Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeremy Laidler signs on for another two years.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Not bad for a carlton reject
    Got to tell you Barry I was watching one of our games at the Aussie Bar in Kamala Beach, Phuket last season. It is run by an Aussie called Peter Crisp from Tassie who is a Geelong supporter. There was aguy sitting near me who was a Carlton supporter and Laids was playing a good game. Peter said to his mate, "and where did the Swans get him", The bloke bowed his head and said effing Carlton. He turned to me and said, "and Malthouse thought this bloke couldn't play. Gee we have got wrong for so long". He was clearly dismayed that we had turned a sows ear into a silk purse. He had no idea why Laids had not got a go. I said, and I said loudly, "and Geelong let him go". He is one solid defender.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, we're good at rehabilitating rejects. Though some might quibble with the term, reject, Ted Richards, Benny McGlynn and Josh Kennedy do spring to mind.
    And I was thinking while watching us dish out another thrashing to Carlton the other week, that Laidler must have been chuckling away to himself, that they were unable to find a place for him on their not so mighty roster.
    And a number 27 rookie who was passed up 2 years in row in the draft.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Not bad for a carlton reject
    Love this part Barry. This is such a hallmark for us. We don't only pick the guns, we mostly pick the underdogs, and then we bring on a journey to something greater. Kirky's Cortina metaphor from ten years ago is still strong today. Love it.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Love this part Barry. This is such a hallmark for us. We don't only pick the guns, we mostly pick the underdogs, and then we bring on a journey to something greater. Kirky's Cortina metaphor from ten years ago is still strong today. Love it.
    When it comes to defenders we target the role player. Dane Rampe too is a revelation. Both these blokes read the play so well. They take the right option in a contest and the only fault I see is the occasional stray kick. I love watching Rampe play. Both of them have huge tanks. But the great thing is they slot into the defence so well. We talk about the Ted/ Reg combo but these guys have their own mojo. They work so hard up and back and just seem to know where an opponent is. Throw in Smiffy and Macka and we have a top backline.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

Just wondering if you mean 24 Dane Rampe? If so, I'm also enjoying his work at the moment. At times, he actually reminds me of Leaping Leo. I'm not quite sure why? Maybe it's the sort of kamikaze way that he can arrive at contests, maybe it's the sometimes harem scarem manner that he has when he runs the ball out of defence?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Got to tell you Barry I was watching one of our games at the Aussie Bar in Kamala Beach, Phuket last season. It is run by an Aussie called Peter Crisp from Tassie who is a Geelong supporter. There was aguy sitting near me who was a Carlton supporter and Laids was playing a good game. Peter said to his mate, "and where did the Swans get him", The bloke bowed his head and said effing Carlton. He turned to me and said, "and Malthouse thought this bloke couldn't play. Gee we have got wrong for so long". He was clearly dismayed that we had turned a sows ear into a silk purse. He had no idea why Laids had not got a go. I said, and I said loudly, "and Geelong let him go". He is one solid defender.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Just wondering if you mean 24 Dane Rampe? ...
    Robbo?
    I remember after the Coffs Camp in 2014, he was the one Horse mentioned as looking a good chance to step up. It has taken a couple of years but he is here and doesn't look out of place.
    In 2015 he mentioned Nic Newman, so maybe he will break out in 2017 (if he doesn't get a chance this year).
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I like Laids. A lot. He is opposite to Ramps (who also couldnt get a gig) and I don't think other clubs have quite worked out that he is a prime part of the backline, they still work on prior assessments. Nothing flash, but just right for the job.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

When Laidler recovers from his concussion he's going to wonder why he signed on for 2 years on minimum wage.

Smart negotiating Swans

Laidler's game has improved so much, he has stepped up from being a fill in player to being a key part of the team, and he isn't letting himself get complacent
    Love his work
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12