Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: They are at it again. GWS under the pump

Veterans List
    If GWS have 4 or 5 first round draft picks because they were smart at draft 2015 then what does it matter where they come from. The new academy points system won't allow them to get them all from the Riverina. Again Maguire shoots off at the mouth about something he doesn't have a clue on.

They are at it again. GWS under the pump

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    If taking away the Riverina from the Gaints is done then Eddie and his band will just move onto the next thing. Which will be for the AFL to take complete control over the academies. Also Gws has Collingwood first round pick for next year which looks like a potential top 10
    I agree there is a danger that removal of the Riverina from the GWS zone could be just the first strike against the northern academies. However possibly what will negate that is the fact that now every AFL club has now been given a developmental zone through the establishment of the AFL Next Generation academies.

I am a bit dubious about these (seemed to be an idea thrown together by the AFL to fend off the attacks on the northern academies). But as they are to some extent modelled on the bidding rules etc. of the northern academies, I can't see the northern academies and rules being drastically altered at the same time as these new academies are being established.

What could happen though is that at some time in the future Riverina boys might be able to participate in the GWS academy, but GWS might not have preferential draft access to them. That would be consistent with the rules for the Next Generation academies where kids from any background can take part but only some will come under the preferential bidding rules - such as those from Asian and African backgrounds.

Here are a couple of recent articles on the issue:

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham questions whether Eddie McGuire should be issued 'please explain' by AFL

Here's a quote from Andrew Pridham from one of them:

"It's pretty annoying when Eddie just makes stuff up, and just makes statements, and there's no accountability," Pridham said.

"I don't mind if people want to debate things, that's fine, but don't keep telling lies. I find that unacceptable.

"I was at the meeting when it was put to the club, and it was unanimous to bring them in.

"It's just factually incorrect, so I'm not going to let that fly by ever."
    I think this confirms my earlier suspicions that most of the footy community from the northern states have just simply had enough of Eddie. I can't think of a more despicable person outside of politics. Hopefully the Collingwood fans will see would a rat bag he is and how he is letting down their own club and get rid of him themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Burra View Post
    Just as a side issue wasn't the Riverina once South Melbournes zone?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think it has been raised here before, but the focus of this is the Riverina Being part of the GwS zone. They aren't attacking the academies as a whole ( although I'm sure that's next). I think that's a fair point, it's not a League or Union stronghold, and a lot of these players are boarding at Victorian private schools. The academies are about building the talent pool not pick pocketing talent from areas that already have a strong footy base .
    Absolutely agree. The GWS academy is not adding to the talent pool in the northern states in the same way as the other three academies. As such it is vulnerable to criticism.

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    If McGuire is so worried about the rise of the Giants, why isn't he on his soapbox about Hawthorn's 3 premierships in a row? Oh that's right they're a @@@@ing Victorian team and the AFL is just a dressed up VFL in drag.

I'm generally supportive of Pridham for calling out McGuire. But I don't understand the reference to McGuire suggesting GWS had breached the salary cap. What have I missed?

If this causes Tony Shepherd to quit and get out of football for good, it will have served a useful purpose. The demise of Tony Abbott seems to have expunged him from politics. Let's hope this finishes the job. He's even more dangerous than Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I'm generally supportive of Pridham for calling out McGuire. But I don't understand the reference to McGuire suggesting GWS had breached the salary cap. What have I missed?
    I interpreted this as McGuire was implying that the Giants had taken an unfair advantage, as if they had breached the salary cap, but not that they had in fact breached the salary cap. I think the point was that McGuire had insinuated that the Giants were somehow cheating the system.

Pygmies Insulted by Comparison to Eddie McGuire.
    Plan to Sue Andrew Pridham for Defamation of Character

pygmy-smoke.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Absolutely agree. The GWS academy is not adding to the talent pool in the northern states in the same way as the other three academies. As such it is vulnerable to criticism.
    I agree

And I agree with Eddie re the Riverina but he has no right to criticise their list or their shrewd list management.

The whole idea of the academies is to increase the player pool from development areas. The Riverina is an established AFL nursery so it a recruitment zone for GWS and hence open to criticism. Especially when they get kids at Melbourne Private Schools who don't even play TAC Cup for NSW.

And it's compounded by GWS's complete and utter neglect of Western Sydney development wise as evidenced by their sponsorship of Manly (WTF)

The fastest growing area in Australia (Western Sydney) plus Canberra is more than ample development zone for GWS but I fear what will happen is that our zone, which is a true development zone and one we invest in heavily, will be trimmed and given to GWS who will do f-all there.

Then again GWS will say they don't get F-S and that western Sydney will take time to come online. I'd like to see a phasing out of the Riverina zone, maybe allowing a max of one recruit per year for the next 10 years, and a tightening of eligibility (only players who have played TAC Cup for NSW/ACT should be eligible).

Regardless of what happens the genie is out of the bottle with GWS. They have another strong draft position this year and by next year (if not this year) have a squad that will potentially be in the GF for the next decade. It's going to be fun to watch

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Again Maguire shoots off at the mouth about something he doesn't have a clue on.
    I think you underestimate the fat, bullying, red-faced @@@@@. I think he understands these issues perfectly well. I just don't think he's interested in letting the facts get in the way of his end game. He is happy to whip up a frenzy based on falsehoods if it advances his end game, because he knows everyone in Melbourne is too terrified of him to call him to account.

By the way Eddie, I was just having a joke then when I called you a fat, bullying, red-faced @@@@@. It was all in fun. You're a ripping bloke and a friend of this board. Plus I've learned a lot from your behaviour over the years - for example, I've learned that the most vicious personal abuse is apparently absolutely fine so long as it is followed by a token square up. At that point, the victim of the abuse is apparently a humourless sook if they react. Thanks for the lesson.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

They are at it again. GWS under the pump

I've just read this article which Ludwig posted earlier. (The link comes up with that "no cookies" title so you don't know what it's about).' Very worthwhile read quoting Paul Moore who has donated a lot of money into both the Swans' and Giant's academies. He says Aussie rules had really slipped in the Riverina area cf rugby league and the Giants coverage of this area is important. This would back up Liz's caution somewhat earlier in this thread that the reason that a handful of high talent Riverina boys has emerged from the GWS academy should be looked at, after a lull in draft picks from the area, before jumping to conclusions. Very interesting and perhaps I too have been too quick to make assumptions. (Although I would still like to be convinced that the Giants are putting a big effort into the western suburbs of Sydney.)

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast