Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: They are at it again. GWS under the pump

They don't like any club benefiting from decent players out of their academy - that's the bottom line. The Riverina thing is basically a smokescreen - just the latest excuse for lobbying for more restrictions.

If we get top talents from Grafton and Ballina in successive drafts they'll complain about them living so far from Sydney and they would have been just as good without an academy etc etc etc.

The AFL are absolutely spineless and couldn't provide leadership if they were tortured into doing so - they either believe in the system they have implemented, or they think it is flawed and should be changed. Choose a position and stick to it. Instead they passively say they support academies, yet allow all the chatter and once it has sufficient momentum, they submit to the noise as if they're democratically upholding the just thing to do.

The only aspect I think has merit is placing some restriction on how long a player has to be in your academy, before you can select them and benefit from the 20% discount. Maybe they have to be in your academy for 2+ years - otherwise you can still nominate players from your zone, but don't get the points discount.

That seems to be one of the criticisms of GWS and some of their Riverina kids - that they hadn't heard of some of them until they blossomed late and basically fell into their lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The only aspect I think has merit is placing some restriction on how long a player has to be in your academy, before you can select them and benefit from the 20% discount. Maybe they have to be in your academy for 2+ years - otherwise you can still nominate players from your zone, but don't get the points discount.
    I don't know what the rules are about time spent in the northern academies (or indeed if there are any time-spent rules). But I would expect the AFL will want to line up the northern academy and new generation academy rules as much as possible (which seems reasonable to me).

Under the new generation academy rules, for a club to be eligible to access a prospect at draft age, the player must have fully participated in the club's academy program for a minimum of three years before being drafted.

I would cut GWS and the other 2 academies a bit of slack on the amount of development they've done compared to us. We started our academy after a period of on field success and financial stability. We got a long term commitment from QBE. It was the right program at the right time. These other clubs are all on an AFL financial lifeline and have lots of other concerns to keep them occupied. It's really not the time to cut them down just when they're rolling our the program. The Melbourne supporters of clubs like Footscray and St Kilda who are still waiting after many years to see a premiership don't think it's fair that a start up like GWS is in a position to seriously challenge for a premiership. What McGuire has done is maliciously fanned the flames when he knows full well that it was the intention of the AFL to put GWS and GC in such a position. He was one of the supporters of this strategy. He's trying to make himself into a hometown hero, but he's such a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I don't know what the rules are about time spent in the northern academies (or indeed if there are any time-spent rules). But I would expect the AFL will want to line up the northern academy and new generation academy rules as much as possible (which seems reasonable to me).

Under the new generation academy rules, for a club to be eligible to access a prospect at draft age, the player must have fully participated in the club's academy program for a minimum of three years before being drafted.
    Personally I think there should still be an incentive/reward to bring talented athletes into academies at 16-18 (who may have become disenchanted their previously chosen sport, their physical characteristics changed to either become suited to AFL or alternatively no longer suited to their existing sport, etc etc). Or just simply they have always played footy but are late bloomers and need an intensive 'finishing school' that the academy could be for them to become a good AFL prospect.

But it makes sense that, and harder for he likes of Eddie to argue against, the full benefit (ie. 20% discount) is deserved by clubs who find and develop prospects at an earlier age and not only 'create' players for the AFL system, but also hundreds of other players who bolster junior teams, suburban clubs etc in the developing states along the way.

Otherwise the AFL may as well just pay for boarding scholarships to private schools in VIC, SA and WA for the talented prospects from NSW and QLD - and the northern clubs not bother with the expense and effort of running academies.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I think that is what the new paperwork for academies is all about. When it comes draft time, the AFL will have the paperwork going back over the preceding years to see if first round draft pick Joe Blogs had been in your academy from 14 years of age and exactly what the clubs input into his development has been.

Maybe Jacob Hopper may not have passed this litmus test and that's why the new audit trail has been created.

After Heeney and Mills, the focus is now off us and very firmly on GWS who despite the caution shown by many on here will highly likely become unstoppable going forward. Their list is overloaded with high draft picks and that much talent will succeed and succeed to excess much to the chagrin of the VFL clubs, and of course Eddie :-)

Here's another good article on the subject:
    AFL is a national competition and non-Victorian clubs are not just making up the numbers - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The last few sentences express much of what has been expressed on RWO:

For the record, the Suns have just five Queenslanders on their list and the Lions 13. The Giants have nine New South Wales players and the Swans 14.

There is some incredible short-sighted parochialism at work in the AFL.

When Brisbane won three premierships in the early part of this century, McGuire led the charge to cut back some salary cap concessions for the Lions.

When Sydney grabbed Lance Franklin in a clever piece of free trading, the howls resulted in the cost of living allowance being stripped back for the Swans.

On the other hand, the Hawks have won the past three premierships. They too have used the draft rules to great effect with Brian Lake, James Frawley and Ben McEvoy among those taken from other clubs to ensure their dynasty continued through four grand final appearances.

And yet there is no derision directed at the Hawks.

It is the AFL, not the VFL.

The clubs from outside Victoria are not just there to make up the numbers � good enough to be in the competition but not allowed to actually win it.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    GWS who despite the caution shown by many on here will highly likely become unstoppable going forward. Their list is overloaded with high draft picks and that much talent will succeed and succeed to excess much to the chagrin of the VFL clubs, and of course Eddie :-)
    Whilst I agree, GWS will bank plenty of talent going forward.

Their salary cap, which I think is due to fall inline with the rest of the competition in the next few years ( happy to be corrected on this),

will mean in the medium to long term, keeping all the talent they collect will be next to impossible.

Certainly I think handing GWS the Riverina , essentially as a recruiting zone, is not inline with the aim of developement of non AFL zones.

And IMO is too much advantage and should be pared back.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

If clubs are so incensed with the juggernaut GWS is destined to become, they're welcome to boycott trading with them.

Don't trade picks to improve their own draft position (to prevent GWS gaining extra points to use on academy players).

Don't trade for ex-first round picks wanting to return to VIC (force GWS to delist them for nothing, and then sign them as delisted free agents or via the draft).

Certain misinformation is again being swallowed by the media and absorbed into the background - eg. the assertion that the GWS academy zone was a concession given to them as an expansion club, but now they're established they don't need it.

Goes up to 11
    Of course the AFL is banking that premiership success will magically bring GWS thousands of new fans to ultimately reap some sort of return on their massive investment. So much is riding on that assumption and the sort of allowances given to GWS are designed to make that happen.

The goal of academies is to provide enough local players to northern clubs they do not rely on traditional states. Until it gets there, leave it alone.

AFL won't change GWS Giants' academy zones, says Gillon McLachlan - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Well that fixes that problem for the moment. Shame Pridham had to apologize to Eddie. Hopefully he'll get his facts straight before he goes on twitter next time.

"I now understand Eddie's comment related to Parramatta. Withdraw comment and apologise unreservedly on that point."

McGuire had detailed his disgust on Triple M about the way Pridham "defamed and tried to publicly humiliate" the long-time Magpies figurehead.

Great article from Rebecca Wilson. Really sets things straight on Crazy Eddie.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast