Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Two more years for Aliir Aliir

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He even as a Wikipedia page! Here it is:
    Aliir Mayom Aliir (born 5 September 1994) is a professional Australian rules footballer in the Australian Football League (AFL).

Early life
    Allir was born in a refugee camp in Kenya to South Sudanese parents. His family fled civil wars in Africa when Aliir was seven years old and settled in Brisbane, Australia. He attended Kedron State High School and was invited by a school friend to play Australian rules football for Aspley in 2009.

Junior football
    Aliir began playing Australian rules football for the first time at 14 years of age[/I] at the Aspley Hornets. A year later he was selected for the World XVIII team to compete at the under-16 national championships. It was during this trip that Aliir discovered his sister, who was living in Perth, had been trying to find him. This led to his mother, brothers and sisters moving to Perth to reunite with other family members while Aliir remained in Brisbane to further his football career.

In April 2012 Aliir was named to make his senior debut for Aspley in the NEAFL against Southport. His good form for Aspley also earned him a spot as the ruckman for the Queensland team in the 2012 AFL Under 18 Championships. Allir was overlooked in the 2012 AFL Draft and made the decision to relocate to Perth to live with his family. He joined the East Fremantle Football Club and spent the 2013 WAFL season playing as a defender. His outstanding 2013 season saw him drafted in the 2013 AFL Draft by the Sydney Swans at pick 44.

AFL career
    Aliir was drafted by the Sydney Swans at pick 44 in the 2013 AFL Draft.

Personal
    Aliir is the cousin of Milwaukee Bucks player Thon Maker. ..............*So he has only been playing for eight tears with virtually no junior footy, with his senior debut after three years of footy experience......amazing! He's a natural!
    Ta, Stevo. Though I'm just a bit disappointed that his middle name isn't Aliir.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Hahaha!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

I had watched him a couple of times in NEAFL, and was mightily impressed with his ability to leap and punch the ball in a contest. I felt he was 'one trick' as he seemed rarely to attempt to mark. That also meant he didn't show any particular disposal skills because he rarely seemed to have the ball to kick or handball.

So, his performances this year have been a revelation because it has been his success with all the things I thought he didn't have that have been the features of his play.

AA will be AA...you read it here first.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

He's got the best hands at the club.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    AA will be AA...you read it here first.
    Indeed we did! (#45) And I'm sure you're right.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Aliir's come a long way in 5 years: Draft Revisited: 2016 - sydneyswans.com.au. Well done, old son. I wanted to add this to the 'Meet Aliir' thread but it only had a single post so have added it here where there are so many more posts.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345