Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Essendon

Changes for Rnd 7 V Essendon

Will Sinclair be ok? Will Smith be ok? Will Rohan be back? Is McVeigh getting a game purely on reputation? Should Lloyd be dropped? Do we need Papley and McGlynn in the same team? Does Aliir get another game?

Outs. Sinclair, Jones, and ?
    Ins. Nankervis, Rohan, Smith.

Surely Rose gets a game before Rohan?

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Surely Rose gets a game before Rohan?
    Rose probably deserves a game but that would give us 3 small forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Rose probably deserves a game but that would give us 3 small forwards.

Yes, but look who we are playing.With due respect this should be a game we dont select players not 95% fit at least and try to blood some fringe players. It could really give us some options around the selection table later in the year.

Outs: Sinclair, Papley

Ins: Nankervis, Rohan

Notes:

Papley can find and win the ball, but his disposal is not AFL grade. He is fortunate that he is playing for a team that is rated as a top 6 contender. He needs to improve his disposal by hand and foot.

Rohan gives more presence in the air and is more versitile than Papley. We also have the option of swapping McVeigh and Rohan between the forward and back line.

A couple of really tough games in the wet so there may be a player or two struggling to be fully fit by Saturday.

If Sinclair is out, Nankervis comes in. If Smith is available, Jones is the likely out.

McGlynn had a much improved performance yesterday in tough conditions. A few others were below par such as McVeigh, but can't see us penalising too many guys for struggling in the wet.

Given Rohan's injury history, I would find it highly unlikely that he returns to the firsts until he's had a steady build up of game time in the ressies. This year our selection policy has been as consistent as it has always been. We don't make big changes unless there are injuries and we swap "like for like". Hence, if Smith is fit, he'll come back in for Jones and if Sinclair is out, Nankervis will obviously come back in. To me, Papley has looked less effective since McGlynn has returned, but that's probably just them both trying to complement each other. He's a ripper of a young player and dropping him now would be a mistake IMO.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Forecast for Sydney is sunny weather all week - until Saturday, when there is a 40% chance of 1mm of showers.

So changes only if injuries/recoveries dictate.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post

Notes:

Papley can find and win the ball, but his disposal is not AFL grade. He is fortunate that he is playing for a team that is rated as a top 6 contender. He needs to improve his disposal by hand and foot.

Rohan gives more presence in the air and is more versitile than Papley. We also have the option of swapping McVeigh and Rohan between the forward and back line.
    So Hanners hasn't improved his kicking and handball. Makes as many mistakes as anyone. Can't kick on his right, kicks wildly at times and his handpassing at times is inappropriate and downright crap at times. So we drop him?
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 2nd May 2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Notes:

You really have it in for Papley don't you Luke?

I agree his disposal is not the best, but I'd argue he is bringing plenty to the team in other manners, and he will learn in that space. He has played a total of 6 games in the AFL so far! I feel he may drop out of the team later in the season anyway, but while we have a reasonable run of games in the next couple of weeks, he should maintain his spot. If we were dropping players on the basis of poor disposal quality, there'd not be many players left in the team.

As for Rohan, his best footy by far (in my opinion) in seniors has been at Half Back, and that is where we should be trying to fit him in the team. Yes he is a decent kick and a good mark up forward, but his pace and acceleration can really help with transition of the footy, especially when we have reverted a bit towards the 2012 slingshot approach to footy this year.

First thing first though, we need to be 100% sure Rohan is 100% fit - which to me means he should place at least a couple of more NEAFL games first.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

He's a first year player who has far exceeded expectations to date. If butchering the footy a few times in the wet was the catalyst for being dropped we'd have to replace Mitchell, McVeigh, and Hannebery as well.

Don't forget Paps had an enormous influence the previous week against the Eagles. Give the guy a break!

Pushing for Selection
    Changes....
    Not so much personnel, but the way we get the ball out of the contest.
    Seemed to me that the receiver was mainly too close to the contest. For example, JPK wins the ball and handballs to someone close by, say, Hanners. Hanners is under immediate pressure so he handballs to Mitchell. Because Mitchell is too close to the ruck, the Brisbane players could peel off and place Mitchell under pressure - resulting in the ball being slammed on the boot. If Mitchell were a meter or so further outside, there is more time and space to deliver, either to an outside runner or himself. Couple of times we did this I seem to remember McGlynn had space.
    Compare GWS and the way they busted us open a few times through running handball chains.
    I'm not talking about Diesel Williams 10-15 meter handballs picking out the runner, but just a little bit more space on the outside.
    Interested in the Board's thoughts on this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast