Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer

Tend to disagree about getting the to the SCG.. and I have done it over the years from 1982. In the early days, my parents use to drive to the ground and park nearby, there are loads of parking if your willing to walk a little bit (better than sitting in the car park).

I have also done the train, and walked up from central, fair few do that and stop off for a beer on the way, quite social. Afterwards you have the luxury of the entertainment quarter for a drink and food or the city.

As for Spotless Stadium, have yet to do that, but when the Swans use to play out at Sydney Olympic park it just didn't have the same atmosphere and less options afterwards.

However, these days don't get to see any matches, volunteering for a local AFL team takes up too much time and I'm lucky enough that my wife (who had no knowledge of the game before me) gives up her time to work in the canteen.

Quote Originally Posted by skaterboi1973 View Post
    Tend to disagree about getting the to the SCG.. and I have done it over the years from 1982. In the early days, my parents use to drive to the ground and park nearby, there are loads of parking if your willing to walk a little bit (better than sitting in the car park).

I have also done the train, and walked up from central, fair few do that and stop off for a beer on the way, quite social. Afterwards you have the luxury of the entertainment quarter for a drink and food or the city.

As for Spotless Stadium, have yet to do that, but when the Swans use to play out at Sydney Olympic park it just didn't have the same atmosphere and less options afterwards.

However, these days don't get to see any matches, volunteering for a local AFL team takes up too much time and I'm lucky enough that my wife (who had no knowledge of the game before me) gives up her time to work in the canteen.
    I totally agree with your post. You are like me and walk to the SCG or are prepared to get there early but the person who complains about getting to Homebush isn't going to like the former two options. As for ANZ stadium totally agree. Originally people were excited about playing at a large capacity stadium then the reality sunk in that it has many flaws. but again we're talking about Spotless and by all acounts (bar one) it's a great little boutique stadium. As for lack of after-game options, that is true for Homebush but getting out of the SCG by bus is a nightmare.

If you are otherwise occupied, good for you, but the person who complains about getting to Homebush isn't like to have the energy to involve themselves in grassroots football, just enough energy to whinge.
    give it to the game

Quote Originally Posted by cos789 View Post
    I totally agree with your post. You are like me and walk to the SCG or are prepared to get there early but the person who complains about getting to Homebush isn't going to like the former two options. As for ANZ stadium totally agree. Originally people were excited about playing at a large capacity stadium then the reality sunk in that it has many flaws. but again we're talking about Spotless and by all acounts (bar one) it's a great little boutique stadium. As for lack of after-game options, that is true for Homebush but getting out of the SCG by bus is a nightmare.

If you are otherwise occupied, good for you, but the person who complains about getting to Homebush isn't like to have the energy to involve themselves in grassroots football, just enough energy to whinge.
    No one is whinging cos789 ...Just simply trying to explain what influences crowds that are particularly low for an AFL club that is based in an area that hasn't traditionally supported the game. Homebush is a major sporting hub, it shouldn't be difficult to get to. Its a hurdle the Giants face.

Comments made from ppl who were involved in the public transport relay that I was involved in were that they felt like rats in some kind of experiment when we were met with barriers and traffic cones on the return relay at lidcome. People were over it. Im glad you enjoy your train trips but the thought of adding another 6 trains to the week to get to a footy match isn't something I find enjoyable.

I think its safe to say that most people who provide comments on this site are well and truely involved in grassroots footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamstrings77 View Post
    Im glad you enjoy your train trips but the thought of adding another 6 trains to the week to get to a footy match isn't something I find enjoyable.
    I can see that someone who is "forced" to take trains to work daily doesn't find additional train trips appealing.
    But let's get real here, it's a train trip there and a train trip back with connections.
    You might enjoy the opportunity to drive to the SCG for a change. I cannot think of anything less appealing than driving in a city.

All I'm saying is a person might take the occassional trip out Spotless to witness some good football.
    I'm assuming you good folk are able to make the trip to the SCG fortnighly, so the odd extra trip isn't anything big is it.
    And really, football fans are faced with the same problems everywhere. In Perth it's a lousy bus service and THEN two trains to Subiaco.
    At Subiaco, you realise that ANZ is a damn good stadium in comparison. And service at Subiaco - forget it, there is none.

Don't go, but don't whinge - you sound like a rl apologist.
    give it to the game

Quote Originally Posted by cos789 View Post
    I can see that someone who is "forced" to take trains to work daily doesn't find additional train trips appealing.
    But let's get real here, it's a train trip there and a train trip back with connections.
    You might enjoy the opportunity to drive to the SCG for a change. I cannot think of anything less appealing than driving in a city.

All I'm saying is a person might take the occassional trip out Spotless to witness some good football.
    I'm assuming you good folk are able to make the trip to the SCG fortnighly, so the odd extra trip isn't anything big is it.
    And really, football fans are faced with the same problems everywhere. In Perth it's a lousy bus service and THEN two trains to Subiaco.
    At Subiaco, you realise that ANZ is a damn good stadium in comparison. And service at Subiaco - forget it, there is none.

Don't go, but don't whinge - you sound like a rl apologist.
    you work for either ANZ stadium or state rail ...

im not sure what an rl apologist is but i can guess from the tone of your email it probably isn't a good thing.

GWS are really doing a great job in the west they have taken all the best 16.17 y olds (10-15)from the academy and are making them with Kellyville. They have enough players now for 2 full teams and both are called east coast eagles? Thought it would have been a good opportunity to be called Giants? Great initiative pitty about all the other junior clubs in the West.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterboi1973 View Post

Spotless doesn't have the same options, the only pub near the station is the Brewery. But the members bar at Spotless is good - if I wasn't doing what I do on game day, I'd probably watch games from there quite often.
    Kick to kick on the ground after the game, and the post-matches they're running at Tom Wills works well on the entertainment experience side - but without that, there's not a lot out at Olympic Park.
    I've always found Spotless a lot easier to get to than the SCG. But then again, I don't have to change at Central, only at Lidcombe. And my dodgy ankle doesn't enjoy the walk up Foveaux St or traversing the Spiral Bridge to Nowhere as much these days.

And it's a lot to do both. One of my pet peeves is the AFL keeps scheduling Giants & Swans home games for Saturday afternoon - undermines the grassroots comp up here no end. But that's a whole other story.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Never had an issue catching the Events Bus to and from Homebush for a Swans game - brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamstrings77 View Post
    you work for either ANZ stadium or state rail ...
    No. Just don't whingers.
    give it to the game

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    One of my pet peeves is the AFL keeps scheduling Giants & Swans home games for Saturday afternoon - undermines the grassroots comp up here no end. But that's a whole other story.
    Spot on Mick. Although Sundays are now junior footy days. I'm sure they could work it out though, and potentially double the GWS crowds.

Warming the Bench
    GWS Junior Club Night at Blacktown seemed to be a roaring success the other night (I didn't attend but I'm also not involved with a Western Suburbs club).
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    GWS are really doing a great job in the west they have taken all the best 16.17 y olds (10-15)from the academy and are making them with Kellyville. They have enough players now for 2 full teams and both are called east coast eagles? Thought it would have been a good opportunity to be called Giants? Great initiative pitty about all the other junior clubs in the West.
    Ah, pretty certain the Giants aren't advising any kids to come and play at Kellyville. In fact, if someone asked me I would have thought it was the opposite based on case history.

Just as an FYI for you Saviour, the two Eagles junior teams are a result of joint ventures between Kellyville & Baulkham Hills. They combined to strengthen their lists to make sure they could get full teams. The decision to do so helped keep kids at both clubs rather than the kids be lost to the sport. The presidents decided on naming them the Eagles to reflect both of their involvement with ECE. And on the back of that decision it just so happens that an ECE prems player coaches one of the sides.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast