Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Essendon

Senior Player
    It was always going to be a tough ask for AA to come in and replace Teddy, but then to find Nick Smith was a non-starter, and to play in such crap conditions where the ball is like a cake of soap and the ground like an ice skating rink........that's one tough way to debut. It would be unfair to not give him a start again this Saturday. Thought he did alright considering.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There is a theory that Brisbane was able to dominate in the midfield because they had an extra, while our extra was back in defense covering any problems with Aliir.

In which case its a poor strategy. Against Essendon you'd hope we roll the dice and play man on man throughout the whole ground.
    They always did seem to have more around the contest than us and would win clearances with ease compared to us. Your theory may have some validity to it.

You can mark it down that a big name player or players will be 'managed' this weekend. We 'should' beat Essendon comfortably and then need to set ourselves up for a big month or so ahead.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a theory that Brisbane was able to dominate in the midfield because they had an extra, while our extra was back in defense covering any problems with Aliir.

In which case its a poor strategy. Against Essendon you'd hope we roll the dice and play man on man throughout the whole ground.
    I reckon that 'theory' is a total insult to Aliir.
    Swannies for life!

Senior Player
    Out: Robinson Sinclair
    In: Smith Nankervis

Let Sinclair have a week off to recover even if his knee is 70%.

Robinson hasn't done anything wrong in fact he's been quite good. I would just manage him a little and let jones have another senior game for continuity. With smith back he can marshal the defence a bit more and give direction to aliir along with reg and Ramps. McVeigh can then play more through the mids and forward like Robinson has been doing.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Out: Robinson Sinclair
    In: Smith Nankervis

Let Sinclair have a week off to recover even if his knee is 70%.

Robinson hasn't done anything wrong in fact he's been quite good. I would just manage him a little and let jones have another senior game for continuity. With smith back he can marshal the defence a bit more and give direction to aliir along with reg and Ramps. McVeigh can then play more through the mids and forward like Robinson has been doing.
    This makes sense to me.
    Even with our very young team we *should* beat Essendon.
    However our form line hasn't been good - we just played our worst game of the year. A glitch, or has our early season form flattered to deceive?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Rose probably deserves a game but that would give us 3 small forwards.
    Rose is 6'1", I would say he was a medium sized forward?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Rose is 6'1", I would say he was a medium sized forward?
    Rose is interesting. He looks lively in the seniors when playing but then he goes missing for long periods. I'd love to see him in the team at some stage just not sure where and for whom

Veteran Site Admin
    Heeney seems to be playing the early parts of games very deep in the forward line, only released further up the ground when he's struggling to get a touch in the forward line. This may be a deliberate policy, given his knee tendonitis issues, but I'd love to see him given earlier opportunities to play as a higher half-forward (as Hewett and Robinson are doing) or on the wing. That opens up a deeper forward spot for someone like Rose. All of our younger players have exceeded expectations so far this year, but it is inevitable that they will be inconsistent, whether due to their bodies struggling to cope with the physicality week after week, or just because they are young and inexperienced. I think we saw some evidence of that at the weekend, with all of them making some contribution but not over four quarters.

I'd like to see Rose introduced into a rotation with the others so that he gets a chance to play a handful of senior games in a row and get a feel for the pace and rhythm and senior team structures. I suspect what is holding him back slightly, compared to Heeney, Robinson and Hewett in particular, is his upper body size and the impact on his tackling. But in the game against GWS that he starred in during the second half, his tackling was a notable feature. I've not seen him since, so I don't know if that was a one off. But if he can improve his technique, and try to tackle with his core, rather than his upper body, there's no reason why he can't hold his own at senior level.

Senior Player
    I agree that rose is being held back because of his need to have more defensive pressure in his game.

Pretty straightforward this week:

Smith in; Jones out, thought Zak did OK but think he'll be in and out all year and probably get 10-14 games this year and really push for a regular spot next year.

If Sinclair is in any doubt at all then don't risk him and give Nankervis another go as he is coming along nicely as our third ruckman but we must be kicking ourselves that GWS took Lobb ahead of our second rounder that draft.

AA will be better for the run and I believe that our debutants are usually virtually guaranteed a spot for at least a couple of weeks to ease the first game nerves and he did quite well. McVeigh stays (early contender for dumbest idea of the year for dropping him) as does Papley. I'd like to see Hewett have a good four quarters this week, he's coming along nicely and he will be a good long term player but right now he'll be making way for Sam Reid when he is fit again.

Rohan needs at least another couple of weeks in the twos but whose spot would he take? No way can you drop Lloyd and I'd almost say the same for Robbo who are two easy targets, Maybe Hewett, I really find it hard to find a spot for him at the moment so he might be there in the NEAFL for longer than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Rose is interesting. He looks lively in the seniors when playing but then he goes missing for long periods. I'd love to see him in the team at some stage just not sure where and for whom
    I see Rose as forming part of a relatively long term block of decent squad players that provide good depth for the senior squad and provide a strong NEAFL side, both of which are important. Unlike many clubs I think we really value stability in the squad and by being not too ruthless we allow development. And provided these guys don't mind being paid relatively modestly and are good professional role models for new players then I think the club provides patience.

I see Towers, BJ, Rose and Nankervis in this category, I don't think they'll ever play a heap of senior footy and I'd be worried if they were in our finals teams but they'll do a job when required during the season. It's part of the re-building of our depth that is seeing our ressies going really well again after a couple of years where we struggled just a little

Senior Player

It was pretty obvious from being at the game that we played a spare man in defence throughout a lot of the game . At the end that we were sitting at Dane Rampe appeared to be playing almost like a sweeper / goalkeeper in the second and fourth quarters. Whether this was to " cover any problems " or just a reasonably sensible plan given the wet conditions I don't know.
    Hindsight is a powerful and convenient tool when assessing how our sporting teams perform from week to week ????

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast