Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 8, Swans V Tigers

Round 8, Swans V Tigers

The changes that look almost inevitable ....IN : Richards. OUT : Robinson

But this leaves us with 1 more defender and 1 less half forward.

This could be balanced by moving a defender forward.....McVeigh the likely one.

If Richards doesn't get up then we need another half forward. With some tantalising possibilities.....

Davis, Towers or Rose.....Probably Towers, though I'd prefer either of the other 2.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I know its getting old, but i think this gives us a better balanced team.

Out: mcveigh , robinson
    In : richards, towers

I think mcveigh's finger pointing put young players back in their shell. And hes slow and cant kick beyond 40m

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also add that towers at half forward has given us more than mcveigh at half forward in 2016.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

I think mcveigh's finger pointing put young players back in their shell. And hes slow and cant kick beyond 40m

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also add that towers at half forward has given us more than mcveigh at half forward in 2016.
    McVeigh played a very good game albeit against a lower ranked team. I really don't get the point of suggesting that we bench the co-captain when he isn't injured or in a major form slump as it just isn't going to happen, especially when there are so many young players in the team already. I'd like to see Towers get a run and prove himself one way or the other, but he hasn't shown enough consistency to shove Macca out of the team.

Veterans List
    Why is it that people just don't get that an interrupted pre season pits players back.a long way. McVeigh is going ok.to me.But Reid, round 8 coming up and.no sign. Can't see him having any impact this year.

I'm assuming Richards is not ready.

Outs - Robinson and Jones

Ins - Alire and B.Jack

Richmond play three forwards at 196cm plus (Riewalt, Vickery, Griffths). You need one extra key defender to handle the match up. I think it will be Rampe on Riewalt, Grundy on Vickery and Alire on Griffths.

You have to reward form and B. Jack seems in good touch.

McVeigh is getting better with each outing.
    Jones played an excellent game, he hunts the ball and opposition forwards really well and his tackles stick.
    He also has an attacking intent when he has the ball. IMO, he's coming on beautifully and is a lock.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I, like many others felt that when McVeigh was first selected, he wasn't ready due to an interrupted preparation and needed some game time in the reserves before facing the pressure of top level. Now is not the time for him be omitted, he has that because he has that game time that he required. Moreover, he showed in the second half why he when fit, he is our co-captain and in our best 22.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    I, like many others felt that when McVeigh was first selected, he wasn't ready due to an interrupted preparation and needed some game time in the reserves before facing the pressure of top level. Now is not the time for him be omitted, he has that because he has that game time that he required. Moreover, he showed in the second half why he when fit, he is our co-captain and in our best 22.
    I agree. He shouldn't have been picked for the Crows game as he needed some match fitness under his belt. However since then he has been improving and he looked quite good on Saturday. Although he's slow, he's still one of our better users of the footy.

Of more concern would be the form of McGlynn who has been below average overall this year, other than 2 good quarters. He seems to have lost a couple of yards of pace (even prior to his groin tweak on Saturday). If we're going to play Papley forward, then surely we have a better midfield option than McGlynn. He needs to find some form quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    McVeigh is getting better with each outing.
    Jones played an excellent game, he hunts the ball and opposition forwards really well and his tackles stick.
    He also has an attacking intent when he has the ball. IMO, he's coming on beautifully and is a lock.
    I'd be disappointed if they dropped Jones - he is still a bit stop and start, drifting in and out of games, but he has done some really good stuff over the last two weeks. He was quite good late against the Lions when the pressure was on, and his attacking intent is really good. I like how he is coming on and I think he should stay in the team if possible, even when Richards is back.

As for dropping McVeigh, all I'll say to that is
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

QUOTE"As for dropping McVeigh, all I'll say to that is:"QUOTE McVeigh is no Travis Cloke (THANK GOODNESS) and should not be dropped.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 9th May 2016 at 11:59 AM.

Senior Player
    McVeigh had 28 disposals and took ten marks. Deplorable, must be delisted immediately.

Its not that McVeigh is bad, its just where does he fit in.

I think we should invest in Jones as the rebounding half back. For half forward its two of mcGlynn, Papley and Towers (with possibly Reid included as well.) McVeigh would be 4th choice half forward.

I doubt he's good enough for the midfield. So all though he is co-captain, the cliff for him is very steep and not far away.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast