Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 6 Match Day Thread. Brisbane Lions V Sydney Swans. 1.10pm at The Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Umpire Schmidt was doing my head in during the second half. So was Allen 'the bobblehead' Christiansen. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone try to milk as many high contact frees?
    Actually wasn't a bad game live, though the overpowering never quite came.
    Yep that umpire Schmidt was doing my head in too. He literally gifted Brisbane 3 goals from 15m out, 2 crap decisions to Christensen and another to some other Brisbane player for a very ordinary decision against Hanners.

But he didnt stop there...he also paid countless free kicks to Brisbane around the ground for some VERY soft decisions.

It got to the point where I literally yelled at the TV...."ANY CHANCE YOU MIGHT PAY A FREE KICK OUR WAY?!?!?!".

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    The Lions were great. They will win games this year with that effort. We take the four points.

Laidler was brilliant and Rampe won some key one on one battles. AA was solid and has all the athletic tools to be an effective player.

I liked Robinson's game and the tenacious way he hits the contest.

I don't know how long Papley has with his run in the seniors. As a small forward, I don't think he is efficient enough. Although he won the rising star last week, he wasted a lot of possessions. He needs to become more efficient like a Zorko. If Zorko had as many touches as Papley did last week, he would have kicked 6 goals. He was not clean today and needs to be impacting the scoreboard more.
    I thought Rampe was BOG for mine today. Agree re Robbo's development, he is coming along nicely.

AA did well, he did not look out of place. Two or three games then back to the NEAFL to work some more on the basics, I can really see him being that rebounding flanker we need, his athleticism is amazing and in football terms he is still learning a lot due to his late start in the game. Definitely work staying with.

I think they'll stick with Papley as he just gives us something a bit different up front in what was quite a predictable forward line. His disposal is a concern though but overall I think he has done well.

Again, today made me realise how important Ben McGlynn is to us, he just makes the big plays and he is always so hard at the footy

Some of the shine is coming off or early season form. Is it because of the return of mid level experienced players is making us more like the 2015 team again?

Veterans List
    Thought Lloyd had a poor game. He had 10 x 10 at 50%. Was very tentative at the close in stuff.
    Thought Mills was again consistent across 4 quarters and had some deft spoils in the close in contests. He was wearing his player like glue.
    Still not convinced of Robinson, who had a similar game to Lloyd.
    Those hard contests need everyone hard at it. Brisbane seemed to have more players in and under and running to contests. KJ probably should put that down as one to forget.
    Tippett, you star, from the first bounce.

Veterans List
    Sinclair was near to me. When he went down he stayed down in a foetal position. He didn't move at all. It looked really bad - and I presumed it had something to do with him falling over when he just had to stay on his feet to win the game for us. I saw the Swans staff with him, went back to watch the play and was amazed to see him limping off. I don't know who made the stretcher call but it didn't look like an over-reach when it first happened.

Rnd 6 Match Day Thread. Brisbane Lions V Sydney Swans. 1.10pm at The Gabba

It seemed to me that initially Sinclair fell over (possibly because of cramp) while leading the chase for the ball in front of two Brisbane players, running into an open goal. Then as he was trying to get to his feet one of the two Lions players bumped him causing him to again fall, this time awkwardly. And it was that second fall that resulted in him twisting and hurting his knee.

Can anyone confirm if that is what happened?

He certainly looked to be in considerable pain, clutching his knee and grimacing. I feared an ACL or other long-term injury. And given he was lying on the ground right in front of the goals I can understand that the Swans staff wanted to get him off the ground ASAP before a stampede of players came charging back.

The truncated video coverage of this incident starts about 5mins. 10 sec. into the highlights package.

Highlights: Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans - AFL.com.au

Like Buddy said, the Lions played some good footy . It was impressive how they stayed right in the game all day.
    They took so many more overhead marks than us with the greasy ball. Christensen was terrific .
    Tippo played his guts out , but gee his timing was off in the ruck for a long time.
    What a chookfest scramble when ten players arse up head down trying to find the ball on the deck and get it into space .
    Buddy is amazing in all conditions and he stays cool if something doesn't work out, doesn't do his block like the boundary rider used to .

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Yep that umpire Schmidt was doing my head in too. He literally gifted Brisbane 3 goals from 15m out, 2 crap decisions to Christensen and another to some other Brisbane player for a very ordinary decision against Hanners.

But he didnt stop there...he also paid countless free kicks to Brisbane around the ground for some VERY soft decisions.

It got to the point where I literally yelled at the TV...."ANY CHANCE YOU MIGHT PAY A FREE KICK OUR WAY?!?!?!".
    Yes, my throat is still a bit sore from yelling similar things at the ground.
    And Christensen really is a shocker. It's probably about time that the Tribunal has a look at his constant staging and starts to issue some appropriate fines. One of his goals came from a decision where our player's contact was so low his arm was actually scraping the ground. While if there was any contact with Christensen's head, it may have come from clipping his team mate's knee. But of course, he was already throwing his head back before that contact.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Well i can never remember a game where we have not had a banner to run through.... with the small crowd here it feels more like a reserves game.
    Apparently Security were concerned the Wet Crepe Paper would ruin the ground in the rain.

I should attend more I/S matches. Since I started attending matches away from Melbourne in 2009, I haven't seen us lose. We've been damn close a couple of times.
    Yesterday was shocking.
    Moments of brilliance, and a few moments of hard work and pressure.
    But most of the time we were slack.
    Brisbane nearly always ran in packs. On turn overs they seemed to have many numbers running hard and free.
    We were also very wasteful with disposals just missing targets far too often, even from close range under very little pressure.
    Also trying to mark like dry weather rather than wet weather.
    We were just lucky that their long range goal kicking was off.
    Took 2 free kicks, a "Stretcher" break, Parker, and a couple of great marks from Laidler in defence to get us across the line.

Sinclair is a very average player. Mike Pyke was far superior to this bloke.
    Rampe was pretty average yesterday as well. For all his good work his turnovers are far too costly.
    Poor Allir. Not the best of debuts. At least his first few touches were alright.

No Smith or Ted left huge holes in our back line.

Glad to get the 4 points, but we have a long way to go to match the top teams on that effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I thought Rampe was BOG for mine today. Agree re Robbo's development, he is coming along nicely.

AA did well, he did not look out of place. Two or three games then back to the NEAFL to work some more on the basics, I can really see him being that rebounding flanker we need, his athleticism is amazing and in football terms he is still learning a lot due to his late start in the game. Definitely work staying with.

I think they'll stick with Papley as he just gives us something a bit different up front in what was quite a predictable forward line. His disposal is a concern though but overall I think he has done well.

Again, today made me realise how important Ben McGlynn is to us, he just makes the big plays and he is always so hard at the footy
    Yes, Rampe also really impressed me yesterday. And a few stats from the AFL Record that caught my eye, suggests how good he's been this year. For metres gained, the AFL average for defenders is 258.7 per game: Rampe is going at 424.3. For rebounds out of the defensive 50, for other defenders the average is 2.9: for Rampe, it's 7.0. And for spoils: others 3.3, Rampe 7.4.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    It seemed to me that initially Sinclair fell over (possibly because of cramp) while leading the chase for the ball in front of two Brisbane players, running into an open goal. Then as he was trying to get to his feet one of the two Lions players bumped him causing him to again fall, this time awkwardly. And it was that second fall that resulted in him twisting and hurting his knee.

Can anyone confirm if that is what happened?

He certainly looked to be in considerable pain, clutching his knee and grimacing. I feared an ACL or other long-term injury. And given he was lying on the ground right in front of the goals I can understand that the Swans staff wanted to get him off the ground ASAP before a stampede of players came charging back.

The truncated video coverage of this incident starts about 5mins. 10 sec. into the highlights package.

Highlights: Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans - AFL.com.au
    Live, I only saw the initial stumble over his own feet.
    I only saw the second bump on the crappy replay screens at the ground, and it look like it was the 2nd bump that caused the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Thought Lloyd had a poor game. He had 10 x 10 at 50%. Was very tentative at the close in stuff.
    Thought Mills was again consistent across 4 quarters and had some deft spoils in the close in contests. He was wearing his player like glue.
    Still not convinced of Robinson, who had a similar game to Lloyd.
    Those hard contests need everyone hard at it. Brisbane seemed to have more players in and under and running to contests. KJ probably should put that down as one to forget.
    Tippett, you star, from the first bounce.
    Lloyd was a witches hat. Brisbane players just walked around him time after time and made what appeared to be some very half hearted attempts at the footy. One of the few times I've ever wished for the sub rule, to get him off the ground. Agree on KJ it certainly wasn't one of his best, why I don't know. I guess you just have off days, and Tippett proves yet again how much of a gun he is.

Can't forget Buddy, we tend to take him for granted and pretty much expect a performance like that every day, but without him we lose. BOG by a long way in my opinion.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast