Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes v Suns

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    I disagree completely.. The flopping, playing for free kicks, whatever you want to call it, IS a blight on the game. And it needs to be addressed, deperately. I'll watch Whistle Blowers most weeks, and some of the inexplicable decisions that are made (I sympathise with the umps, though) from the Swans games are never highlighted. Yet this week it was pretty much solely about Lindsay Thomas. The ump they had on has his head in the sand, but at least there's enough hysteria surrounding this issue that it might actually be addressed!! Buh bye, Joel Selwood..
    At least Joel can play the game and is tough. Thomas the Tank Engine kicks a huge proportion of his goals from frees and is a sniper, along with Harvey, Thompson and their coach.

Quote Originally Posted by moy View Post
    my understanding is that Longmire isn't a big fan of resting players. i recall last year, he said players needing of rest will get reduced training load mid-week (or words to that effect)
    He isn't. He's a big believer in there being "no easy games" and will only rest someone if they are carrying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I'd give Ted another week and keep Marsh because I saw a few good things out there from Swampy last night.

If Parker is playing hurt I'd rest him and give make Davis our 7th debutant.

Reid back for GWS but another run in the NEAFL will do him no harm
    Davis played very well at FB last week. Very good game with Aliir. They seemed to team very well.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    2014 R23 v Richmond?
    Kennedy last year when he had some soreness. Nothing major, no real injury just general soreness. That's resting.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Helmets do nothing to prevent (or mitigate the impact of) concussion arising from head knocks. They are typically worn to protect structural damage, such as the fractured cheek bone that Ted suffered against West Coast (or in the case of Jude or Kirky, as an attempt to cover up a bleeding head).

Do you know the reality of helmets of the kind worn by Teddy is they don't even do that because they do not cover the cheekbones. They cover the cranial area and this is what that sort of helmet is supposed to protect. you are certainly correct though they do not have any bearing on an already existing concussion. They do cushion the head on impact and can protect against a cranial haemorrhage or lessen the risk of concussion but only marginally. I've worn them a few times and ended up taking them off after only about 10 minutes. I had two black eyes, a broken nose and was knocked out twice in the same match playing against my ex-teammates. They tend to get a bit pissed off when you leave and play well. Helmets did not protect against any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    wow..............i wasn't aware to be honest

the hits i have taken in the old days without a helmet were massive when snowboarding

the crashes I've had since with a helmet have felt much less but now i know that it is quite minimal the protection to the brain when wearing a helmet

The brain lives in a liquid type soup. When you are hit in the head the brain moves around from one side of the head to the other or front to back. The soup that normally protects the brain is displaced due to the impact and the brain may hit the skull. This can do several things; 1. Kill brain cells (they do regenerate, not the same ones of course, unlike the old wives tales that brain cells just die). But as you get older the brain takes longer to regenerate cells. In old age only a proportion of cells regenerate. sometimes cells just die, ie; Alzheimer 2. Cause 'Brain Bruising' 3. Cause the synopses to unbalance and not hit. Any of these factors can be a cause for concussion. I'm not a doctor I am just relating what has been told to me by my doctor after a car accident where I had concussion and was in shock for 5 days. I learned about the synopses (he called them nodes) in psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I've seen a few tired looking teams this weekend, including the Giants and Geelong. GC are a mess. They are coming back from the west coast and on a six day break. They are playing a ressies side with only a few listed players.

There's nothing to be gained by playing against GC reserves, particularly for Reid, who would be a handy inclusion for the Giants game. He might as well play in the seniors this week.

Abe Davis played in defence last game and looked okay. I would bring him in as well. And maybe even give BJ or Rose another go. I'd like to see how our forward line looks if we went a bit taller. I'm not worried about Patton when we play the Giants, but Cameron and Lobb pose a challenge as they are both tall and mobile, not like North forwards who we handled easily with a small backline.

Out: The 3 most tired, sore players.
    Suns will get 7 players back including Ablett, Day, Kolodjashnij, May, Rosa, Miller & McKenzie so will be a lot more competitive. But all those players will be needing match practice so will be a little rusty. But a much better line up.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    And your argument was looking so good.

On topic - I don't think resting is required. I put faith in the Swans who haven't rested players in the past. Our young players have been in the system for a number seasons, and I'm guessing hear as much as anyone else, their fitness levels are at the required levels, hence they get a games.
    In 2014 running up to the finals we didn't rest. we played pretty well until the last one then we had no legs. Hawks DID rest players and who won the GF?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    The brain lives in a liquid type soup. When you are hit in the head the brain moves around from one side of the head to the other or front to back. The soup that normally protects the brain is displaced due to the impact and the brain may hit the skull. This can do several things; 1. Kill brain cells (they do regenerate, not the same ones of course, unlike the old wives tales that brain cells just die). But as you get older the brain takes longer to regenerate cells. In old age only a proportion of cells regenerate. sometimes cells just die, ie; Alzheimer 2. Cause 'Brain Bruising' 3. Cause the synapses to unbalance and not hit. Any of these factors can be a cause for concussion. I'm not a doctor I am just relating what has been told to me by my doctor after a car accident where I had concussion and was in shock for 5 days. I learned about the synapses (he called them nodes) in psychology.
    Interesting stuff Wolfy.

Spellcheck courtesy of RWO.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    No changes for us

Plenty of changes for them

Rosa, Sexton, Kolodjashnij, Miller, AhChee, Joyce in for Russell, Shaw, Cameron, Tape, Lemmens, Schade

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Kennedy last year when he had some soreness. Nothing major, no real injury just general soreness. That's resting.
    Kennedy played all 24 games last year.

Jack Nankervis Rose emergencies

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast