Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Seems to me the successful clubs in Sydney have a consistent common thread, the have grown through the their own efforts, not that of the Swans, GWS or even Sydney AFL. When clubs, and the talk from within the club, is what others should be doing to help them they have missed to point to successful growth - Its up to you.

I agree GWS has made many stupid decisions, particularly sponsoring Manly. But so have most AFL clubs, how much value did the West Coast or the Crows get our their sponsorship with Sydney clubs and were local clubs in Perth and Adelaide bemoaning their lack of commitment to local club growth.
    You seem to miss the point.

I don't think any of the senior clubs in the west expected GWS to support senior football in the area in any tangible way. They would have been happy simply to have an AFL club representing the west of Sydney and hopefully be able to capitalize on the growth in the game there as a result.

But, once the Giants got into bed with the Manly senior club, it changed the landscape considerably. Senior clubs in the west then very rightly asked, "if you are going to support senior football, why do so in the northern beaches and not in your own area?".

And whilst they still still support Manly, that question remains valid and relevant.

News - Manly Warringah Giants - FOX SPORTS PULSE
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 16th May 2016 at 09:25 AM.

I get that they aligned with Auburn. It was a strategic alliance, and got Katie Page involved as well.

I get that they relocated to Homebush. The sharing of BISP with cricket wasn't working.

Once they aligned with Manly, my foundation membership, and about a dozen others at my club, went in the bin. The boys will still go and watch them with free tickets, but they were a shot duck from there. I follow them with some interest, hope they do well, but would prefer to watch my Bombers get pummelled.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    I get that they aligned with Auburn. It was a strategic alliance, and got Katie Page involved as well.
    Even that is questionable, as the Giants seem completely ignorant of the fact that there are other Ladies' sides in the GWS area.

Where's the sense in promoting one side and ignoring the rest? You treat them all evenly to maximise your support, surely?

Who came first though, Auburn or Penrith? Honest question, I wouldn't have a clue.

Warming the Bench
    Who came first though, Auburn or Penrith? Honest question, I wouldn't have a clue.
    It's not a matter of "who came first?" though PK. (For the record it was Auburn).

It's that if you want to maximise your support, you engage with all the clubs in your area, not just one. It's in the Giants' own interests to do so.

Apart from Auburn, there are also ladies' sides at Wollondilly, Moorebank, Campbelltown, Penrith and Blacktown in the GWS area. On the surface at least, they seem to be ignorant of this.

I recall when Auburn played in the womens' preliminary final last year, their Facebook page wished the Auburn side all the best. It didn't occur to them to mention they were playing another side in the GWS area.

Then when Penrith won and made the Grand Final, no mention of it on their Facebook page.

If they want Auburn to have the Giants name, fine, but they should be able to find a way to honour the arrangement without completely ignoring the other clubs. It just gives the perception that they are playing favourites.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I'd be really interested to see if GWS had any dealings trying to help Campbelltown when they nearly went under last year....
    You'd have thought that if the Giants wanted to align with a PD club, they would have done so with the only one in their own area (which Campbelltown was at the time) and not a club on the northern beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    It's not a matter of "who came first?" though PK. (For the record it was Auburn).

It's that if you want to maximise your support, you engage with all the clubs in your area, not just one. It's in the Giants' own interests to do so.

Apart from Auburn, there are also ladies' sides at Wollondilly, Moorebank, Campbelltown, Penrith and Blacktown in the GWS area. On the surface at least, they seem to be ignorant of this.

I recall when Auburn played in the womens' preliminary final last year, their Facebook page wished the Auburn side all the best. It didn't occur to them to mention they were playing another side in the GWS area.

Then when Penrith won and made the Grand Final, no mention of it on their Facebook page.

If they want Auburn to have the Giants name, fine, but they should be able to find a way to honour the arrangement without completely ignoring the other clubs. It just gives the perception that they are playing favourites.
    I actually had a lengthy discussion with Greg C about this on Saturday and completely agree with you and him.

Let's not fool ourselves here.

GWS, (like The Suns) was simply developed as quickly as possible, with one purpose and priority ... winning games, becoming a credible football team, and growing revenue through TV rights contracts - nothing more, and certainly not about code development in those AFL backwaters.

Every resource that the AFL has poured into GWS since the planning stages 10 years ago has been about that.

The AFL's GWS mandate has never had anything to do with "developing the Code in Greater Western Sydney" ... if it had been, they would have been concentrating resources and funds into junior development via the Academy System IN WESTERN SYDNEY 10 years ago, and we would have a wave of young players from Penrith, Camden, Blacktown, etc., starring for the RAMS and being rookie listed right now. Instead their priorities were personally to ensure that they had a paying position in the changing landscape going forward, and secondly to covertly scheme to claim all of the traditional NSW/ACT AFL nursery's as GWS Zones (even Bankstown!?), so they wouldn't need to do any work "locally" to develop anyone ... if it happens that they actually list a kid from, Greater Western Sydney any time soon, it will merely be serendipitous.

Their president's disinterest in the outcomes for the Bankstown juniors was breath taking - they cost themselves a generation of support in that area, and didn't bat an eyelid.

No, GWS has nothing to do with developing AFL in the Greater Western Sydney region, THAT is the job of the AFL ... or is it? ... read from the top ^

Regular in the Side
    This question is pertinent.
    There has been a Women's SydneyAFL competition for donkeys ages.
    But it was only on the back of this auburn Multicultural team that made everyone both within and outside AFL sit up and have a look.
    Women's participation in AFL has sky-rocketed in recent years.
    The BDAFL had no women's comp 2 years ago and now has 10 teams.
    IMO those Auburn girls have done more for women's AFL than anyone else in the whole of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    This question is pertinent.
    There has been a Women's SydneyAFL competition for donkeys ages.
    But it was only on the back of this auburn Multicultural team that made everyone both within and outside AFL sit up and have a look.
    Women's participation in AFL has sky-rocketed in recent years.
    The BDAFL had no women's comp 2 years ago and now has 10 teams.
    IMO those Auburn girls have done more for women's AFL than anyone else in the whole of Australia.
    I'll be passing your comment on to the ladies, and I expect they will be very thankful!

As a previous post has said, Auburn women's side was established before Penrith's. Bringing Wollondilly, Campbelltown and Blacktown into the discussion couldn't possibly be any more anachronistic in terms of women's football.

The notion that GWS only pumps up Auburn women's football is totally wrong. Let's also not forget, Manly women's are also 'Giants', so it's not limited to Auburn women, and they had multiple social media/website stuff last year. On a separate note, GWS pumped up last year, and the year before, that South London Giants made the UKAFL GF. My understanding is GWS social media simply promotes the teams that have taken on the Giants name - regardless of their location.

I'm interested in what clubs actually want GWS to do for them? Should we have Penrith Giants, Wollondilly Giants, Campbelltown Giants, etc? Should they be pumping up teams that have different/opposing mascots? I note that Penrith Youth Girls got a bit of press when they were established and the junior club shifted from Swans to Giants mascots.

I really don't see GWS' non-mention of the Ramettes making the Div 2 GF last year as noteworthy. This isn't due to any Auburn bias I have, I genuinely think it's a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CKunde View Post
    I'll be passing your comment on to the ladies, and I expect they will be very thankful!

As a previous post has said, Auburn women's side was established before Penrith's. Bringing Wollondilly, Campbelltown and Blacktown into the discussion couldn't possibly be any more anachronistic in terms of women's football.

The notion that GWS only pumps up Auburn women's football is totally wrong. Let's also not forget, Manly women's are also 'Giants', so it's not limited to Auburn women, and they had multiple social media/website stuff last year. On a separate note, GWS pumped up last year, and the year before, that South London Giants made the UKAFL GF. My understanding is GWS social media simply promotes the teams that have taken on the Giants name - regardless of their location.

I'm interested in what clubs actually want GWS to do for them? Should we have Penrith Giants, Wollondilly Giants, Campbelltown Giants, etc? Should they be pumping up teams that have different/opposing mascots? I note that Penrith Youth Girls got a bit of press when they were established and the junior club shifted from Swans to Giants mascots.

I really don't see GWS' non-mention of the Ramettes making the Div 2 GF last year as noteworthy. This isn't due to any Auburn bias I have, I genuinely think it's a non-issue.
    There are interests in the game outside your little Auburn bubble you know.

Quite simply they should be supporting teams in the GWS area and not Manly, what a ridiculous choice. And if they are pumping anything more than a pack of crisps into a team in London that is equally crazy.

And they should be investing in their Western Sydney academy and investing in local junior and senior teams, all teams not just teams like yours that have an angle, with resources. Not necessarily money though that would help at the pointy end. That money that went to Manly should have been multiplied by 2 and gone to Campbelltown.

Their treatment of Bankstown Juniors says it all really.

Thanks guys for all your responses, it is clear to all of us that GWS really do bugger all for Sydney football
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 16th May 2016 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    There are interests in the game outside your little Auburn bubble you know.
    Not sure what point of mine would lead you to think that I believe otherwise.

'Resources' - What resources? To my knowledge, effectively all Western Sydney clubs get the same resources from GWS. Sporadic visits by players/coaches, free tickets to games, Auskick on field opportunities. If any club gets more than this, they get more than us.

Clubs with the Giants mascot get a bit of social media support, and potential opportunities to play at the Main Arena.

I think many people would agree with your thoughts on the Academy (e.g., Paul Moore).

I also agree that Manly getting support is pretty silly. The way it was rationalised to me when I asked the question in 2014 was that they were the first team to ask to become Giants, so GWS went with it. (I know nothing about the Manly partnership beyond this).

However, that still doesn't answer the question: What do you want GWS to do?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast