Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    Thanks Swansrob. I had an intrinsic view that Papley's disposal needed work. The stats support this view.

The beauty about bringing in Rohan for Papley is that you can put McVeighs forward to play Papleys role. McVeigh disposal efficiency will allow more goals to be kicked and better oportunities for Franklin, Sinclair and Heeney.

Rohan can break the lines through half back and can also spend some time forward.

Papley has a big future, but I think some time to work on his game in the twos is warranted. People will go on about the West Coast game. Papley stats were good in that game, but a lot of opportunities were wasted, particularly in the first half.
    Just like you go on and on and on and on about one game Rohan played more than 18 months ago...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Crusty; I disagree. If you give a player a complete rest simply on the basis he may be tired, he loses match fitness and touch. I just don't get the give Papley a rest theory. The club will know if they think he needs resting or time in the 2's. Papley has shown nothing to indicate he is tired. On Rohan; if he is not ready to play 1's he doesn't play. He has come back from a serious injury. Put him in the 1's when he is not ready is a recipe for disaster. If he gets reinjured because he is rushed back, then he is likely out for the year.

When you are a top team, continuity of playing of that team is what takes you to finals. If in the few weeks prior to the finals someone needs resting, and we are in a good position, then that is the time to rest.
    Nico, the purpose of the rest is to prevent future injury in an unhardened body. Continuity I agree is important, but I disagree with your emphasis upon it. Too much emphasis on continuity means we are at the mercy of the injury gods. Swansfan51 (I think) or someone showed that 28 players are needed, to cover for injuries etc. Players rotate through positions on game day. Players also have defined roles. Hawthorn have shown us that "one soldier out, one soldier in" works.
    This is Essendon, so in my view it is not that big a deal to rest someone.

"The club will know if they think he needs resting or time in the 2's."
    Of course it does. We're all just p1ssing in the wind here. (Or at least I am)

Regarding Rohan: I agree, he should not be rushed back, but I proceeded on the assumption that he is fit.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Along with his game against norf, he also played the best qtr of footy I saw from a sub against the weagles.

We were way behind and he was a maniac, into everything, got 9 touches in the qtr, kicked a goal and got us over the line.

That mind you was back in 2011..
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought McVeigh was pretty reasonable last week, and OK for his first game back the week before. Not sure what has sparked the suggestion the club should drop him. Bit weird really.
    I thought he wasn't great last week, but I wasn't overly concerned by it and don't think there should be any real consideration for him to be dropped. A lot of his value is in precise/clever disposal, and in the wet he's never really had enough power in his legs to kick truly with a heavy ball. I won't be losing sleep over it.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Just like you go on and on and on and on about one game Rohan played more than 18 months ago...
    What about playing the ball?

And on an unrelated note regarding your post on page 3, MP, I share your ongoing angst about missing out on Lobb but he was never in our grasp. GWS knew we wanted a ruck and had our peepers on Lobb and that's exactly why they grabbed him first just a couple of picks before we were left to collect Nank. Still, if only, if only....

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    What about playing the ball?

And on an unrelated note regarding your post on page 3, MP, I share your ongoing angst about missing out on Lobb but he was never in our grasp. GWS knew we wanted a ruck and had our peepers on Lobb and that's exactly why they grabbed him first just a couple of picks before we were left to collect Nank. Still, if only, if only....
    We could have picked him instead of Jones. Not saying we should, just that we did have a pick when he was available to be taken.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    We could have picked him instead of Jones. Not saying we should, just that we did have a pick when he was available to be taken.
    Have to admit that Lobb looks very impressive. Such a big man with suck agility is amazing, a bit like Nit Nat. Though I think Jones will eventually be a good player for us, though last week's game was a shocker!! Had a look at the replay and though Allir has some good skills but needs a lot of work on his defensive skills. i.e. positioning, tackling, corralling etc.

Lobb was the highest rated ruckman in the 2013 draft, but I never would have expected him to develop into the contested marking force he's become. I was a bit surprised at the time when GSW took him at pick 29, but can see why now. 2013 is becoming a very interesting draft year in retrospect.

I was hoping we would pick Blake Acres with our first pick, but I'm okay with Jones. A number of good KPPs went in the 20s. I'm pleased that Hewett was still available at pick 32 and probably Kinnear was surprised to see him still available. I've been a bit critical of our drafting strategy in 2013, but Nanka is looking better and if Aliir makes it, I'll take back all my criticism and my hat's off to our recruiting team.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Have to admit that Lobb looks very impressive. Such a big man with suck agility is amazing, a bit like Nit Nat. Though I think Jones will eventually be a good player for us, though last week's game was a shocker!! Had a look at the replay and though Allir has some good skills but needs a lot of work on his defensive skills. i.e. positioning, tackling, corralling etc.
    I am the same on Allir. When they showed wide angled shots he was just walking in no man's land. Maybe he was overawed by the occasion but if as a backman, you are not prepared to be on the ball at stoppages, then you probably should not be out there.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I am the same on Allir. When they showed wide angled shots he was just walking in no man's land. Maybe he was overawed by the occasion but if as a backman, you are not prepared to be on the ball at stoppages, then you probably should not be out there.
    Was he doing it under instruction? The leaders should have been directing if he was in the wrong spot. Hard to know what the case is.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 5th May 2016 at 04:47 PM.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

We really needed someone in the back 6 to give him some more direct feedback on where he was needed - he definitely looked lost a number of times watching the game live. The guy has skills with the footy, but his defensive positioning appears to leave a fair bit to be desired at this stage. Happy for him to get a couple more games while Teddy is out - he will learn and improve in time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    We really needed someone in the back 6 to give him some more direct feedback on where he was needed - he definitely looked lost a number of times watching the game live. The guy has skills with the footy, but his defensive positioning appears to leave a fair bit to be desired at this stage. Happy for him to get a couple more games while Teddy is out - he will learn and improve in time.
    IIRC at a break they showed McVeigh pointing out something/instructing him. I would be surprised if he wasn't constantly instructed.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast