sam when he was dominating just took the air out of me, but the last quarter of that game was a fantastic effort and while we couldn't perform against North, I saw a lot in that match.

This year, the pressure on selection is amazing instead of worrying about those missing, I find myself arguing why the youngsters should stay and enjoying every moment of it.

2015 was a year where the spark of AFL died a little because of the treatment of goodes

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    2015 was a year where the spark of AFL died a little because of the treatment of goodes
    Agreed. I love my team as much as ever but the rest of the AFL has lost some lustre.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

+ 1 except for the last para.

I hated the booing of Hawks' fans at the 'G last year but would not commit to boycotting all Hawks games for that reason. Nor do I wish to fear losing to them. Rather I want to relish the prospect of smashing them!

Pushing for Selection
    +1, but....
    ...there are fools in every group of supporters, so ignore 'em.

I have my tickets for 20th May, and I'll be cheering the boys from behind the goals in the Olympic Stand.

Veterans List
    I agree there is a new energy this year from both the newcomers and the senior players. We are also playing more attractive football.

Buddy is like a whole different person...you can see light behind his eyes. When I look back to last year you can now see that something wasn't right.

Last year the negatives kept building up:
    - 2014 GF aftermath
    - Trade ban
    - Academy bashing
    - Goodes booing and the whole continuous saga
    - Unexciting games
    - Buddy illness
    - Injuries

By the end of the season I couldn't wait for it to end. Now I am excited and look forward to each game.

I wish I'd said that. Me to a T. Except that I am also going to go to the G for the Hawks game.

Thank you for your great words mate. Totally agree with it all...except I have got my ticket to fly south for the Hawks game!
    Swannies for life!

when a team like the Bloods plays with so much intensity as they have started the 2016 with it is just exciting --- COMPELLING !!!!

loving watching new faces
    missing my fav old faces last few years

it is a new era and their is now serious competition for spots

but most of all i really enjoyed the tinkering to the style of footy we played in each game thus far combined with execution !!!

the is a freshness about the joint
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Nice post, G S. Just to add a quick thing relating to our young players and Kirk. During last week's game, one little thing that immediately gave me a feeling of satisfaction was this: the ball went to an area of the ground where Heeney and Mills were close together, but surrounded by a nest of Crows, however with those two there, I just felt that the passage of play would turn out in our favour. It did. I often used to think this when Kirky was in a pack, and before that Paul Kelly. That is, in those little battles, even though we were outnumbered, I constantly felt confident that the Swans would prevail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast