Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 6 Match Day Thread. Brisbane Lions V Sydney Swans. 1.10pm at The Gabba

Lot of passengers today. Didn't handle the conditions half as well as Brisbane, looked tired and didn't run as hard. Our talent got us through , just, but I'm tipping Horse won't be overly pleased with that display.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Hated it. If you call for a stretcher, use it. Tell the player to stay down. Should have been a free to Brisbane. I love the club because we normally hold real high standards but that looked total Magpies, Bombers, Hawks crap. Anything for the club and winning the game

Veteran Site Admin
    Definitely got away with one there. The Lions deserved to win - they were better for longer. I think there were definitely signs that the Swans coaching staff were concerned with how inexperienced the backline was, and kept one extra down there for most of the game, despite the fact that the Lions' extra in the midfield was a large part of the reason they collected so much ball in the midfield. There were lots of two on one contests, where the Swan did Ok to neutralise the ball but there always seemed to be a spare line to mop up the ball when it came free.

Oh well. There will always be some games during the year when the team's not at its best, and better to scrape four points than to drop a game that, on paper, should be won comfortably.

Nice to have no one complaining about the umpiring for a change.

Agree, our back-line stock is poor. Hopefully with Smith back and perhaps bring in X Richards, we might look better against Essendon.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Brisbane's skills were better than ours for most of the game, especially marking the high ball, or having players in position to grab the ball punched out of a pack. I thought Mitch Robinson was BOG.
    Aliir wasn't Ted but he was OK, a good match for him to be part of.
    Some crucial umpiring decisions and non-decisions made life hard for us, but the temporary loss of our own skills was more significant.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    Agree, our back-line stock is poor. Hopefully with Smith back and perhaps bring in X Richards, we might look better against Essendon.
    I'd be surprised and disappointed if they don't stick with Aliir next week.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Hated it. If you call for a stretcher, use it. Tell the player to stay down. Should have been a free to Brisbane. I love the club because we normally hold real high standards but that looked total Magpies, Bombers, Hawks crap. Anything for the club and winning the game
    While I do agree with the point you make, the ball up did not give an advantage to either team. The Brisbane player was crouched over the ball pretty much right on the boundary line with McVeigh harassing him in that direction anyway. It didn't affect the outcome.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'd be surprised and disappointed if they don't stick with Aliir next week.
    They must. Teddy out for a few weeks, use the time to establish Aliir as a viable defensive option.

TLM is open for voting this round.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

i thought brisbanes effort was 110% and if they executed another goal or two they might have got on a run

Like we see with the Hawks over the years ( except last night .....lol ) the experienced big players stand up in the heat of the battle with minutes on the clock only....... and I thought we did that to get the win !

Ted is a fair play maker in transition and Grundy didn't have his partner in crime to switch play with out of the backs and Brisbane were in numbers on the predictable clearance kicks from our backs

I thought Laids and Rampe were superb today though when we took the game on from the backs !!!

Laids made some crucial marks which gave us clean posession against the run of play and Rampe was on fire one on one and moving the ball out of defence

And Jones was less then half of Nick Smith today so our backline was tested

AA great first safe first game
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Lazy effort, lucky win.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Lazy effort, lucky win.
    Thats a bit harsh given we have had three tough games in a row against Gaints, Adelaide and Eagles the players would be a little tried and the conditions didn't help so maybe give them a break...

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast