Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: They are at it again. GWS under the pump

Maybe now he knows how it feels to be constantly attacked and he is not handling it too well. Like James Hird he is not used to being questioned or people standing up to him.

How does an afl commisioner get appointed. Do the clubs vote on it. Could,say, a voting block of 4 clubs veto an appointment?

Eddie has done it again with GWS loosing priority access to academy prospect Todd Marshall due "to a process error rather than a lack of involvement with the club's academy since he signed up." It seems that Gil & co are just puppets with the likes of Eddie pulling the strings. The guy just wont let up until the Northern teams are totally on their knees and subservient.

Gill is a weak dog

Todd Marshall has spent the past 2 winters playing cricket in England. Not the Giants' fault that they couldn't do anything with him during this time, but nonetheless it seems a good argument that they don't deserve priority access to him. Kinnear Beatson has already come out and said that academy clubs need to show that they have been involved in the development of players that they have priority access to. He hasn't directly commented on this case, to my knowledge, but I would guess he would agree with the AFL's decision. That said, I really don't know the details about this particular case, nor the specific rules concerning this type of situation.

The AFL is making up the rules as it goes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Todd Marshall has spent the past 2 winters playing cricket in England. Not the Giants' fault that they couldn't do anything with him during this time, but nonetheless it seems a good argument that they don't deserve priority access to him. Kinnear Beatson has already come out and said that academy clubs need to show that they have been involved in the development of players that they have priority access to. He hasn't directly commented on this case, to my knowledge, but I would guess he would agree with the AFL's decision. That said, I really don't know the details about this particular case, nor the specific rules concerning this type of situation.
    And whilst the AFL are at it they can rule out the kids who have spent their last two years at Melbourne private schools on football scholarships.

Beatson nails it. The other clubs see us at the Swans busting our guts spending millions on true development and they'll wear it. We can show and they clearly see that the kids we produce are converts the code as Mills and Heeney clearly are. And we develop hundreds of kids for each one we draft. Ditto with Brisbane and their Hyundai sponsored academy whilst Gold Coast really seem to have drawn the short straw where they are.

But they aren't prepared to see this mob just cherry pick a fertile recruitment zone that they put no real effort into, they rightly get annoyed. And whilst it is a separate issue to the draft concessions they are related as in GWS have been given enough to get up to speed, they've played the system well so they don't need special assistance.

For starters only kids that play TAC Cup (or are able to if injured) should be allowed to be eligible. Every single one of our kids is, why should theirs be?

And the AFL should do a full and public audit of the academy work that GWS is actually doing in these areas to justify the benefits they get.

They are development zones and no recruitment zones. Take the Riverina out and the issue dies.

I've said it before and I'll say it again because it is a disgrace. They have the biggest development zone in Australia in Western Sydney and they are doing NOTHING to that region because they do not have the bottle or the will. They do similarly little in Canberra but then expect to be able to draft any talented kid in an AFL heartland.

On this issue I'm 100% with the Melbourne clubs.

The rules are in the AFL document AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE RULES May 2016. These can be accessed through the AFL site link AFL Policies - AFL.com.au

There a number of rules concerning eligibility:

Academy Eligibility

(a) Player Eligibility for Inclusion in Club Academy
    (i) A Player is eligible to be included in a Club Academy only if the Player satisfies the age requirements under Rule 14.2(b) (subject to Rule 14.9) and, unless determined otherwise by the AFL, the Player is domiciled in that Club�s Academy Region.
    (ii) Notwithstanding clause 14.2(a)(i), the AFL may direct a Club to include a Player in its Club Academy.
    (b) Age Requirements
    Subject to Rule 14.9, a Player must satisfy the following age requirements in order to be included in a Club�s Academy:
    (i) A Player must have attained the age of 10 years or will attain the age of 10 years on or before 31 December in the Football Year that they are first included in the Club Academy.
    (ii) A Player must be under the age of 18 years as at 31 December in the Football Year that they are included in a Club Academy.

Club Academy Player � Continuing Eligibility

Unless otherwise determined by the AFL, a Player included in a Club Academy must:
    (a) remain domiciled in that Club�s Academy Region; and
    (b) be registered and play in an Australian football competition located in the Academy Region; and
    (c) if selected, represent either New South Wales or Queensland, as the case may be, at any underage national football championships; and
    (d) attend Player screening/testing as directed by the AFL National Talent Manager.

Are the GWS TAC Cup players "be registered and play in an Australian football competition located in the Academy Region"?

I don't think that the Academy discount should be given for players whose development is not provided by the Academies. Fair enough, they can still be available to be selected by the clubs at the national draft but not at a discount.

Veterans List
    Can someone please answer this; I am from Melbourne so I can only go on what I read. It occurs to me that the good folk of Western Sydney are made of many ethnic groups, and that many of these have no traditional connection with aussie rules. Just because there is a large pool of people doesn't mean it translates to a throng of enthusiastic youths who want to play the game. True or false? I thought that they got the Riverina on the basis that the conversion of the Western Suburbs was a long term project. GWS, like us have played by the rules, but success is not an option in the eyes of some.

These due process rules trotted out a couple of weeks ago were clearly targeted at this GWS kid. They make this crap up on the run. The rule should apply from 2017.

Is there anyone at the AFL who can think through and write a business plan that might stand the test of time, without having to constantly make changes?
    Last edited by Nico; 12th May 2016 at 12:38 AM.

I don't know how true or false it is. There has been and there is talent in the GWS Sydney zone. Michael Hartley who played for Essendon last week is from Penrith. I am fairly sure a number of West Sydney players were picked up under the old scholarship scheme. A number of junior clubs in Sydney were moved out from the Swans academy zone to the GWS academy zone.

GWS also have Canberra and southern NSW. Tex Walker is from Broken Hill which is part of the GWS zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Can someone please answer this; I am from Melbourne so I can only go on what I read. It occurs to me that the good folk of Western Sydney are made of many ethnic groups, and that many of these have no traditional connection with aussie rules. Just because there is a large pool of people doesn't mean it translates to a throng of enthusiastic youths who want to play the game. True or false? I thought that they got the Riverina on the basis that the conversion of the Western Suburbs was a long term project. GWS, like us have played by the rules, but success is not an option in the eyes of some.

These due process rules trotted out a couple of weeks ago were clearly targeted at this GWS kid. They make this crap up on the run. The rule should apply from 2017.

Is there anyone at the AFL who can think through and write a business plan that might stand the test of time, without having to constantly make changes?
    Mug Punter would be best placed to answer this question, but their are actually some good AFL zones in Sydney.

Eastern Suburbs - strong Auskick numbers and some strong junior clubs such as Easts and the Marobra Saints. Will Langford is probably the best known AFL player from this zone. Abe Davis and Jordan Foote were also developed in this zone. Could become a rich zone for talent if the AFL can fully penetrate some of the private schools in the area. These private schools are hanging onto Rugby Union for dear life. This blocks the path of talented juniors from the age of 12.

Inner West - dominated at senior level by the powerful Sydney Universiry club they have produced AFL listed players such as Tom Young, Jack Hiscox and Jarrod Witts (Jarrod Witts like LRT was from a North Shore Private School). The area is fed by strong well run junior clubs like the Glebe Greyhounds.

North West - probably the best AFL zone in Sydney. Strong senior clubs such as Penant Hills and the East Coast Eagles. Also have really strong junior set ups. Have produced Lenny Hayes, the Jack boys and McVeigh.

North Shore and Northern Beaches. Strong junior setups that has produced AFL players like Mills and LRT.

LRT and Witts both went to North Shore Private Schools and were from Rugby backgrounds. Both superb athletes, they were good rugby second rowers, but ideal builds for AFL.

There is however not much great News in the Western Suburbs of Sydney. Two of their previous strong clubs such as Wests and Cambletown are in decline. Wests produced Nick Davis, but being based at Crydon could almost be termed an Inner West club now. Wests junior numbers are in decline and without money their senior team is weak. Campbeltown did have a hand in producing Dustin Martin.

The Western suburbs is dominated by Soccer and Rugby League. In fairness to GWS it's always going to be tough to get things going there. The AFL has deployed more resources from its Moore Park offices to try and help.

I see the West Surburbs being a slow burn and will take time. Moving GWS's home base away from Blacktown to Homebush, which is now on the boundary of the Inner West is probably not helping.

Veterans List
    I can see why Melbourne clubs are being vocal. If you look at the list profile of GWS it is truly scary in its quality, the VFL have probably given GWS too much at the start up stage just to ensure they are almost immediately successful.

The problem now is that every year they can trade out surplus players for high draft picks thereby perpetuating the largesse. This year they already have three first rounders and will get another one for Tomlinson and another for McCarthy. So to a list already overflowing with first round, particularly top 10 picks, they will add at least another five!!! All this with no end in sight.

The Riverina should be expunged from their zoning sooner rather than later and run by the VFL themselves to ensure the continued flow of talent into the national pool. GWS like us should have to work in real development areas like the south coast and the area they were formed to conquer the western suburbs!

If the VFL don't act quickly, we will have a multiple premiership side continuing to reap the rich rewards of the Riverina making them an ongoing powerhouse funded by the AFL and supported by only a handful of real fans. I'm with Eddie on this one and it hurts me to say that!

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast