Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 6 Match Day Thread. Brisbane Lions V Sydney Swans. 1.10pm at The Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, having now looked at the Sinclair incident on replay, instead of the distant ground replay screen, it definitely should have been a free to Sinclair. I originally thought that it was half side/half back, but he turned before contact and was definitely struck squarely in the back by Gardner. Interestingly, the replay angle was the same as the angle that umpire Schmitt would have seen, but Schmitt should have had the advantage of being much closer.
    So if he had paid the obvious free kick, one of our players would have kicked the goal, while Sinclair got the appropriate medical attention and the ridiculous and already tedious 'stretchergate' would have been avoided. That decision just adds to the impression that he was giving an umpiring performance that was worthy of a MacLaren or a Stevic. And of course, my suspicion of Schmitt was further increased while watching the replay, by the fact that Dermott Brereton was affectionately referring to him as Schmitty.
    Though I suppose that it would be far too childish to suggest a nickname that rhymes with Schmitt?
    If it was Schmitt that was the umpire nearest, then I'm not surprised that there wasn't a free kick given. He came up with several 'interesting' calls in that last quarter to say the least.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Wow, the vision in the Rampe interview video is the clearest I've seen and yes, I now agree, it should have been a free kick. I was ambivalent about it before. Pretty stupid of Gardiner to risk it actually, although he did get away with it. Certainly puts the beat-up re the stretcher into even more perspective!

Some similarities with the timing of Betts' blatant two-handed push in the back of Smith in the last 90 seconds of the Crows match that was not penalised and led to the (in effect) winning goal. It seems to me the umpires are reluctant to call a free either way near the goals in the last few minutes of a game. The "put-away-the-whistle" syndrome.

Except when hawthorn are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Some similarities with the timing of Betts' blatant two-handed push in the back of Smith in the last 90 seconds of the Crows match that was not penalised and led to the (in effect) winning goal. It seems to me the umpires are reluctant to call a free either way near the goals in the last few minutes of a game. The "put-away-the-whistle" syndrome.
    Many people always say such a theorem is nonsense - but I tend to agree Meg. Too often calls aren't made in the last 5 minutes of a game, especially when its tight by the umpires. I really do think its not on purpose from most umpires, but rather they want to stay out of the game and not be seen as making the call that wins the game for one side or the other. Really frustrates me - if the free is there, it should be paid, regardless of where on the field it is and what time in the match it is, or how close a match is.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side
    I'm happy with the win, and not too disappointed with the way we played. I'm expecting ups and downs with such a young team. Some people may be forgetting we had ten players with less than 50 games experience, for a cumulative number of games of 195. The lion's least experienced ten had 349 cumulative games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    I'm happy with the win, and not too disappointed with the way we played. I'm expecting ups and downs with such a young team. Some people may be forgetting we had ten players with less than 50 games experience, for a cumulative number of games of 195. The lion's least experienced ten had 349 cumulative games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a nice stat BW - a good sign for our future surely!

Veterans List
    Finally got around to watch the replay - think people are being a tad harsh. Brissie played bloody well. Do suspect we need another mobile tall target up front. When's Reid due back?

Seems there is still some interest in pointing the finger at the Swans over Stretchergate.

'Evans suggested the AFL was still investigating the incident.

�We�ve had some contact with the Swans today and we�ll go through that over the next day or so,� he said.

Lions coach Justin Leppitsch queried the timing of the decision to bring on the stretcher and whether a team could use such an incident as a tactic to stop the game and get more players back in their defensive 50.'

AFL umpires blamed over stretcher incident | The Roar

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Buddy should have kicked 13. Poor hands on Sunday. Sure it was wet but he should have clunked more than four based of the number of times his hands were first to the ball. Sheesh! He was even dropping chesties that my late Nonna would have plucked and popped into the oven in her day.

Great to get away with the win and pretty gutsy in the end against a team that spent most of the day on top. I know it's a clich� but good teams find a way to win when playing below their best. I'm not reading too much into a below par performance. Every team is going to have a shocker every now and again. Best to pick up four points and do no great harm to percentage when you do.
    Buddy's poor hands are becoming a habit.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    They were a problem when he came to the Swans, but then he seemed to get on top of it. Hopefully this come again.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Being a bit harsh on Buddy?? He does clunk a few but don't forget he has had problems with his shoulders over the last 5/6 years and even Hawk supporters thought he was gone as a player when he came to Sydney.

Goes up to 11
    Blind Freddie could tell you that bombing it on high to Buddy and several defenders on a wet day is not going to be too productive. He does his best work on the ground, not in the air, and a bit further up the field. He was pretty good all things considering.

And it's very easy to watch on tv an expect players to easily mark a Sherrin on a wet day. Give it a go sometime and see how easy it is.

Senior Player
    Is there a stat for dropped marks against marks taken? Probably we notice Buddy's dropped marks more than other players because of who he is, and a desire to see him kick
    eight or nine or eleven goals every game. Didn't Hall have this problem till he worked out he was as blind as a bat and needed glasses or laser surgery. Maybe Buddy should head down to the local OPSM shop and get his eyes tested.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast