Thread: AFL 2016 form guide

AFL 2016 form guide

On the AFL website they've gone through all the teams to find who's in form and improving this year and who's on the slide. Very interesting. We are the only team with only two on the slide.

2016's form guide: The risers and the fallers - AFL.com.au

Also interesting to see were the trades we've made in the past couple of years;
    1: Nick Malceski - big slide
    2: Craig Bird - sliding
    3: Jessie White - gooonnneee missing
    4: Mummy is the only ex going up and up and up (predictable).

Anyone doubting our trade power to predict near future players form should take a long hard look at this and thank them.

Veteran Site Admin
    Analyses like this irritate me no end. The idea of building a rating system built on "objective measures" might sound reasonable in theory, but there is still a lot of judgement involved in the relative values placed on different kind of qualitative measures. I think you need to look at the output from a system and see what it tells you to judge whether the rating system has any merit.

Using a non-Swan as an illustration, any system that rated Sam Mitchell as the 40th player last year, up to 27th so far this year, has to be questionable. Over the last few years, he's arguably been the single most influential player in by far the best team (especially the best team when it really counts). Had it not been for his great form so far this year, the Hawks would probably only have won a couple of games so far this year. I'm not a great admirer of his in terms of some of the niggle and questionable sportsmanship he gets up to, but it's hard to deny his influence on the success of his team.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Also

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    On the AFL website they've gone through all the teams to find who's in form and improving this year and who's on the slide. Very interesting. We are the only team with only two on the slide.

Anyone doubting our trade power to predict near future players form should take a long hard look at this and thank them.
    You would have to add Shane Biggs to the list as someone on the up. Would be handy in our backline at the moment.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Analyses like this irritate me no end. The idea of building a rating system built on "objective measures" might sound reasonable in theory, but there is still a lot of judgement involved in the relative values placed on different kind of qualitative measures. I think you need to look at the output from a system and see what it tells you to judge whether the rating system has any merit.

Using a non-Swan as an illustration, any system that rated Sam Mitchell as the 40th player last year, up to 27th so far this year, has to be questionable. Over the last few years, he's arguably been the single most influential player in by far the best team (especially the best team when it really counts). Had it not been for his great form so far this year, the Hawks would probably only have won a couple of games so far this year. I'm not a great admirer of his in terms of some of the niggle and questionable sportsmanship he gets up to, but it's hard to deny his influence on the success of his team.
    On Mitchell, I did hear a theory, on the radio or a podcast, last weekend (or the weekend before) that clubs don't tag him because they don't think his possessions are actually damaging, that there are more influential Hawks that need minding. I can't remember much more than that, maybe something along the lines of his possessions are in the middle and back half of the field and he isn't as much of a threat going forward? I don't claim to say that is the way it is but it does explain why he is not tagged regularly.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    On Mitchell, I did hear a theory, on the radio or a podcast, last weekend (or the weekend before) that clubs don't tag him because they don't think his possessions are actually damaging, that there are more influential Hawks that need minding. I can't remember much more than that, maybe something along the lines of his possessions are in the middle and back half of the field and he isn't as much of a threat going forward? I don't claim to say that is the way it is but it does explain why he is not tagged regularly.
    I know it was 2 years ago but who do you think hammered us out of the centre in the GF of 2014. Watching last week's game against GWS, Mitchell was about the only one having a red hot go. The much vaunted Hodge, the Brereton heart and soul of Hawthorn, was running around belting players. I agree with Liz's thoughts on Mitchell. Anyone who gets 30+ a game hurts the opposition. He sure as hell hurts us when we play them.

RS; that theory sounds like a David Kingism.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    ... RS; that theory sounds like a David Kingism.
    It did sound specious at the time, it probably was a doofus like that.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    It did sound specious at the time, it probably was a doofus like that.
    I don't see anyone at Hawthorn even remotely threatening to take over his mantle when he hangs up the boots.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post

Tim Membery

The simple way to compare giants v suns is to look at the backline play maker. Both have expirienced players.

Shaw is 100x malceski

So far Nick is not the same player for the Suns as he was for us.
    I am glad we had Nick when we did in his career, and I could never boo him.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Tim Membery
    One decent game in how many outings?

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    One decent game in how many outings?
    It's the 2016 form guide.
    One game, 5 goals.
    Makes him a riser.
    Last edited by Crusty; 5th May 2016 at 10:46 AM.