Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two more years for Aliir Aliir

Opti-pessi-misti
    I'm doing really well this week with 'little' blunders - yes, it occurred to me a few moments ago that it was indeed Dustin Fletcher that I was thinking of!!

Keep it up and you could become a RWO cult hero.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Aliir shines through at right time - sydneyswans.com.au

I was stunned by the pinpoint handball he delivered to Rohan for his first goal. 30 metres? 35? Shades of Polly Farmer!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post

I was stunned by the pinpoint handball he delivered to Rohan for his first goal. 30 metres? 35? Shades of Polly Farmer!
    It was unreal. I've watched it a few times.
    Great vision and execution. Considering he was surrounded by 3 tigers.

His confidence to run off players or play on at the right time is real asset.
    Makes me nervous but usually proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    It was unreal. I've watched it a few times.
    Great vision and execution. Considering he was surrounded by 3 tigers.

His confidence to run off players or play on at the right time is real asset.
    Makes me nervous but usually proves me wrong.
    Since many players get caught out by the speed of the game, when they make the transition from reserves, Aliir's decision making is remarkable. Almost as remarkable as Mills: who hardly even played reserves.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

I was also stunned by that play. How could someone with very little AFL experience and a almost no junior footy background have the awareness and composure to dance around 3 Richmond players and sent a pinpoint handball 30 meters?? Quite remarkable!!

??????

Goal of the Year.

I think the commentator might have even said that but the cheering family was too loud in my lounge-room.

What a way to start a game.

Veterans List

It was brilliant in it's execution and vision....he is a gun defender in the making! AA for AA in 2-3 years!

I keep waiting for him to crumble but except for a few moments against Majak he has been superb. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes against Cameron and Patton, it will be a good test.

Veterans List
    He even as a Wikipedia page! Here it is:
    Aliir Mayom Aliir (born 5 September 1994) is a professional Australian rules footballer in the Australian Football League (AFL).

Early life
    Allir was born in a refugee camp in Kenya to South Sudanese parents. His family fled civil wars in Africa when Aliir was seven years old and settled in Brisbane, Australia. He attended Kedron State High School and was invited by a school friend to play Australian rules football for Aspley in 2009.

Junior football
    Aliir began playing Australian rules football for the first time at 14 years of age[/I] at the Aspley Hornets. A year later he was selected for the World XVIII team to compete at the under-16 national championships. It was during this trip that Aliir discovered his sister, who was living in Perth, had been trying to find him. This led to his mother, brothers and sisters moving to Perth to reunite with other family members while Aliir remained in Brisbane to further his football career.

In April 2012 Aliir was named to make his senior debut for Aspley in the NEAFL against Southport. His good form for Aspley also earned him a spot as the ruckman for the Queensland team in the 2012 AFL Under 18 Championships. Allir was overlooked in the 2012 AFL Draft and made the decision to relocate to Perth to live with his family. He joined the East Fremantle Football Club and spent the 2013 WAFL season playing as a defender. His outstanding 2013 season saw him drafted in the 2013 AFL Draft by the Sydney Swans at pick 44.

AFL career
    Aliir was drafted by the Sydney Swans at pick 44 in the 2013 AFL Draft.

Personal
    Aliir is the cousin of Milwaukee Bucks player Thon Maker. ..............*So he has only been playing for eight tears with virtually no junior footy, with his senior debut after three years of footy experience......amazing! He's a natural!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 1st September 2016 at 07:05 PM.

Whenever watched ressies, training or inter games I had no doubt re AA making it.......just expected more so 2017ish

He has been awesome and his attitude is awesome

There is a buzz amongst these young guys that is infectious

The old boys at the club can feel it also

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast