Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Spot on Mick. Although Sundays are now junior footy days. I'm sure they could work it out though, and potentially double the GWS crowds.
    Can we say who is attending ? Is it WS people ?
    When the Fremantle Dockers came along they attracted a completely different type of crowd to the WCE
    yet they both play at exactly the same stadium.
    give it to the game

Can we close off this thread..... I am sick of reading about GWS. It started saying they did nothing and now seems to have moved on to they do lots. Either way there must be something more interesting for us to argue about.

I hope GWS do well. It's good for the Swans, good for Sydney, good for football and good for AFL.
    But most of all I hope GWS do well because it will P.O. a lot of people.
    give it to the game

I went to Spotless last weekend and it was a surreal experience.

It's a pretty standard formula now, 3,000 - 4,000 GWS "fans", 2,000 - 3,000 away fans and a the balance being happy clappers.

A totally artificial and contrived match day experience, they'll be stuck at this level for 20 years +, heaven help us all if they go to the big show this year and win it in front of 1,000 "fans" who barely understand the rules....

AN embarrassment to the game

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cos789 View Post
    I hope GWS do well. It's good for the Swans, good for Sydney, good for football and good for AFL.
    But most of all I hope GWS do well because it will P.O. a lot of people.
    And I pay that post big time LOL

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I went to Spotless last weekend and it was a surreal experience.

It's a pretty standard formula now, 3,000 - 4,000 GWS "fans", 2,000 - 3,000 away fans and a the balance being happy clappers.

A totally artificial and contrived match day experience, they'll be stuck at this level for 20 years +, heaven help us all if they go to the big show this year and win it in front of 1,000 "fans" who barely understand the rules....

AN embarrassment to the game
    I understand that this is a swans forum, so there's always going to be one eyed swans views, but Mug, your lack of appreciation for the swans history is the embarrassment here.

Anyone who has been on the swans wagon for the long haul would know how hard it is to establish a presence in the Sydney market. As another poster has already pointed out, the swans average crowds in the early 90s were lower than what the Giants are currently pulling. I remember going to a swans-saints game in the 90s with 3 mates (all of us in rugby league jerseys) and playing kick to kick across 3 empty bays.

But look at the swans now - it took a long time but now a huge following and plenty of on field success to show for their persistence. In time, GWS will grow and prosper like the swans have, and it can be nothing but good for footy in NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy#8 View Post
    I understand that this is a swans forum, so there's always going to be one eyed swans views, but Mug, your lack of appreciation for the swans history is the embarrassment here.

Anyone who has been on the swans wagon for the long haul would know how hard it is to establish a presence in the Sydney market. As another poster has already pointed out, the swans average crowds in the early 90s were lower than what the Giants are currently pulling. I remember going to a swans-saints game in the 90s with 3 mates (all of us in rugby league jerseys) and playing kick to kick across 3 empty bays.

But look at the swans now - it took a long time but now a huge following and plenty of on field success to show for their persistence. In time, GWS will grow and prosper like the swans have, and it can be nothing but good for footy in NSW.
    Good call on all points...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I could be mistaken, but i thought we had been playing AFL in Sydney for 35 years now, that GWS were shooting for a record of consecutive wins, had their list artificially pumped up with superstars, are sitting a spot off the top of the ladder, and being touted as Grand Final contenders ... and they get 6,000 people at a game? ... what position were the Swans floundering in when they were struggling to get crowds in the mid 90's??? Apples and "Oranges".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Can we close off this thread..... I am sick of reading about GWS. It started saying they did nothing and now seems to have moved on to they do lots. Either way there must be something more interesting for us to argue about.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    had their list artificially pumped up with superstars,
    So basically you're criticising the AFL for learning from their mistakes.
    The AFL gave the GWS a list with the idea of GWS trading it's way to become a competitive team.
    Clubs didn't trade so understandably it has taken GWS this long to be competitve.
    Criticism should be directed at those clubs that didn't foresee this event.

I am dissappointed but not jealous that the Swans were not supported as well as the new expansion teams.
    Having two AFL teams in a city is good for the regular weekly focus on football.
    It's mutually beneficial in building derbies as well as support for the game in general.
    give it to the game

No criticism, just a statement of fact - the Swans did not have that benefit at the time of their struggle, so any comparison is spurious.

As for the benefit of a second team, no question it is a good thing, but it would be unhealthy and ingenuous for any self respecting Swans fan to give the GWS Jaffa's any kind of a leg up ...

No criticism, just a statement of fact - the Swans did not have that benefit at the time of their struggle, so any comparison is spurious.
    And I'm saying that's a dissapointing fact on the part of the AFL )that we didn't get more support).

As for the benefit of a second team, no question it is a good thing, but it would be unhealthy and ingenuous for any self respecting Swans fan to give the GWS Jaffa's any kind of a leg up ...
    Attending the odd game is hardly a leg-up but if it concerns you I'd suggest attending a local game.
    It's amazing how many people forget that there's plenty of attractive football outside of the AFL.
    give it to the game

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy#8 View Post

No peanut, you are the one showing your ignorance. I was at the first game at the SCG in 1982 v Melbourne and haven't missed too many game since so don't you dare lecture me.

The Swans took a while to develop but we had nothing like the benefits GWS are getting and to suggest our early crowds were anything like their crowds are is just ignorant, I was there and they weren't. Within four years of the Swans being in Sydney, with a little Edelsten cash that was nothing compared to what GWS have got, we were getting 30,000 - 40,000 crowds regularly (look it up if you don't believe me). GWS will never get that.

And yet again a clown trots out the crowd card from the early 90s. Even at our lowest, and we did have a few 5,000 - 6,000 crowds against poor drawing teams, and don't forget we were terribly bad on the field with Buckenara as coach, our average crowds never fell below 9,000. Yes they were dark days but they were a blip.

We have been in Sydney for over 30 years and I think it is fair to say that since 1996 under Eade and the GF (remember that one?) we have been a very established club. The only thing that really held us back was lack of AFL support in developing the Sydney market.

I am ambivalent about GWS and if they are good for footy in Sydney. I assume you have never played the game but have a read of some of the posts on here and those in clubland will let you know in no uncertain terms that they add very little to their club, unless of course you are Manly (100% the dumbest decision ever). They spend very little on development but game the academy system to get players they do stuff all to develop.

They are a TV Team for a TV deal and my personal view is that the Melbourne mafia will not tolerate a club that takes 2,000 people to a GF winning five flags straight whilst draining $20m out of AFL coffers to cover their losses, they just won't cop it. And really nobody from Sydney will care because we have had our team for over 30 years and they are called the Swans and any real AFL fans are already on our bandwagon. GWS will end up in Canberra full time within 10 years and that is where they should have been from Day 1

- - - Updated - - -

A totally spurious comparison

Pushing for Selection
    Your a funny old fella Mug, very emotional, but funny. My post was not so much a lecture, but made the pretty simple point that the market in Sydney is tough to crack and takes time, which you actually agreed with somewhere in there. But since you put in the effort, it would be rude of me not to reply to the rest.

Within four years of the Swans being in Sydney, with a little Edelsten cash that was nothing compared to what GWS have got, we were getting 30,000 - 40,000 crowds regularly (look it up if you don't believe me). GWS will never get that.
    Interesting looking up the swans average home crowds in the early years (82: 16k, 83: 12k, 84: 12k, 85: 10k, 86: 26k, 87: 22k, 88: 12k, 89: 12k, 90: 9k, 91: 11k, 92: 10k, 93: 9k, 94: 10k). Those regular 30,000 - 40,000 crowds that you remember didn't come until after the run to the GF in 96. I won't hold that against you though - memories can get a bit hazy over 30 years.

But anyway, I'm not really interested in playing off crowd figures between clubs - my point was simply that Sydney is a tough market to crack and takes time, which you more or less agreed with:

The only thing that really held us back was lack of AFL support in developing the Sydney market.
    so I'm happy to leave that discussion there.

I assume you have never played the game
    You have made this assumption based on absolutely zero, which comes as no surprise really after spending years of reading your baseless comments about Sydney Uni, Wests, Campbelltown, ECE, and so forth. But for the record, I did play over a decade of senior footy in Sydney (if its really that important to you, some of the longer term posters on here like Tara know me and can vouch) and have spent the last few years coaching junior club footy and the occasional school program. So, I have seen first hand how grassroots footy in Sydney has gone from practically no engagement from the AFL and its clubs, to having quite a lot in the junior system over the past few years.

My club is in a Swans zone and I am fully aware of the outstanding work that the Swans do in the local clubs
    A question for you - Can you please tell us what the swans do for the senior clubs in the swans zones. This board has had lots of discussion about why gws entered a partnership with Manly, and that baffles me as much as everyone else, but coming from the other angle, what were (or weren't) the swans doing with the best senior club in their area if Manly had to turn to GWS for assistance ? I'm genuinely hoping you attempt to answer this one instead of your usual treatment of inconvenient questions (like ignoring or resorting name calling).

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast