Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 10 Match Day Thread. Sydney V North Melb. SCG. 7.50 pm.

Rnd 10 Match Day Thread. Sydney V North Melb. SCG. 7.50 pm.

2.JPGCapture.JPG

$2.95 for the Undefeated Kangas. Must be a lot of confident Swans backers. Glad to see Harry get a run, I reckon he's done the hard yards and deserves a crack. Question of the day. Are we the only AFL side with 2 Harrys?

harry.JPG

Swans by 23pts. and don't forget the Ressies live at 4.10pm. Link on Ressies thread.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Question of the day. Are we the only AFL side with 2 Harrys?
    I believe we are.

List of current AFL team squads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although technically, our second one is a Harrison. Fascinating Harry fact 163 Harrys have played VFL/AFL, making it the 10th most common first name.

We also have the only player ever with the same first and last name.

Anyway: really looking forward to tonight, should be a huge and physical game. Clear, sunny and a little chilly in Sydney just now. The ressie watchers say good things about Marsh, looking forward to see how he goes.

It's a big night with the Waratahs next door and the first night of the Vivid Festival, so plan your travel accordingly. Reckon 33K would rate as a very good crowd tonight.

Clear, sunny and a little chilly but also VERY windy. It may ease by tonight but it's going to be a factor if it stays like this.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Wind wont suit their tall forwards

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I believe we are. Although technically, our second one is a Harrison. Fascinating Harry fact 163 Harrys have played VFL/AFL, making it the 10th most common first name.

I knew I could rely on you Neil. How about a graph which shows how many "Harrys" have played at each club? and if you have time, What are the top ten first names of AFL/VFL players of all time?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I knew I could rely on you Neil. How about a graph which shows how many "Harrys" have played at each club? and if you have time, What are the top ten first names of AFL/VFL players of all time?
    Consider it done. But perhaps in a new thread, we can't have match day getting too silly too soon

Consider it done. But perhaps in a new thread, we can't have match day getting too silly too soon
    What: we can't distract ourselves by picking an All Harry Allstars?

Sorry! I got a bit excited there. Just something to fill in time before the game.

Here's a bit of a pre-match time filler on one of our favourite subjects: Victorian club bias. It's and article by Graham Cornes regarding the Tom Jonas suspension.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

And for those who haven't worked out how to circumvent The Rupert, here's the text:

TOM Jonas clocked Andrew Gaff. There was no doubt about it. In the time honoured football tradition, he �made him earn it� as the courageous West Coast midfielder ran with the flight of the ball to take the mark.
    Jonas was late to the contest, but not that late that he could have pulled out. Nor should he have pulled out.
    Running with the flight of the ball to take a mark does not give you a right of way.
    Run with the flight of the ball and you can expect a collision. However, at the last split second Jonas raised the elbow.
    Watch it in real time and it�s barely visible. Slow it down and it all seems so brutal. But footy actions don�t happen in slow motion or photo stills. Jonas�s elbow hit the back of Gaff�s head. No question.
    Jonas pleaded guilty and apologised even before he had been charged. However, there are two other things that Jonas is guilty of. One � he doesn�t have a high football profile outside of the Port Adelaide Football Club. Two � he is not a Victorian. The six weeks for which Jonas has been suspended is manifestly excessive when compared to other similarly brutal offences.

In 2014, Richmond�s ill-fated Ty Vickery blatantly hit Dean Cox with a swinging roundhouse punch from behind. Cox was knocked out but eventually got to his feet and was assisted from the ground. Vickery, with a poor record, was suspended for four weeks. The offence was every bit as serious as Jonas�s.

In May 2015 Hawthorn star Jordan Lewis was late to the contest as Todd Goldstein took a mark. Lewis �made him earn it� with a roundhouse clenched fist that flattened the star North Melbourne ruckman. Goldstein was knocked out but recovered to slowly get to his feet and be assisted from the ground. Lewis was suspended for two weeks. The offence was more serious and more blatant than Jonas�s.

In round five 2015, the popular Hawthorn captain Luke Hodge, in an apparently unprovoked attack threw a swinging elbow which connected to the jaw of North Melbourne�s Andrew Swallow.
    Swallow was knocked to the ground and had to be assisted from the ground. Hodge was suspended for three weeks. The offence was more serious than Jonas�s.
    So why would Jonas be suspended for twice as long as Hodge? Trial by media had Jonas convicted and suspended before any tribunal hearing. The �keyboard cowards� on social media, with no knowledge of how much courage it takes to play at the highest level, also had a field day labelling Jonas, among other things, a coward.
    Gaff lying motionless on the ground and being taken off on a stretcher was not a good look and may have compounded Jonas�s case. However, should players� varying abilities to take a punch impact on a penalty? Some get up, some stay down.
    The tribunal assessed Jonas�s action as �intentional�. Port Adelaide argued that it wasn�t intentional but was �careless�, a strategy that drew criticism from some football commentators. However, in the split-second that the offence occurs, it is impossible to say that Jonas intended to hurt Gaff, or even strike him in the back of the head. Jonas even turns away at the point of contact. The tribunal was unmoved and despite the offence being less intentional that the three listed above, hit him with a six week suspension. Jonas took it like a man, accepted responsibility and retired to the gym and the training track to assuage his remorse.
    Jonas is not the only low-profile player from a non-Victorian team to be shafted. Last year the Gold Coast�s Steven May received a ridiculous three match ban for what seemed a legitimate bump on Brisbane�s Tom Rockcliff.
    If a high profile player from a Victorian based team, in round 18 does what Jonas did, his suspension will be no more than four weeks. So much for an Australian Football League.

Senior Player
    I believe we are.

List of current AFL team squads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although technically, our second one is a Harrison. Fascinating Harry fact 163 Harrys have played VFL/AFL, making it the 10th most common first name.

Anyway: really looking forward to tonight, should be a huge and physical game. Clear, sunny and a little chilly in Sydney just now. The ressie watchers say good things about Marsh, looking forward to see how he goes.

It's a big night with the Waratahs next door and the first night of the Vivid Festival, so plan your travel accordingly. Reckon 33K would rate as a very good crowd tonight.
    I think a crowd in excess of 40,000 is more likely. The ticketek website is showing there are only 5 bays remaining where multiple tickets can be purchased. In the main it's either 'single seats only' or 'allocation exhausted.'
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    I can't cop any of that where he defends Jonas and plays down the incident. It was sickening.

"Watch it in real time and it�s barely visible" what world is this guy living in? He threw an elbow from a meter away.

It was intentional to hit him high and he followed the marking player off his own line to make contact.

The rest of the comparisons i also agree were light. Just like Jonas who was the worst of all of them. Should have got 8+.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know little about North this year. Who are their exciting forwards, mids and defenders to watch in this game?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast