Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Round 7: Canberra Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Manuka Oval

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Sorry Ludwig but he hasn't proven he cna actually cut it against AFL players. Even in the NAB he was ordinary. when it comes to stepping up he just doesn't make the cut. I have seen him play three NAB now. His first was ok, second ordinary and this last very ordinary. the risk the coaches would take with him would be enormous. At least Robbo showed he could cut it at senior level in the NAB. He has also played pretty well in a tagging/minder role this season.

I don't really think Marsh has the ability to stop a player and hurt them on the way back. His numbers tell me that. His averages are just that average. While he has done the job on the best smaller forwards in the comp he doesn't get much ball himself generally. When moved into the mids he isn't a star and doesn't hit more than about 20 disposals generally. I think he is a big risk at AFL level. I'd have Davis or Newman in well before him.
    There is a real dilemma here for the coaches, there is a lot of talent on the rookie list and most of it is in defence. Any more injuries and Melican might be key, same height and weight as Talia and has footy smarts. With only one LTIL spot available it makes it hard to decide on elevating Marsh, Newman and even O'Riordon who is going gangbusters given his short exposure to the game. Davis is the easy answer in the short term given he is already on the senior list.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Sorry Ludwig but he hasn't proven he cna actually cut it against AFL players. Even in the NAB he was ordinary. when it comes to stepping up he just doesn't make the cut. I have seen him play three NAB now. His first was ok, second ordinary and this last very ordinary. the risk the coaches would take with him would be enormous. At least Robbo showed he could cut it at senior level in the NAB. He has also played pretty well in a tagging/minder role this season.

I don't really think Marsh has the ability to stop a player and hurt them on the way back. His numbers tell me that. His averages are just that average. While he has done the job on the best smaller forwards in the comp he doesn't get much ball himself generally. When moved into the mids he isn't a star and doesn't hit more than about 20 disposals generally. I think he is a big risk at AFL level. I'd have Davis or Newman in well before him.
    Whether it's Marsh, Davis, Newman or any player who has never played an AFL game, there is always uncertainty as to how they will do at a higher level, but I would like to see all 3 given a chance at some stage. I remember you touting Xavier Richards as a sure thing, but he looks anything but right now. Maybe he will make it in the end. Who knows?

I feel very positive about Abe Davis simply because he seems such a natural footballer, reads the play well and has good skills. I like Newman too, but less sure how he will do under pressure as he is prone to error. He seemed okay in the NAB games. He made some mistakes under pressure, so it's hard to say if he will adjust with senior game time.

I don't remember how Marsh did in the preseason games. He's not the kind of player that stands out. Although he's not a big possession winner, he defends well and has become more attacking this year. He keeps racking up votes for best player, so the coaches must think he's doing okay. He clearly has focused on the weaknesses in his game and trying to get those things right before becoming an attacking threat. I honestly don't know if he's capable of stepping up to AFL level, but I think he's played well enough to earn a shot. If we brought him in this week, I can see him playing on James Sicily. They're around the same size and also have similar athletic ability. There should be another opportunity in 3 weeks when we play GC.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    For a side that lost by 142 points the Demons did quite well in the stats.

Nanka 12 kicks, 6 goals. Not a bad return. Good to see Galloway troubled the stats people this week.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Canberra v Sydney
    8: Toby Nankervis (Sydney)
    8: Jordon Foote (Sydney)
    8: Nic Newman (Sydney)
    2: Sam Martyn (Canberra)
    2: Aliir Aliir (Sydney)
    1: Jordan Harper (Canberra)
    1: Callum McFadden (Sydney)

Did Sam Murray get injured ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234