Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 7: Canberra Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Manuka Oval

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Highlights package very exciting this week - O'Riordan and Rohan's highlights in particular

NEAFL highlights Rd 7 - May 16, 2016 - sydneyswans.com.au

Also Canberra Times report - Baptism of fire for Canberra Demons debutant as Swans reserves run riot

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I sat drooling over an effort from #16, not far into the reel and straight out of the Rowan playbook. OK, it was only a lower side in the NEAFL, but my word it looked promising.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I sat drooling over an effort from #16, not far into the reel and straight out of the Rowan playbook. OK, it was only a lower side in the NEAFL, but my word it looked promising.
    Yes, excellent third and fourth efforts, all done at lightning pace.

Veterans List
    On AFL Today Rohan was touted as playing this week.

Senior Player
    Is it just me, or is Nanker getting skinnier? Surely he wouldn't be slower than Teddy, and could play back. Or use Sinclair as a key defender, and Nanker as the forward/ruck. Poor opposition, I know, but I have always been impressed by Nanker's vision and foot skills. He's just a fart too short for a ruckman. Ben Rutten was 199cm.. #justsayin
    C'mon Chels!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not many ruckmen can play as a key defender, especially ones who have had no training in that position.

Jordan Roughead is the only ruckman/defender that comes to mind.

Veterans List
    Newman must be getting close when we need a medium defender, I reckon he could be another Biggs who BTW I always thought got cut too soon.

Getting excited about how far O'Riordan has progressed, looks to have all the attributes, just needs more game awareness. A lock for a HBF next year! releasing Mills further afield.

Wonder what type of player we'll pick with pick 18 this year :-)

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I really wonder what's happening with Marsh. I reckon there are a few teams that he'd walk straight into their starting 22. He must have done something wrong at some stage, he'll probably end up being another Biggs.
    In his first season he was going great guns in the mids before being injured. But after the injury he wasn't the same. The next season they started to swing him into defence as well as through the mids. He ended up in the defence full time. He is learning that caper. But from all I have seen of him he is good in the NEAFL stuff but doesn't impress against AFL teams in the NAB. The step up seems just a bit beyond him. So they don't have anything against him it is just he isn't quite stepping up. Biggs actually stepped up and I didn't understand that one. There were some idiots on BF saying he left us for more money. They seem to forget he was a Rookie in his third season and we decided not to upgrade him at season's end.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    Is it worth GWS and the Swans remaining in the NEAFL?

Apart from when they play each other, the only competitive teams are NT Thunder, Sydney Uni and Aspley. The rest are not at the standard.

Could there be scope and resources for the Swans and GWS to join the VFL?
    That isn't true Luke. Southport took us on a real ride last week. Suns and Lions are not always going to be weak. Redland are not useless either and are in the top 6. The Dees are rebuilding and are a very young side. They are now the only Canberra side and will get better as they recruit some experience to go with the youth.

As to why stay in this league?

1. we are promoting the Eastern Seaboard as an AFL destination.

2. The league gets stronger every year. In the beginning it was just the AFL affiliated sides, NT and Aspley.

3. In time as the academies feed back into the NEAFL and local leagues the NEAFL will become a very strong comp. As it stands it isn't that far from VFL, SANFL and WAFL standard now. A few years ago you couldn't say that. About District Victorian, SA or WA level then.

4. We don't want a situation that has our reserves playing in Melbourne ever again. There was no way we could control how they played, game style or where they played. not only that when it came to living up here half of them opted out taking the easy way to another aFL club. we couldn't get cohesive footy in those days. We were two clubs, Swans and Port Melbourne, even though our players were playing for them. Even as swans Reserves we don't want to repeat playing in the VFL. It divided the club before having two training bases and it would divide it again. Bad idea. As it stands every player gets to train as a Swan, learns the game plan, gets to know his teammates and lives in the beauty of the Harbour City.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    In his first season he was going great guns in the mids before being injured. But after the injury he wasn't the same. The next season they started to swing him into defence as well as through the mids. He ended up in the defence full time. He is learning that caper. But from all I have seen of him he is good in the NEAFL stuff but doesn't impress against AFL teams in the NAB. The step up seems just a bit beyond him. So they don't have anything against him it is just he isn't quite stepping up. Biggs actually stepped up and I didn't understand that one. There were some idiots on BF saying he left us for more money. They seem to forget he was a Rookie in his third season and we decided not to upgrade him at season's end.
    Hiscox didn't step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    His first 2 years were very ordinary and he probably just survived the cut. He started playing regular in defence last year and there was a massive improvement in his game, in fact, he was our best NEAFL player. He was dropped to the rookie list probably because we knew nobody would take him and we wanted another national draft pick. He's continued his form this year. I'd like to see him elevated to the senior list in place of Robinson.

Sorry Ludwig but he hasn't proven he cna actually cut it against AFL players. Even in the NAB he was ordinary. when it comes to stepping up he just doesn't make the cut. I have seen him play three NAB now. His first was ok, second ordinary and this last very ordinary. the risk the coaches would take with him would be enormous. At least Robbo showed he could cut it at senior level in the NAB. He has also played pretty well in a tagging/minder role this season.

I don't really think Marsh has the ability to stop a player and hurt them on the way back. His numbers tell me that. His averages are just that average. While he has done the job on the best smaller forwards in the comp he doesn't get much ball himself generally. When moved into the mids he isn't a star and doesn't hit more than about 20 disposals generally. I think he is a big risk at AFL level. I'd have Davis or Newman in well before him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Hiscox didn't step up.
    Who mentioned Hiscox? I was talking about Marsh. Hiscox was ordinary in the NAB too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast