Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grundy Forward

Grundy Forward

I think to beat the Hawks, Longmire needs to mix it up a little and play Grundy forward.

Given Hawthorn have a fast and relatively short back line, there isn't room for both him and Teddy. Grundy has strong hands, started his career as a forward and can kick a goal.

With Tippett playing more in the ruck, Reid injured and Sinclair not effective (as a forward), we could really use a big body down there to take the load off Buddy and make us less predictable.

Thoughts?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Reg is our best defender and needs to stay down back. Ted on the Poos and Wees ruckman is not a got set up. I do like the idea of a defender occasionally switching to a forward, there has been a few examples defenders being very damaging going up front. Leppa used to be a threat forward and Ben Reid. Actually, I can't think of any others right now. Roosy?
    Hopefully Sinclair is over the knock to the knee and can get forward and be dangerous. He has shown glimpses of this threat earlier this year. Really it comes down to delivery and over the last few rounds it looks like the team can only see Buddy in the forward line. Reg could go forward but would the mids kick it to him?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think it's possible as a Plan B like what happened last week but from the start I'll expect Reg to be lining up in his usual spot. Rampe has been our loose when we've gone down that path but since he will have his hands full with Gunston the role could fall to Teddy.

NO.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Grundy has been pretty good all year and back half of last year. He just had a dirty day last week, not helped by some questionable umpiring. Defence-wise I'm more worried about Richards who seems to be out-muscled/manouevred more than he used to be and is clearly not the man you want in a sprint to the ball against young small forwards.

I don't think our forward line is an issue at all.

Need to deny Hawthorn the footy. Deny those easy short passes. Only way to beat them. The rest of it will take care of itself if you do that.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Blog Entries
    Reg went forward late last week and we lost.
    Not blaming him, but he had little impact as a forward.
    Probably should have stayed in his comfort zone.

Senior Player
    Griffiths was just a bit quicker and longer than him. He got frustrated. I didn't really have an issue with the free kicks, they were all there.

Forward is no good for him, failed at the start of his career, failed again this weekend gone. Then off to the bench he went. He's a backman.

I also didn't think we were overly buddy centric last week. He presented well and alot of the times was the remaining man leading up and he was high. He was kicking them from everywhere. You have to honour the work and lead. However i guess it comes down to each players ability to hit the target. Alot of the stuff Rance beat him on was not kicked to his advantage.

I'm not suggesting Grundy goes forward because he is out of form, no good etc. Agree he is out best defender.

Just don't feel there is a suitable match up for him against the Hawks given their lack of tall forwards. The only possibility is the resting ruckman.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Hawks will have O'Brien, resting ruck and Gunston as their 3 talls.

Last time we tried it was the semi Against the dogs a few years ago when Bradshaw retrained from injury. Couldn't kick right and we needed a spark. It didn't work, we lost

Reg is my favourite player would love to see him bagging goals but I think he will play back that's where he's played his best footy #ouredgeisreg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast