Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 6 Match Day Thread. Brisbane Lions V Sydney Swans. 1.10pm at The Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

Glad to get the 4 points, but we have a long way to go to match the top teams on that effort.
    Who are these top teams you speak of. Surely not Norf!!! The top team of the past 3 years just got belted by GWS.

I think KJ is a bit overrated. He's a good solid midfielder, not a star.
    If you rate his performances against that benchmark, he's ok.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I gotta agree with Mug and Deja, Rampe had a great game. I will have to watch a replay before my TLM votes though.
    This was the second week in a row where our backline has kept us in the game. So much for it being our weakest (or least strongest) part of the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Lloyd was a witches hat...
    He seemed to not recover from a hard hit early in the third(?) quarter. After that he just couldn't keep up with the game. BRING BACK THE SUBSTITUTE RULE!
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 2nd May 2016 at 10:32 AM.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Live, I only saw the initial stumble over his own feet.
    I only saw the second bump on the crappy replay screens at the ground, and it look like it was the 2nd bump that caused the injury.
    Thanks. I've now read enough people say that to believe that is correct. I was watching on TV and as far as I'm aware only Sinclair's first fall was shown. And I suspect Leppitsch only saw the first fall as well as he had the facts wrong in his ill-disciplined and inflammatory outburst in his media conference.

From what you (or anyone else) saw, did you think the bump that caused the second fall was legal? Some are saying it should have resulted in a free for Sinclair. (I realise this might be a very biased view however.)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks. I've now read enough people say that to believe that is correct. I was watching on TV and as far as I'm aware only Sinclair's first fall was shown. And I suspect Leppitsch only saw the first fall as well as he had the facts wrong in his ill-disciplined and inflammatory outburst in his media conference.

From what you (or anyone else) saw, did you think the bump that caused the second fall was legal? Some are saying it should have resulted in a free for Sinclair. (I realise this might be a very biased view however.)
    I thought that it was a legal shepherd. And if my biased perspective came up with that decision, then it probably was legal.
    Though I do think that Leppitsch's spray is way off the mark.

Strange old game. Had alot of star players and alot of passengers. Brisbane had sensational pressure. We barely rarely got any space with the ball and some players like Lloyd and Robinson couldn't handle it. Rampe and Reg were probably best on ground with Franklin following. Kennedy who I thought looked shakey at the start of the year found his amazing consistent form. Aliir had a sensational first quarter then went missing afterwards and seemed to always be looking to infringe as a defender, so I'm not sold yet but I'd like to see him again next week.

I thought Allir did well. McStay threatened to run riot in first 5 mins and was leading Reggie on a merry dance. Putting Allir in to him certainly quietened him down. A solid debut in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I gotta agree with Mug and Deja, Rampe had a great game. I will have to watch a replay before my TLM votes though.
    This was the second week in a row where our backline has kept us in the game. So much for it being our weakest (or least strongest) part of the team.

He seemed to not recover from a hard hit early in the third(?) quarter. After that he just couldn't keep up with the game. BRING BACK THE SUBSTITUTE RULE!
    I thought Laidler and Rampe in particular stood up superbly late on when the game was on the line. They both struggle with their disposals sometimes, but both are rapidly becoming the next cogs in the seemingly endless line of 'solid dependable defenders' that we've been lucky to have for the good part of two decades now. Rampe in particular was brilliant in a few key 1 on 1 plays late.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, my throat is still a bit sore from yelling similar things at the ground.
    And Christensen really is a shocker. It's probably about time that the Tribunal has a look at his constant staging and starts to issue some appropriate fines. One of his goals came from a decision where our player's contact was so low his arm was actually scraping the ground. While if there was any contact with Christensen's head, it may have come from clipping his team mate's knee. But of course, he was already throwing his head back before that contact.
    Its always been part of Christensen's game, it was when he was at the Cats, and still is now at the Lions. There are a handful of players around the competition that do this sort of thing week after week, and it is so frustrating.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Apparently Security were concerned the Wet Crepe Paper would ruin the ground in the rain.

I should attend more I/S matches. Since I started attending matches away from Melbourne in 2009, I haven't seen us lose. We've been damn close a couple of times.
    Yesterday was shocking.
    Moments of brilliance, and a few moments of hard work and pressure.
    But most of the time we were slack.
    Brisbane nearly always ran in packs. On turn overs they seemed to have many numbers running hard and free.
    We were also very wasteful with disposals just missing targets far too often, even from close range under very little pressure.
    Also trying to mark like dry weather rather than wet weather.
    We were just lucky that their long range goal kicking was off.
    Took 2 free kicks, a "Stretcher" break, Parker, and a couple of great marks from Laidler in defence to get us across the line.

Sinclair is a very average player. Mike Pyke was far superior to this bloke.
    Rampe was pretty average yesterday as well. For all his good work his turnovers are far too costly.
    Poor Allir. Not the best of debuts. At least his first few touches were alright.

No Smith or Ted left huge holes in our back line.

Glad to get the 4 points, but we have a long way to go to match the top teams on that effort.
    That is quite amusing if that is the reason ScottH about the banner. We did wonder why the Lions banner was all cut up like it was when they run out.

Allir looked a bit lost out there for large chunks - but there were a moment or two where he did a couple of decent things. I hope he gets a couple of more games to get some more experience and to highlight just how much more he needs to achieve before he reaches AFL level.

I disagree on Rampe - he had his brain fart moments, but I thought (as I posted a bit earlier) that he really stood up when needed towards the end of the game.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    I wonder if we should set up a complete forward line without Buddy - and play him permanently just outside the 50 and let him kick all our goals from there?

It must be so discouraging to the opposition when he just keeps doing it.

One of his kicks yesterday with a wet ball from outside 50 had us just looking at each other in awe and amazement - we couldn't think of anything to say.

I thought Aliir did well for a first game. I'm sure he was instructed to just play his role and not try anything spectacular. He gave up that free kick that resulted in a goal, but it was the kind of mistake you see from experienced defenders as well. Walker got into space on him to take the final mark and goal of the game, but that was nearly impossible to stop by someone playing from behind. I suppose we should have had someone guarding the space to stop the lead. As for the rest of the game, he did a pretty good job. The tv commentators were quite complimentary on his performance.

Even after viewing the replay I found it hard to assess our performance, but would lean toward the views expressed by many that Brisbane played a great game rather than being critical of our play. The wet conditions tend to produce a game that turns on making the most of opportunities. I was surprised by the stats showing that we had a sizable margin in both contested and uncontested possession. Brisbane were able to close down space effectively on those half seconds lost due to those little ball handling errors that happen in wet conditions. They produced some very strong marks and we seemed to just lose drop a few too many off our fingertips.

I also thought Rampe was our BOG.

I don't like to the expression 'we'll take the 4 points', but this time is an exception.

Veterans List
    Also I don't know if any here go to BigFooty's The Squiggle (Squiggle 2016) but it's a remarkable tool - and it shows us as consistently the strongest in defence. That's a good thing because the unpredictability we showed at the start of the season going forward seems to have disappeared and we're really relying on our defence. Rampe is a revelation. The way the Brions played yesterday - with Nick and Ted out - should have given them a win. Enter Super Dane and they are quelled.

It's also time we rated Luke and Hanners as the great players they are - both are our Energiser bunnies coming out supercharged each week.

AA struggled a little bit and dropped marks and the like. But his head never dropped and he provided constant defence throughout the day. He'll be better for the run so I hope he plays this weekend, too.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast