Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 6 V Brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Nick Newman had an excellent game in the ressies. Could he be a chance?
    He's a rookie and needs to be elevated and he's no KPD.

Towers to defense. You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We need to play Aliir this week. With Talia and Reid also out, we have no experienced backup for tall defenders. We should consider ourselves very lucky that this happened at a point in our fixture when we have 2 easy games. It's the perfect opportunity to introduce a new player, particularly a key position defender. We don't want to be facing a situation where we are forced to play a first-gamer in a critical game because we have no other options, and it can and does happen. Richmond at the MCG in 3 weeks time is the game we should be looking at, and it would be nice if we have another backline option in Aliir in case the need arises.

I don't mind if Jones comes in, but not as a replacement for Ted, but rather if Laidler or Cunningham are also forced to miss due to injury. Aliir allows us to keep the structure of last game without shuffling around players, which is something we should be aiming for over the course of the season.

Ted is interviewed after the game (see Swans website) and shows not signs of injury whatsoever.
    With respect Ludwig I don't think Aliir is anywhere close to senior selection.

He was deadest ordinary on Saturday and I was below Rhyce and AJ and he was absolutely doing there head in. He is a perfect physical specimen and he is athletically and physique wise ready for AFL football but he just seems to have no positional sense at all. His kicking is OK without being sensational.

Maybe I saw him on an off day but from what I saw there is no way you could reward him on that.

It really does highlight how critically exposed we are in the KPD area, especially when we can't call on Mr Versatility Reid. If Laidler is also out then we'd definitely bring in Jones and probably Towers. Rampe would take the second tall and we'd probably bring McVeigh down back for some experience.

I'd be hoping very much we have him back for the Tigers but it gives Rampe an opportunity to show his wares in a more senior position and he's been a real unsung hero for us this year in my book

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Not the craziest idea I've heard....

Senior Player
    Teddy is out for next week Richards ruled out - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'd have to pass on that idea personally. As a half back then maybe, as the third tall/ hole filler absolutely not. If they're not prepared to give Allir ago then Jones comes in. Haven't paid much attention to the Brisbane set up but apparently they don't have too many talls to combat anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Absolute tripe about resting players after Round 5. There is a bye mid season you know. It is not about the individual but the team. You go resting players here and there and the balance and dynamic of the team changes. When you are on a good thing, stick to it.

Well there you go. With the news on Ted we don't dare rest anyone next week. He will only miss one.
    It's not tripe to manage first year players. They are not being dropped. They are recuperating so they can keep giving outstanding performances. History shows that most first year players who play continually eventually fatigue, sustain soft tissue injures and start to put in diminishing intensity and subsequently diminishing performances.

Keep Papley going as he is on a high from a great performance, but why not rest Mills and have him firing for the game after Brisbane. The Hawks are coming up and Mills needs to be physically fresh and ready for the likes of Brueast, Puloplo or Rioli.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    It's not tripe to manage first year players. They are not being dropped. They are recuperating so they can keep giving outstanding performances. History shows that most first year players who play continually eventually fatigue, sustain soft tissue injures and start to put in diminishing intensity and subsequently diminishing performances.

Keep Papley going as he is on a high from a great performance, but why not rest Mills and have him firing for the game after Brisbane. The Hawks are coming up and Mills needs to be physically fresh and ready for the likes of Brueast, Puloplo or Rioli.
    No reason at all to rest Mills after only five games as he is finding his feet in senior football, absolutely no reason at all.

Of course we should manage them throughout the season and at some stage I imagine they may give him a spell but only if they think his body needs it but I wouldn't think it would be until the back half of the season. Remember this kid has pretty much been part of our setup for three years now and he is pretty solid in build, you'd be stifling his development resting him now.

I think the best way to get match fit is by, errrrm, playing matches....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    With respect Ludwig I don't think Aliir is anywhere close to senior selection.

He was deadest ordinary on Saturday and I was below Rhyce and AJ and he was absolutely doing there head in. He is a perfect physical specimen and he is athletically and physique wise ready for AFL football but he just seems to have no positional sense at all. His kicking is OK without being sensational.

Maybe I saw him on an off day but from what I saw there is no way you could reward him on that.
    I've been critical of Aliir as well, so I understand your concerns. He's been very inconsistent. But he seems to be moving ahead of Xav Richards nonetheless. Key defenders are vulnerable to being toweled up one week and great the next. We can just look at Ted's performance the last 2 weeks. A lot of clubs are forced to play young inexperienced defenders way before they're ready and leak goals as a result, but it's part of the pain that clubs often go through to get experience into these guys.

I don't see playing Aliir as any sort of reward for him, but more an important part of our KPD development. As I said in my previous post, these situations where you can blood a player without risk of losing the game don't come around often. We've got a rare 2 week window and should take it as an opportunity. I wouldn't want Aliir to go into his 4th year on the list without a minute of AFL experience behind him. Ted, Reid and Talia will all be back in a matter of weeks if all goes well with their respective recoveries and the opportunities to play Aliir or XR will dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I've been critical of Aliir as well, so I understand your concerns. He's been very inconsistent. But he seems to be moving ahead of Xav Richards nonetheless. Key defenders are vulnerable to being toweled up one week and great the next. We can just look at Ted's performance the last 2 weeks. A lot of clubs are forced to play young inexperienced defenders way before they're ready and leak goals as a result, but it's part of the pain that clubs often go through to get experience into these guys.

I don't see playing Aliir as any sort of reward for him, but more an important part of our KPD development. As I said in my previous post, these situations where you can blood a player without risk of losing the game don't come around often. We've got a rare 2 week window and should take it as an opportunity. I wouldn't want Aliir to go into his 4th year on the list without a minute of AFL experience behind him. Ted, Reid and Talia will all be back in a matter of weeks if all goes well with their respective recoveries and the opportunities to play Aliir or XR will dry up.
    I suspect that if we are going to do it then the Bombers game would be the match, we won't want to take Brisbane lightly

I think Towers to backline is a good idea - he always looked a Marty mattner replacement

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I think Towers to backline is a good idea - he always looked a Marty mattner replacement
    That's where he played VFL football and that's where the swans expected him to make his mark but he was so poor in that position it didn't even take half a season for him to be moved out of that position. he hasn't played there for a good part of two and a half years now, I'm not sure it's a good move to try him there again. At least not in the seniors.

Always on the ball Ugg

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast