Thread: Kinnear Beatson Interview

Kinnear Beatson Interview

There's a very interesting interview of Kinnear Beatson on the Road to the Draft program:

audioBoom / Road to the 2016 Draft - Ep. 6: Kinnear Beatson

There are many interesting insights into our list management and how we got some of the players on our list and how we go about our list management.

Also some comments on AJ. Kinnear really thinks the world of him. He thinks he'll have another op in mid June and hopes for the best.

Veteran Site Admin
    Really interesting interview. It's nice to hear something with a bit of depth to it. So often, the AFL media stuff is bland and simplistic, but there had been some thought put into the questions Beatson was asked, and his answers were thoughtful too. One of his last comments - about junior coaches trying to emulate AFL level footy rather than focus on the fundamentals of the game - was intriguing.

Veterans List
    Yes Liz, egos take over a lot in junior coaching. Instead of developing the skills of juniors it's all about the premierships and trophies. The interesting comment he made was identifying boys as young as 12. This is the age where the real development starts and our academy work will keep boys away from ego driven coaches. Unfortunately for the heartland states this overseeing doesn't happen, so the skills pool is watered down. We are truly lucky to have KB and the academy coaches guiding our player development. He didn't identify any standout academy boys this year. Is he keeping his powder dry?

Eddies head would explode if we got another academy gun after Heeney and Mills.

It may be just worthwhile getting a good spread of players in the draft next year instead of investing in 1 or 2.

Thanks for posting Ludwig. Fascinating interview.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

If Eddie wants to be as good as Sydney, all he needs to do is poach Kinnear.
    Eddie should learn to look after his own club instead of everyone else's.
    Kinnear is a footy genius.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    If Eddie wants to be as good as Sydney, all he needs to do is poach Kinnear.
    Eddie should learn to look after his own club instead of everyone else's.
    Kinnear is a footy genius.
    Shhhh..... he has ears everywhere.......and chins!

Not sure what happened to my comment. I think I wrote something like this was a great, thoughtful and relatively in-depth interview.

Some highlights include:

* comments about AJ
    * comments about why Mike Pyke suceeded
    * comments about other clubs' approach to trading - especially the little jibe about clubs looking for "steak knives"
    * comments comparing Roos and Horse with Lethal
    * confirming that he has final say in relation to draft selections but not in relation to trades.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Not sure what happened to my comment. I think I wrote something like this was a great, thoughtful and relatively in-depth interview.

Some highlights include:

* comments about AJ
    * comments about why Mike Pyke suceeded
    * comments about other clubs' approach to trading - especially the little jibe about clubs looking for "steak knives"
    * comments comparing Roos and Horse with Lethal
    * confirming that he has final say in relation to draft selections but not in relation to trades.
    Comment wrt TV coverage of the live draft to the effect that he thought the audience may be more interested in the background of the kids in the draft rather than of the presenters. Gold.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Hawthorn list manager Graham Wright is the guest on the Road to the Draft show this week.

audioBoom / Road to the 2016 Draft - Ep. 8: Graham Wright

It was a bit hard to get through it with Hawthorn supporter Nat Edwards all gaga and giggling her way through the interview. Between her and Callum Twomey, the anti-NSW bias was sickening. I would imagine that the show is being paid for by the AFL and these two shouldn't be stirring the Melbourne audience with anti-academy sentiment. I have to say the Wright was far more balanced in his views than the presenters were.

Other than these annoyances I find this series very informative for those interested in some of the inner workings going on behind the scenes at club level. One show gives more insights into footy than all the other news stories for the week put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There's a very interesting interview of Kinnear Beatson on the Road to the Draft program:

audioBoom / Road to the 2016 Draft - Ep. 6: Kinnear Beatson

There are many interesting insights into our list management and how we got some of the players on our list and how we go about our list management.

Also some comments on AJ. Kinnear really thinks the world of him. He thinks he'll have another op in mid June and hopes for the best.
    I loved his comment on AJ. He is absolutely right. AJ would be one of the premier defenders (if not THE best defender IMO) in the game today.