Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: They are at it again. GWS under the pump

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    How many academy picks for GWS from areas other than the Riverina? What's that I hear, none?
    Maybe have a look at Jack Steele's profile ... And don't believe everything you hear ;-)

And I must say that despite my personal dislike for GWS Chairman Shepherd I like the fact that he is giving it, and I mean really giving it, to Gill and Mike Fitz.

Shepherd is a tough as nails seasoned campaigner in business and politics and he will not take an ounce of rubbish from these two clowns. He will give it back in spades and I think there could be an almighty bunfight brewing, he's an attack dog and once he gets the taste for it he will be in boots and all.

It's an approach we can't afford to take really but they have nothing to lose and if he walks away then they will be in deep strife.

Another case of the AFL needing to be careful what they wish for perhaps

Here is another perspective on development.

If the GWS found a player in their acedemy from Penrith who was at the quality of Abe Davis or Hiscox (3rd or 4th rounder), why would they draft that player if they can get three Heeney's from the Riverina.

A boy from the Western Suburbs will therefore never be drafted unless he is a Heeney. A Hiscox or Davis from Penrith would never be drafted to play for his hometown club. There would be too much talent from the Riverina for GWS to worry.

GWS also need credit for their deal making.

- The deal to get rid of Tom Boyd was genius. They snared a first rounder, Ryan Griffin and a significant monetary commitment to pay for Griffin.

- They got rid of four players who were outside their top 20 players for a late 1st rounder to Carlton.

- Their have been other deals that have netted them good draft return.

GWS can now look at the Dylan Shiels, the Tom Scullys and the Jeremy Cameron's and say you can go to a lowly Melbourne club if you like, but you will be replaced by home grown talent at your level who will be part of the next AFL dynasty.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    Here is another perspective on development.

If the GWS found a player in their acedemy from Penrith who was at the quality of Abe Davis or Hiscox (3rd or 4th rounder), why would they draft that player if they can get three Heeney's from the Riverina.

A boy from the Western Suburbs will therefore never be drafted unless he is a Heeney. A Hiscox or Davis from Penrith would never be drafted to play for his hometown club. There would be too much talent from the Riverina for GWS to worry.
    But if we (Kinnear and others) think the kid's worthwhile, WE can take him, can't we?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    But if we (Kinnear and others) think the kid's worthwhile, WE can take him, can't we?
    But not under an academy concession, nor should we be able to.

I think Luke makes an important point. Western Sydney will never get the development priority it needs, GWS will just take the easier, cheaper and softer option of kids from an AFL heartland that are effectively handed to them on a platter. No development, just sign the kid up based on their post code, play them in the TAC Cup and there you are.

And western Sydney does need the development because if we want to genuinely grow the talent pool then this area, with over 10% of our national population and growing every year, needs to contribute.

Canberra and Western Sydney are more than adequate development zones for GWS. Nobody is saying they shouldn't have the ACT but look who they have produced over the years - James Hird (spit), Alex Jesaulenko, Shaun Smith, Josh Bruce, Phil Davis, Craig Bolton, Aaron Hamill and Brett Allison. Imagine what they could produce with sonme investment

Add western Sydney to the mix and the sky is the limit. No my friends there is absolutely no need for GWS to have the Riverina and it isn't good for the game that they do.. Maybe phase it out to give Western Sydney time to come online (max of two draftees for the next three years and one for the three years after) but there needs to be a clear strategy on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    GWS also need credit for their deal making.

- The deal to get rid of Tom Boyd was genius. They snared a first rounder, Ryan Griffin and a significant monetary commitment to pay for Griffin.

- They got rid of four players who were outside their top 20 players for a late 1st rounder to Carlton.

- Their have been other deals that have netted them good draft return.

GWS can now look at the Dylan Shiels, the Tom Scullys and the Jeremy Cameron's and say you can go to a lowly Melbourne club if you like, but you will be replaced by home grown talent at your level who will be part of the next AFL dynasty.
    Yep. They've had time to look at all the kids who they've picked up and work out which ones have the talent, drive and attitude that they want. They target those guys and trade the rest. Lachie Whitfield has just signed on for two more years, by contrast.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

When push come to shove, Gws's proirity is to become financially sustainable . That trumps any long term goals of developing western sydney juniors.

Jacob Hopper 18 possessions to half time in his debut game.

Anyone at GWS want out (McCarthy or Tomlison)? There is the exit gate. We will be delighted to use your points and take away your hopes of being premiership players. You will be replaced by better kids from country NSW who want to stay in NSW.

From Leeton. North of the murrimbidgee

GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer - Page 2

Some interesting comments, not a good word said except by the coach of the Lebanese Ladies team....

Nothing to do with GWS but the Swans wont have access to Abe Davis's younger brother Ben under the Swans Academy due to a technicality in not nominating in last years draft.
    So let's see what happens in this years draft as all clubs will have access to him. In the meantime, I think he is part of the Academy process and being developed as such.