Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Rnd 6 Match Day Thread. Brisbane Lions V Sydney Swans. 1.10pm at The Gabba

Allen Christensen is a good player, but it always upsets me to see him playing it up to get free kicks. They are often in front of goal and very costly ones. I had to check the records and found that Christensen got 57 frees last year, third in the AFL behind Joel Selwood and Anthony Miles, who both play as inside mids and are more likely to be in situations with their head over the ball. Our highest last year was Tippett at 39. The most Adam Goodes ever got in a season was 32 and he was constantly being accused of staging.

Ok, so AFL says umps mucked up and Swans did nothing wrong.

"the AFL has declared the Swans have no case to answer � putting blame squarely on the shoulders of the umpires for the stuff-up."

Swans say they feared Sinclair had ruptured his ACL (didn't we all as we groaned).

"SYDNEY has moved quickly to distance itself from �stretchergate�, claiming it initially feared big man Callum Sinclair had ruptured his ACL."

And the Lions grudgingly say, in very low key way that doesn't go anywhere near their original roar of rage, that "they do not believe the Swans deliberately exploited the stretcher rule".

Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans stretchergate, Swans feared Callum Sinclair ACL injury

Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans stretchergate: Lions don�t blame Swans

Hello... what's Buddy's excuse for his poor hands in the sunshine? I've been saying all year that he's got to be carrying some sort of injury that we don't know about. He's dropping enough sitters for me to question it.
    Just sayin'.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Hello... what's Buddy's excuse for his poor hands in the sunshine? I've been saying all year that he's got to be carrying some sort of injury that we don't know about. He's dropping enough sitters for me to question it.
    Just sayin'.
    All our games have been in the late afternoon or evening, apart from the two rain games, maybe the dew has been heavy and the ball is always slippery?
    BTW I don't think he has bad hands because his picking up the ball, and in close work is good. Not Mitchell or Micky O good, but he has a very good handball.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Just sayin'.
    I am guessing, but if he had really good hands he would kick 15 this week against the Bummers.

Last week he dropped a couple of chest marks. The Jumpers (synthetic something) were saturated and it was like the footy hitting a bare chest. It must sting a bit, and almost every player was dropping those. Back when jumpers were jumpers (wool) they held on to these. What's he averaging; 4+ goals a game. Not bad really, almost Pluggeresque. If he kicks a genuinely big bag this week he is on track for 100 for the season.

By the way, I think it was generally accepted when he came to us that he had a hand injury, and was never rated as a top over head mark.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    All our games have been in the late afternoon or evening, apart from the two rain games, maybe the dew has been heavy and the ball is always slippery?
    BTW I don't think he has bad hands because his picking up the ball, and in close work is good. Not Mitchell or Micky O good, but he has a very good handball.
    Round 1 - Pies - won easily, weather no factor
    Round 2 Carlton - Ethihad Stadium - no dew there
    Round 3 GWS - late afternoon game - weather no factor
    Round 4 Crows - weather not a factor
    Round 5 WCE - wet
    Round 6 Brisbane - wet

He is just not a great over head mark. Then again how many top forwards get a heap of over head marks each week. Any stats on that one Ludwig. To me it doesn't matter how he gets his goals if he gets 4+ a week. He is a star and plays well in any conditions.

He took a few big leaps which is unusual, but in general instead of trying to clunk the ball he seems to try and tap the ball around either to control it or get it to ground for second attempt or for others.

Been watching Buddy since he was drafted he was never a Mark and kick player and never will be he's not Hall or Locklett and if people want him to be they'll be left disappointed

Just sayin'.
    I agree with you - but all the great forwards did not do everything well but they were all great marks - if Buddy takes marks he wins the Coleman every year and the Swans win bigtime !! Buddy is the most athletic big man i have ever seen play

I've understood that Buddy had a long-standing thumb injury issue which affects his marking capability. The quotes/article below (written just before the 2014 GF) seem to confirm that. Perhaps it is again a problem this year.

He also had finger surgery just before Christmas 2015 for a bone spur that was affecting his marking and tackling.

"There's a suggestion the Swans medicos are managing Franklin's thumbs better than their Hawks counterparts, which is as simple as injecting Franklin's thumbs in different areas."

"He has an ongoing thumb injury stemming back to the start of the 2009 season. In 2013, he played with a guard and strapping."

"When he signed with Sydney and had his medical, club doctor Nathan Gibbs determined Franklin would not require an operation."

"Gibbs said he could manage Franklin. He has. The injection program has worked wonders."

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213