Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer

Hi Guys.

Been a while since I've been on here, hope you haven't been missing me too much.

I'm on a rant on the other page and I need some feedback from Club Land.

For the likes of Pekay, tara and others from senior clubs in the GWS zone,

(1) What effort has GWS done to engage with your club and your community?

(2) What tangible benefits have they brought to your club?

(3) What academy programmes are being offered to junior clubs in your area?

Many Thanks

Mug Punter

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Hi Guys.

Been a while since I've been on here, hope you haven't been missing me too much.

Many Thanks

Mug Punter
    Haha is that a serious question? Probably best answered when im drunk.

Hi Guys.

Many Thanks

Mug Punter
    Mug Punter, why don't you start off by tell us what YOU experience every weekend as you go to our Sydney AFL footy games. How has GWS impacted on your club ? Do you see a GWS presence at Thursday night training ?

NOTE TO EVERYONE:- remember what I said about don't poke the bear............
    Last edited by justabaraker; 13th May 2016 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Mug Punter, why don't you start off by tell us what YOU experience every weekend as you go to our Sydney AFL footy games. How has GWS impacted on your club ? Do you see a GWS presence at Thursday night training ?

You are a turnip, you really are

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Why is it GWS's job to be on the ground developing footy in the region.
    They are a professional team whose jobs is win premierships. Its AFL NSW job to grow the game.

How many times do you see the Sydney Kings players running basketball clinics?
    They are meant to be running an academy system, one that is currently being rorted as they do B-All in Sydney and just cherrypick a recruitment zone in AFL heartland, it's a fair question given the current environment or don't you see anything behind the hallowed halls of St Johns College?

You are a turnip, you really are

- - - Updated - - -

They are meant to be running an academy system, one that is currently being rorted as they do B-All in Sydney and just cherrypick a recruitment zone in AFL heartland, it's fair question given the current environment or don't you see anything behind the hallowed halls of St Johns College?
    Seems to me the successful clubs in Sydney have a consistent common thread, the have grown through the their own efforts, not that of the Swans, GWS or even Sydney AFL. When clubs, and the talk from within the club, is what others should be doing to help them they have missed to point to successful growth - Its up to you.

I agree GWS has made many stupid decisions, particularly sponsoring Manly. But so have most AFL clubs, how much value did the West Coast or the Crows get our their sponsorship with Sydney clubs and were local clubs in Perth and Adelaide bemoaning their lack of commitment to local club growth.

Warming the Bench
    Seems to me the successful clubs in Sydney have a consistent common thread, the have grown through the their own efforts, not that of the Swans, GWS or even Sydney AFL. When clubs, and the talk from within the club, is what others should be doing to help them they have missed to point to successful growth - Its up to you.

I agree GWS has made many stupid decisions, particularly sponsoring Manly. But so have most AFL clubs, how much value did the West Coast or the Crows get our their sponsorship with Sydney clubs and were local clubs in Perth and Adelaide bemoaning their lack of commitment to local club growth.
    You seem to miss the point.

I don't think any of the senior clubs in the west expected GWS to support senior football in the area in any tangible way. They would have been happy simply to have an AFL club representing the west of Sydney and hopefully be able to capitalize on the growth in the game there as a result.

But, once the Giants got into bed with the Manly senior club, it changed the landscape considerably. Senior clubs in the west then very rightly asked, "if you are going to support senior football, why do so in the northern beaches and not in your own area?".

And whilst they still still support Manly, that question remains valid and relevant.

News - Manly Warringah Giants - FOX SPORTS PULSE
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 16th May 2016 at 09:25 AM.

1 - none. Well, we had Brett Hand (NEAFL coach at the time) come out and do a session with us in 2014, was a great night. Since then, they sent out 3 fringe players AFTER the season had ended. Fair to say not many showed up.

2 - none. Hang on......nope.

3 - I don't do anything with juniors these days, but I know that an academy training night conflicts with local training so the Saints only get one session per week with a full squad. I can see why parents don't mind this so much, it would eat into spare time doing 3 nights a week....spare a thought for people my age who had to go through Elite Squad training 1 or 2 nights a week at Kelso!

Why is it GWS's job to be on the ground developing footy in the region.
    They are a professional team whose jobs is win premierships. Its AFL NSW job to grow the game.

Had 2 players recently come out to my school. Granted, they probably don't have development officers like the AFL do, but we usually only get guys from ECE div 1 or people with literally no idea come out.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Had 2 players recently come out to my school. Granted, they probably don't have development officers like the AFL do, but we usually only get guys from ECE div 1 or people with literally no idea come out.
    Which club are you at saviour1?

I'd be really interested to see if GWS had any dealings trying to help Campbelltown when they nearly went under last year....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Haha is that a serious question? Probably best answered when im drunk.
    I'll take that as a negative to any help at all....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post

My club is in a Swans zone and I am fully aware of the outstanding work that the Swans do in the local clubs connecting and running talented player pathway programmes

Which club are you at saviour1?

I'd be really interested to see if GWS had any dealings trying to help Campbelltown when they nearly went under last year....
    I was talking about the primary school I teach at in the Auburn area.

Warming the Bench
    You'd have thought that if the Giants wanted to align with a PD club, they would have done so with the only one in their own area (which Campbelltown was at the time) and not a club on the northern beaches.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast