Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 124

Thread: GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer

  1. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    What we have here is in fact people pointing out where they believe GWS has failed, or could be doing far better, as a western Sydney AFL club.


    Clearly you can't understand because you haven't made much of an effort to do so. But, as far as your facts go:


    1. I am sure most people here enjoy having a 2nd Sydney side. I certainly do. But gratitude isn't the issue here.
    2. We know that. But that doesn't make the Giants exempt from valid criticism.
    3. I think people know that the AFL holds the overall responsibility for game development in Sydney/NSW.
    4. Again, we know that. People aren't arguing that the Giants are responsible for the growth of senior clubs in the west though.

    Did you even read the posts here? What people have been saying has little relevance to your four points above. You seem to have gone off on a tangent.


    * Disagreeing with your opinion doesn't make someone a moron
    * Clearly the Bankstown juniors situation hurt, upset and/or alienated a lot of people. That's a pretty ignorant comment on your part then.
    * Girls footy is going well and growing nicely. It's great to see.
    Well said

  2. #50
    I think the reason people are complaining about GWS is because it was sold to the AFL community that the second team was aimed at securing the Western Suburbs of Sydney. There was this grandiose plan to dig in, weather the storm and grow a club that the Western Suburbs would be proud of.

    Instead we have a club that plays at Spotless Stadium, which to any Sydneysider is not really West, sponsors a team in Manly, helped in the demise of a junior club and allowed the Wanderers to capture the hearts of the West.

    Unfortunately the AFL doesn't understand Sydney, they never have and the GWS experiment is proof of that. The Wanderers are a prime example of how to implant a club. They based themselves in the West, they engaged the community and grew the club from that. Yes, they had early success, but having been at the ground as a photographer and being up close to their supporters, they will be there win or lose.

  3. #51
    I fully agree that senior clubs have to build their own base and not expect to be propped up or assisted to do this by an AFL club.

    My only gripe is when they communicate with the clubs with their offers of help and don't fulfill them if called upon.

  4. #52
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterboi1973 View Post
    I think the reason people are complaining about GWS is because it was sold to the AFL community that the second team was aimed at securing the Western Suburbs of Sydney. There was this grandiose plan to dig in, weather the storm and grow a club that the Western Suburbs would be proud of.
    Bingo.

    Quote Originally Posted by skaterboi1973 View Post
    Instead we have a club that plays at Spotless Stadium, which to any Sydneysider is not really West, sponsors a team in Manly, helped in the demise of a junior club and allowed the Wanderers to capture the hearts of the West.
    Add playing games in Canberra, not engaging with stakeholders in the west (ie senior clubs), not holding major club functions in the GWS area (eg the recent Ladies' Lunch, held in the CBD)........

    Quote Originally Posted by skaterboi1973 View Post
    Unfortunately the AFL doesn't understand Sydney, they never have and the GWS experiment is proof of that. The Wanderers are a prime example of how to implant a club. They based themselves in the West, they engaged the community and grew the club from that. Yes, they had early success, but having been at the ground as a photographer and being up close to their supporters, they will be there win or lose.
    The Wanderers had the advantage of soccer being a more entrenched sport in the west. And they tapped into that very well. The AFL and GWS did not have that degree of support in the area to work with.

    Nevertheless, they sold us a vision about GWS being a "western Sydney" club (as in your first paragraph above). But they have then been so desperate for success and validation that they have been prepared to divert from that vision, markedly at times.

    The "vision" has been shown to be misleading (at best). The AFL simply isn't prepared to do the work, and take the time, to make GWS a true western Sydney club. Which is a real pity.

  5. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    Bingo.


    Add playing games in Canberra, not engaging with stakeholders in the west (ie senior clubs), not holding major club functions in the GWS area (eg the recent Ladies' Lunch, held in the CBD)........


    The Wanderers had the advantage of soccer being a more entrenched sport in the west. And they tapped into that very well. The AFL and GWS did not have that degree of support in the area to work with.

    Nevertheless, they sold us a vision about GWS being a "western Sydney" club (as in your first paragraph above). But they have then been so desperate for success and validation that they have been prepared to divert from that vision, markedly at times.

    The "vision" has been shown to be misleading (at best). The AFL simply isn't prepared to do the work, and take the time, to make GWS a true western Sydney club. Which is a real pity.
    Yep, MOP and skaterboi's comments summarise the issue. One has to wonder how GWS intends to ever become self sustaining if it doesn't build a local foundation from the ground up. In my view they need to get a wriggle on.

  6. #54
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    259
    Here's the vision that was sold to us. (I finally found it on my computer!).

    I don't see the GWS Giants being about anything else but Greater Western Sydney in this document.

    Team GWS Brochure

  7. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    What we have here is in fact people pointing out where they believe GWS has failed, or could be doing far better, as a western Sydney AFL club.


    Clearly you can't understand because you haven't made much of an effort to do so. But, as far as your facts go:


    1. I am sure most people here enjoy having a 2nd Sydney side. I certainly do. But gratitude isn't the issue here.
    2. We know that. But that doesn't make the Giants exempt from valid criticism.
    3. I think people know that the AFL holds the overall responsibility for game development in Sydney/NSW.
    4. Again, we know that. People aren't arguing that the Giants are responsible for the growth of senior clubs in the west though.

    Did you even read the posts here? What people have been saying has little relevance to your four points above. You seem to have gone off on a tangent.


    * Disagreeing with your opinion doesn't make someone a moron
    * Clearly the Bankstown juniors situation hurt, upset and/or alienated a lot of people. That's a pretty ignorant comment on your part then.
    * Girls footy is going well and growing nicely. It's great to see.
    I think i need to say the words that the Fonz, could not say. I was Wrong; particularly around GWS's commitment to Western Sydney and the insensitive statement around Bankstown. Wrong and Sorry.

    FYI GWS partnering with Netball NSW for a new team in the National competition next year.

    Netball Australia confirms new eight-team division and bumper broadcasting deal - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

  8. #56
    Could not agree more with the posts on this page (still not sure why mr Wills/Shepherd's view on the subject is so blinkered and obscure?)

    That Brochure is a wonderful piece of fantasy, propaganda and misdirection at the very least ... which was what they gave you when you spoke face to face to them anyway.

    I recall at the time, the very first thing they did when their first draft of players arrived in town, was to house them all in million dollar waterfront apartments in Breakfast Point, about 30ks from their "spiritual home" at BIS Park - living the "rowing club" lifestyle, so close to the latte and restaurant strip of Balmain/Liechhardt would immediately give any young 19 yo from the bush an insight and appreciation for "western" Sydney culture.

    In saying all of that, the anecdotal evidence is that they are being more proactive in the schools and junior clubs, and that is to be encouraged. Now that they are having success on the field, it is the opportune time to ramp up their efforts in the west, and for goodness sake, get some smart people on board who have fresh ideas.

    I agree that they are less responsible for senior club development, but how about playing a few senior games that feature Western Sydney clubs (not just Blacktown Magic or Auburn, and NOT MANLY!) as curtain raisers for home games, or their NEAFL games? I remember the Swans used to do that at one time, feature the SAFL match of the round as a curtain raiser.

    Here's a thought, rather than randomly assisting the odd club that changes it's name to Giants (terrible name anyway) with new kits, wouldn't it make more sense to place their logo on EVERY jumper at every club at every level that is within their catchment area? They are all required to have the AFL logo, it would not cost a cent, and at least drive some sort of attachment and loyalty. Swans could do the same.

    They just need to remember they are not in Victoria, so don't just do what they do ... maybe a study of what the Wanderers have done would be worthwhile, and just plagiarise that!

  9. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    I think i need to say the words that the Fonz, could not say. I was Wrong; particularly around GWS's commitment to Western Sydney and the insensitive statement around Bankstown. Wrong and Sorry.

    FYI GWS partnering with Netball NSW for a new team in the National competition next year.

    Netball Australia confirms new eight-team division and bumper broadcasting deal - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Apology accepted over here - it may be time to move on, although it would be good to hear an acknowledgement from the perpetrators, although it was satisfying when Dale Nobody was moved on ...

    Great initiative with Netball - a massive support base if they can infiltrate there.

    Something that the Swans established in some form with the Swifts a few years ago, but not being into the Netball, I'm unsure how effective it has been?

  10. #58
    Interesting that Melbourne Storm franchise will base their Netball team on the Gold Coast ... i just hope GWS don't base theirs at Harbord!!!

  11. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Could not agree more with the posts on this page (still not sure why mr Wills/Shepherd's view on the subject is so blinkered and obscure?)

    That Brochure is a wonderful piece of fantasy, propaganda and misdirection at the very least ... which was what they gave you when you spoke face to face to them anyway.

    I recall at the time, the very first thing they did when their first draft of players arrived in town, was to house them all in million dollar waterfront apartments in Breakfast Point, about 30ks from their "spiritual home" at BIS Park - living the "rowing club" lifestyle, so close to the latte and restaurant strip of Balmain/Liechhardt would immediately give any young 19 yo from the bush an insight and appreciation for "western" Sydney culture.

    In saying all of that, the anecdotal evidence is that they are being more proactive in the schools and junior clubs, and that is to be encouraged. Now that they are having success on the field, it is the opportune time to ramp up their efforts in the west, and for goodness sake, get some smart people on board who have fresh ideas.

    I agree that they are less responsible for senior club development, but how about playing a few senior games that feature Western Sydney clubs (not just Blacktown Magic or Auburn, and NOT MANLY!) as curtain raisers for home games, or their NEAFL games? I remember the Swans used to do that at one time, feature the SAFL match of the round as a curtain raiser.

    Here's a thought, rather than randomly assisting the odd club that changes it's name to Giants (terrible name anyway) with new kits, wouldn't it make more sense to place their logo on EVERY jumper at every club at every level that is within their catchment area? They are all required to have the AFL logo, it would not cost a cent, and at least drive some sort of attachment and loyalty. Swans could do the same.

    They just need to remember they are not in Victoria, so don't just do what they do ... maybe a study of what the Wanderers have done would be worthwhile, and just plagiarise that!
    All great ideas. I think it illustrates the point brilliantly, smart brand/fan strategy but with a local context attached. Their window to really "launch" will not be open forever.

  12. #60
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shire
    Posts
    129
    They must be doing something right out there as my Brother in Law and his family who have never been into any sports other than fishing will attend there third GWS home game this weekend, Have signed up to Play Football with the Campbelltown Swans (I think) and have decked themselves out in Orange and Charcoal......
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO