Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: They are at it again. GWS under the pump

Goes up to 11
    GWS should not have even given the Riverina on top of all their draft concessions. Their ability to draft 'Academy' players from Wagga, Temora, Narrandera, Leeton etc is one reason they are being attacked now. When they produce Academy players from Western Sydney it'll be great, and deserving of full support, but their access to Riverina talent (esp those schooled in Melbourne) should rightly be pulled.

Yes Eddie is gunning for them, like he did for us and Brisbane before us, but this current set up is ammunition for him and his noisy cohorts.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Yes Eddie is gunning for them, like he did for us and Brisbane before us, but this current set up is ammunition for him and his noisy cohorts.
    I agree, this is making it easy for Eddie and by extension the whole academy rationale gets damaged.

(Mind you, once the indigenous/multi-cultural academies start producing preferential picks we will have a new debate.)

Re Paul Roos - I think his comments should be read in the context that the discussion was about the inclusion of the Riverina in the GWS academy zone. I think he was only referring to that - not to the northern academies more broadly. And as I've already said, I agree on this point.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The big problem the Vic clubs have with the Riverina is that it's in NSW, and I suspect that now that GWS has been added to the NSW menu, there is a chance more players will choose opportunities in NSW, regardless of whether there is an Academy in place or not. I originally opposed GWS having access to this area, but since last year the NSW clubs have to pay a fair price (and I think on the whole it is fair) for the talent they draft.

No further intervention by the AFL is warranted as GWS privileges are reduced and eliminated. The level playing field will prevail. The real change that is needed is to repair the damage done to Brisbane (even after last weekend!), damage that was largely due to the AFL taking too much notice of Eddie.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    I liked what GWS chairman Tony Shepherd said: "I can't stand this constant changing of rules. We have to apologise every time we win a bloody game."

This is such a true statement. Why isn't there such an uproar with Hawthorn winning 3 premierships in a row after recruiting players from bottom teams??

The nerve of Eddie to say that maybe the GWS salary cap should be limited for a period of time. That made me so mad.

I had to laugh how Dave Matthews said that Graeme Allen should educate Eddie and calm his hysteria.

Veterans List
    I wonder what ROK Lobster is thinking about Paul Roos sticking his bib in. Haven't seen a post from him for some years, but he was a voice in the wilderness back in Roos coaching days, who dared to criticise him.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    GWS should not have even given the Riverina on top of all their draft concessions. Their ability to draft 'Academy' players from Wagga, Temora, Narrandera, Leeton etc is one reason they are being attacked now. When they produce Academy players from Western Sydney it'll be great, and deserving of full support, but their access to Riverina talent (esp those schooled in Melbourne) should rightly be pulled.

I take your point Jono, but when GWS was set up the clubs did agree on the parameters.

Maguire was the leader of the pack of dogs that went after Brisbane after their 3 peat. He is the master of moving the goal posts. Emma Quayle talked about the letter sent to the northern clubs this week putting in place reporting rules for the acadamies. If that is not trying to water them down or making it harder then I don't know what is. They keep going after them and what worries me, and it stinks of a conspiracy, is that it is always Maguire who "leaks" the stories and goes on the front foot. It appears he has been deliberately put in place as the AFL mouth piece on these issues.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I take your point Jono, but when GWS was set up the clubs did agree on the parameters.

Maguire was the leader of the pack of dogs that went after Brisbane after their 3 peat. He is the master of moving the goal posts. Emma Quayle talked about the letter sent to the northern clubs this week putting in place reporting rules for the acadamies. If that is not trying to water them down or making it harder then I don't know what is. They keep going after them and what worries me, and it stinks of a conspiracy, is that it is always Maguire who "leaks" the stories and goes on the front foot. It appears he has been deliberately put in place as the AFL mouth piece on these issues.
    Lets not forget that GWS does not get players thru the Father/Son rule and teams such as bulldogs, cats etc have picked up a few good players, such as Liberatore, Wallis, Hawkins, J Watson etc , therefore I believe they deserve a bit extra, but only for a few years, around 4-5 and then the area is no longer their exclusive zone.IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I liked what GWS chairman Tony Shepherd said: "I can't stand this constant changing of rules. We have to apologise every time we win a bloody game."

This is such a true statement. Why isn't there such an uproar with Hawthorn winning 3 premierships in a row after recruiting players from bottom teams??

The nerve of Eddie to say that maybe the GWS salary cap should be limited for a period of time. That made me so mad.

I had to laugh how Dave Matthews said that Graeme Allen should educate Eddie and calm his hysteria.
    And good on Priddo for his tweets as well.

Eddie's campaign against the northern clubs have been malicious and disingenuous, since he approved all the concessions at the time. It's disgraceful how he arouses all the fans from out of favour Melbourne clubs to attack the academies and such for their own problems.

You make a good point about the Hawthorn premierships. In fact, if you took the last 8 years in isolation, the Swans were the only non Victorian club to win a premiership. So why isn't there an uproar about bringing equalisation to the clubs outside Victoria? The statistics say that they have a very slim chance of winning a premiership. Rotate the GF venue. Put in anti poaching and cry baby rules. Richmond are down in the dumps this year. Make them swap head coaches and list managers with Hawthorn if they want equalisation.

But it's always a relentless attack on the northern clubs. They changed the academy rules after 1 talented prospect who had yet to play an AFL game and was taken from rugby and developed at great care and expense over six years was labeled as a big advantage to clubs with academies.

Eddie McGuire sickens me to death and only an outsider. I can hardly imagine the crap the northern club administrators and coaches have to put upwith because of Eddie's constant bawling. It's an utter disgrace.

I'd appoint Eddie the Resident Chief Commissioner of the Manus Island Detention Centre. Let's move him off shore and see if he can do something useful with his life.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    And good on Priddo for his tweets as well.

Eddie's campaign against the northern clubs have been malicious and disingenuous, since he approved all the concessions at the time. It's disgraceful how he arouses all the fans from out of favour Melbourne clubs to attack the academies and such for their own problems.

You make a good point about the Hawthorn premierships. In fact, if you took the last 8 years in isolation, the Swans were the only non Victorian club to win a premiership. So why isn't there an uproar about bringing equalisation to the clubs outside Victoria? The statistics say that they have a very slim chance of winning a premiership. Rotate the GF venue. Put in anti poaching and cry baby rules. Richmond are down in the dumps this year. Make them swap head coaches and list managers with Hawthorn if they want equalisation.

But it's always a relentless attack on the northern clubs. They changed the academy rules after 1 talented prospect who had yet to play an AFL game and was taken from rugby and developed at great care and expense over six years was labeled as a big advantage to clubs with academies.

Eddie McGuire sickens me to death and only an outsider. I can hardly imagine the crap the northern club administrators and coaches have to put upwith because of Eddie's constant bawling. It's an utter disgrace.

I'd appoint Eddie the Resident Chief Commissioner of the Manus Island Detention Centre. Let's move him off shore and see if he can do something useful with his life.
    Good post, thumbs up from me.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I don't think the Riverina should be in there either. But I'll be furious if this falls further towards another attack on the academy model more broadly - for as we have seen with Mills and Heeney, it is working and doing its job to bring additional talent into the draft pool.
    I listened to Eddie yesterday on his breakfast show. His complaint was the Riverina - not the academies, per se. In fact, he even went as far as to say that the academies were important, but he just thought that GWS hoovering up all the talent from the Riverina when they didnt really develop it was too much. Sorry about introducing something fair about Chins on here...

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I listened to Eddie yesterday on his breakfast show. His complaint was the Riverina - not the academies, per se. In fact, he even went as far as to say that the academies were important, but he just thought that GWS hoovering up all the talent from the Riverina when they didnt really develop it was too much. Sorry about introducing something fair about Chins on here...
    Dosser, I had to chuckle at the outrageous idea that Eddie was not being unreasonable!

But he does love the exaggeration and oversell, e.g. "hoovering up all the talent". What concessions are GWS still getting? And especially to what extent, if any, will they be exempt from the new points system at the next draft? Does anyone know? I don't see how we can have an informed discussion without these vital pieces of information.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

This conversation was always going to take place but has been moved forward because of the win against the Hawks. One of the draft experts recently said that four or five of Gaints academy players from the Riverina are going to be possible first round selections.

If taking away the Riverina from the Gaints is done then Eddie and his band will just move onto the next thing. Which will be for the AFL to take complete control over the academies. Also Gws has Collingwood first round pick for next year which looks like a potential top 10

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast