Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Essendon

Let's have fun guessing the changes

Footy clubs are all about managing, team strengths and weaknesses. Ad having a balances of people that can play positions in their prime. But that is never the case, people take time to develop and learn their skills other take years just to grow into their prime it's all about trusting that your team knows the best picks based on internal form and future plans for that the player, to show and learn his skill in the first when he time comes. The team knows the players strengths and weakness, we are just here to have some fun for the weak picking the team. No not really a do or die ... Just have fun picking the wk team. It always named on the Friday each wk no need to explain in detail every selection. Just have fun.

Veterans List
    No change. Sinclair starts in the forward pocket in a moon boot. Tippo takes the first ruck contest., but all other players start on wing. The club has decided to do this finally after reading on RWO at various times that all players should play on the wing. This will confuse the heck out of the high flying bombers and give us a fighting chance to jump them and get a winning break. Also short players capable of playing tall will pick up a tall, and tall players capable of playing short will pick up a short player. McGlynn has been assigned Joe Daniher and Buddy has been assigned Bird in a run with role. The club is prepared to take a fine for late inclusion of Reid after ready on RWO that the wing is his best position. They toyed with dropping Papley after he copped a pasting on the site, but decided against their better judgement to retain him this week.
    On reading that a prominent senior player should be rested this week, they again resisted and gave Buddy the run with role to improve his defensive skills.
    Kennedy, Hanners, Parker and Mitchell were considered for a rest on the basis of leather poisoning.
    Lllooooyed and Robinson are retained because the names roll off the tongues of commentators.
    Smith will not be recalled for disciplinary reasons. He missed training and was reportedly at the hairdressers with TD. He only got 1 week because he refused the pedicure. A others retain their spots on merit.

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Who knows - but he is a 21 yo ruckman who has shown development every year so far, so I'd be a bit more positive about his chances.
    I've changed my tune re Nankervis. I still think he is probably a bit too slow to be a regular senior player but I do think he could well fill a role as our third ruckman and bit part forward who probably gets 5-6 games a season and is honest and gives his all when he does play. Clubs need these workhorse squad players too and if he can eke out a 60-70 game career with us over 10 years then he will have had a decent run. And there's the fact he's only 21 and ruckman typically develop later - his pass mark every year should be whether his game has improved over the last twelve months and I think so far he is ticking the boxes

Veterans List
    Ludwig is very creative. Maybe he could devise an RWO box ticking pro forma for use by members to rate players at the start, during and the and of the season. We could then have a weekly box ticking discussion on trading for the next season, starting at round 1. The prize being an elephant sticker to the poster who gets his box ticking to nearest the pin.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    His disposal is just fine thanks, better in fact than most of our more experienced players. Look at the stats Luke.
    Actually, the stats say Papley is going at 61% disposal efficiency - the worst (equal with Towers) of anyone who's played a game for us this year. I'm not saying we drop him - I'm a huge fan - but the stats suggest he needs to work on his disposal

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Actually, the stats say Papley is going at 61% disposal efficiency - the worst (equal with Towers) of anyone who's played a game for us this year. I'm not saying we drop him - I'm a huge fan - but the stats suggest he needs to work on his disposal
    Thanks Swansrob. I had an intrinsic view that Papley's disposal needed work. The stats support this view.

The beauty about bringing in Rohan for Papley is that you can put McVeighs forward to play Papleys role. McVeigh disposal efficiency will allow more goals to be kicked and better oportunities for Franklin, Sinclair and Heeney.

Rohan can break the lines through half back and can also spend some time forward.

Papley has a big future, but I think some time to work on his game in the twos is warranted. People will go on about the West Coast game. Papley stats were good in that game, but a lot of opportunities were wasted, particularly in the first half.

Jake gotta be there ... 50 games this weekend. That seems to have come around quick.

Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    Jake gotta be there ... 50 games this weekend. That seems to have come around quick.
    I just checked online and find it hard to fathom that Mitchell has under 50 games. I was taking him for granted!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    Thanks Swansrob. I had an intrinsic view that Papley's disposal needed work. The stats support this view.

The beauty about bringing in Rohan for Papley is that you can put McVeighs forward to play Papleys role. McVeigh disposal efficiency will allow more goals to be kicked and better oportunities for Franklin, Sinclair and Heeney.

Rohan can break the lines through half back and can also spend some time forward.

Papley has a big future, but I think some time to work on his game in the twos is warranted. People will go on about the West Coast game. Papley stats were good in that game, but a lot of opportunities were wasted, particularly in the first half.
    Rohan has played 1 game in the 2's. What were his average stats last year; not very many I bet. Breaking the lines, oh please. He has the occasional dash that everyone remembers and then thinks he does it every 5 minutes. He is as loose as granny's teeth. His best game was against North in PF then next week, zippo. Rohan has a lot of work to do to get anywhere near a top player. Let him earn his place, then keep it. No free passes.

And another thing; he is either a back or forward. Not mister versatile who the coaches can swing back and forward. My observation has been that he gets put forward when he is going ordinary in defence. At this point in his career he just doesn't get anywhere near enough footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Rohan has played 1 game in the 2's. What were his average stats last year; not very many I bet. Breaking the lines, oh please. He has the occasional dash that everyone remembers and then thinks he does it every 5 minutes. He is as loose as granny's teeth. His best game was against North in PF then next week, zippo. Rohan has a lot of work to do to get anywhere near a top player. Let him earn his place, then keep it. No free passes.
    Agree. Dropping a player who has had 1 quiet game(still had 13 touches and 4 tackles from a forward pocket)....

After playing a significant role for the previous 4 games....Would be fool hardy, and counter productive, IMO.

Papley has more than earned his spot.

Love Gary Rohan, but he also needs to earn his spot.

Added to that, the obvious player for Rohan (who is not a small forward) to replace is Robinson, not Papley.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    Spot on Ernie old mate.

Pushing for Selection
    I totally get the idea that spots have to be earned.
    But I think there are differing issues here.
    1. Is to drop and promote players so as to get the best possible side on the field;
    2. Is to manage players by resting where possible; and
    3. Is to get as much experience into young players as possible.

These compete with each other.

This week is Essendon. We should win, hubris aside.
    It is a good opportunity to give 2 and 3 priority.
    Therefore Nankervis should play for Sinclair - and to make sure Sinkers is fully fit.
    Young bodies have difficulty with a long season, so Papley should be rested. That means not playing in the Magoos, but a light run on the weekend. This is not the same as dropping him after a relatively poor game. He gets another 6 games until the bye.
    Happy to give Rohan a run only on that basis only.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast