Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Papley the Rising Star

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Papley the Rising Star

'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    I backed Mills for the RS. But will he get a nomination.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Well done to Paps but I would have thought Peter Wright was the outstanding candidate this round.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I backed Mills for the RS. But will he get a nomination.
    Unless he gets injured shortly, absolutely he will. He wouldn't have been far off after last week's game, which followed a consistent body of work. His class shines through and eventually he'll get the nod.

That said, while RS nominations (and awards) are nice things to get, there are plenty of players who've received nominations in past years who faded quickly and now are nowhere to be seen. On the other hand, you get players like Luke Parker who never received a RS nomination.

Excellent work by Papley. Especially when you consider that before the NAB challenge, most people wouldn't have had him in line to debut this year; if at all. What with him being taken in the rookie draft, a year after he was first eligible to be drafted.
    And yes, Mills will get a nomination. Unless the people who do the selecting look at his general onfield demeanour and assume that he's already been playing for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Excellent work by Papley. Especially when you consider that before the NAB challenge, most people wouldn't have had him in line to debut this year; if at all. What with him being taken in the rookie draft, a year after he was first eligible to be drafted.
    And yes, Mills will get a nomination. Unless the people who do the selecting look at his general onfield demeanour and assume that he's already been playing for a few seasons.
    That kid amazes me, he looks like he has been playing senior football for four or five seasons not five games. At some stage he will tear up a game and get a nomination but on the whole I don't really think it matters but I do think the recognition for Papley is great.

Another one of the advantages of the academy system is that the drafted kids come in well versed in our structures and methods so settling in is so much easier.

Congrats to Paps. I think he might have quite a bit of improvement in him as well as he gets more skill training & experience.

More importantly though - does he remind anyone else of Quentin Tarantino, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Congrats to Paps. I think he might have quite a bit of improvement in him as well as he gets more skill training & experience.

More importantly though - does he remind anyone else of Quentin Tarantino, or is it just me?
    Long term you'd think he has to have some upside but I wouldn't be surprised if he levels out at some stage this year. Plus other teams may start to work him out.

He has 8 goals after 5 games, we have been crying out for a small forward for ages, if he can average 1.5 goals a game for the year i.e. mid 30s for the season then he will have really contributed

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Well done to Paps but I would have thought Peter Wright was the outstanding candidate this round.
    My impression is that while you have to have had a good game, they also look at your body of work across the season. That might account for preferring Papps over Wright?

Opti-pessi-misti
    Papley interview on Swan's website is very revealing. Not only does he have footballer grandparents, his father was Mummy's first football coach!! Football has been at the centre of his life since before he could walk and he is used to hanging out with the 'big' boys. Helps to explain how he has settled so amazingly effortlessly into senior football, from the rookie list. What a find!

Veterans List
    Max Papley was a quick highly skilled footballer. Jeff Bray was a barrel chested tough footballer of not great speed. However if you look at it the genes seem to have combined to give us a quick thinking, big tanked player with a bit from each side. Max's side the skills, Jeff's side the toughness/ wiryness. From the first time I saw him in the pre season games I thought this guy has a real X factor. Yes I am biased, because me and my brothers saw and admired the skills of Max. Tom is a high age draft pick so he is not one of those draftees seen as a player in development. I am stunned like all others how he has slotted in. A genuine revelation, who appears to have no downside. Hey, it looks like we have 3 real keepers in Paps, Heeney and Mills.

I thought Papley had better games in the first two rounds in all honesty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast