Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Papley the Rising Star

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Thanks Nico for that input on Max ... hadn't heard it before but it ties in with the mix of great and ordinary games. Still think Jeff needs equal billing in the reminiscing references.
    Jeff Bray is well remembered by older footy followers in Adelaide, from his days starring for West Adelaide in the SANFL. There is a bit about him in the following two references.

Jeff Bray (footballer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SA FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME: Jeff Bray

Apparently Max Papley and Jeff Bray became great friends when they both played for South Melbourne - which is how Tom Papley's parents met. Great story.

�Jeff and I (Max Papley) became best mates at South and stayed best mates to the point that when we had a son, he told me as the father of four daughters he could account for one of them just so long as I shared the wedding costs.

�When David and Susie married it was like a fairytale � and now Tom is part of that.�

No Cookies | Herald Sun

The bit about Tom's father (David Papley) coaching Shane Mumford (told by Tom in his media conference this week) is yet another great addition to the story. And this is why Tom chose number 41 for his guernsey.

Now we need to know a bit about David Papley. Clearly he also knew his away around a footy field.

Regular in the Side
    Terrific stuff ... thanks Meg.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Thanks Nico for that input on Max ... hadn't heard it before but it ties in with the mix of great and ordinary games. Still think Jeff needs equal billing in the reminiscing references.
    Max was my brother's hero. A few years back he met Max at a Swans function in Melbourne, and he told him the story. Skilton said Max was a more brilliant and skilled player than himself.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Jeff Bray is well remembered by older footy followers in Adelaide, from his days starring for West Adelaide in the SANFL. There is a bit about him in the following two references.

Jeff Bray (footballer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SA FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME: Jeff Bray

Apparently Max Papley and Jeff Bray became great friends when they both played for South Melbourne - which is how Tom Papley's parents met. Great story.

�Jeff and I (Max Papley) became best mates at South and stayed best mates to the point that when we had a son, he told me as the father of four daughters he could account for one of them just so long as I shared the wedding costs.

�When David and Susie married it was like a fairytale � and now Tom is part of that.�

No Cookies | Herald Sun

The bit about Tom's father (David Papley) coaching Shane Mumford (told by Tom in his media conference this week) is yet another great addition to the story. And this is why Tom chose number 41 for his guernsey.

Now we need to know a bit about David Papley. Clearly he also knew his away around a footy field.
    Thanks Meg. So good things can come out of Adelaide!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    When Tom played his first pre season game I had this feeling that we had found a genuine "X" factor. He was so lively and good around goals that I said to my brother thsi boy is very good. Having both seen Max play we were bouyed just to see the name out there. Now we recognise that we really have something special. I also sense that Buddy loves having him around. They seem to have a real rapport out there. I reckon we have a really good forward line that gives any other coach nightmares. We can rotate dangerous rucks and mids in here and it appears to create real confusion. I am looking forward to the game against the Dogs.

Veterans List
    Nice 'Sliding Doors' entry for the Swans from Damien Barrett this week on afl.com.au, "IF...you go back to the national and rookie drafts of last year........ you'll realise 83 players were selected by clubs before the Swans nabbed Tom Papley. Never give up on that dream."

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    When Tom played his first pre season game I had this feeling that we had found a genuine "X" factor. He was so lively and good around goals that I said to my brother thsi boy is very good. Having both seen Max play we were bouyed just to see the name out there. Now we recognise that we really have something special. I also sense that Buddy loves having him around. They seem to have a real rapport out there. I reckon we have a really good forward line that gives any other coach nightmares. We can rotate dangerous rucks and mids in here and it appears to create real confusion. I am looking forward to the game against the Dogs.
    There's certainly a nice balance about our forward line this year, much more unpredictable than last year

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    There's certainly a nice balance about our forward line this year, much more unpredictable than last year
    Than probably the last 20 years. With Hall & Lockett, your forward line will be somewhat predictable

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123