Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes v Suns

Concussion is the result of the brain "bouncing" off the inside of the skull. A helmet reduces the external impact of, say, forearm on head or head on turf, but if there's sufficient force, then the brain can still bounce off the skull and result in concussion. Witness the incidence of concussion in American football.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    That's what I'm saying. I'm using pillows as an extreme.
    Given that the helmets aren't made of just plastic, and that they contain some padding, it doesn't make sense that they have no effect on softening the blow of the head to the ground.
    The thing with high impact head injuries, of the head hitting the ground is the sudden deceleration of the cranium as it impacts with the ground.
    The brain is essentially like jelly in a solid bowl (the bowl being the skull in my example). Put a helmet on the bowl and drop it. The helmet stops the bowl from breaking, but as the bowl suddenly decelerates (ie hits the ground and stops all downwards momentum) the brain (jelly) itself isn't secured in the skull (bowl) buy much so it continues its forward momentum essentially squishing itself against the skull. As the head bounces back up, the brain is propelled back in he opposite direction, hitting the back of the skull.
    Now, there are obviously some attachments to the brain, but these are soft tissues & blood vessels and essentially a little tenuous, they are prone to tearing with the traumatic high impact.

A cushioned helmet will offer some protection compared to nothing, as any padding will offer some protective deceleration of the head (and consequently the brain in the head) the debate will be how negligible this is (answer: probably pretty negligible given the force vectors involved.)
    Last edited by goswannies; 29th May 2016 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    A cushioned helmet will offer some protection compared to nothing, as any padding will offer some deceleration of the head (and consequently the brain in the head) the debate will be how negligible this is (answer: probably pretty negligible given the force vectors involved.)
    That was my only point.
    I wasn't trying to make out that a helmet is the answer to concussion, but it must help to some degree, the degree of which is somewhere between relevant and negligible.
    Not sure where it lands, but it may not be as negligible as you think.

I fully understand how concussions happen, hence my analogy to the extreme of pillows wrapped around a head.
    Of course the pillows will dissipate the force with which the head makes contact with the ground, just as a helmet will (however negligible)
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    Heeney looking a bit tired?
    Heeney looked he was struggling with the thompson match up. Was rattled by thompson's filthy behaviour and just couldn't get involved. Heeney was thrown up the ground to try and have an impact on the game.
    Using Tapatalk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Thrown up the ground is one way to put it, he was used as the spare man in defence at times and curiously most of the time was positioned right on the goalline by himself.

I've seen a few tired looking teams this weekend, including the Giants and Geelong. GC are a mess. They are coming back from the west coast and on a six day break. They are playing a ressies side with only a few listed players.

There's nothing to be gained by playing against GC reserves, particularly for Reid, who would be a handy inclusion for the Giants game. He might as well play in the seniors this week.

Abe Davis played in defence last game and looked okay. I would bring him in as well. And maybe even give BJ or Rose another go. I'd like to see how our forward line looks if we went a bit taller. I'm not worried about Patton when we play the Giants, but Cameron and Lobb pose a challenge as they are both tall and mobile, not like North forwards who we handled easily with a small backline.

Out: The 3 most tired, sore players.

Resting players for the sake of it sends the wrong message. The rest of the team gets the message that it's a game that we should cruise in and they will then play accordingly. If someone is genuinely sore or has a niggle then that's ok, but otherwise play them until the bye. We've not regularly done it in recent history and we've gone ok year to year by my observation. Don't forget also that we get a week off before finals this year too, which I think is daft and a knee-jerk reaction to some clubs resting players but it's there all the same.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

The question to be answered when resting a player is: Of what benefit to the player is it for him to miss a game? If there is a niggling injury that a week off would aid in the recovery of, then maybe it's worthwhile giving him a rest. If the week off would make no difference to his recovery it's pointless.

The subject of the toll the season takes on young players has been raised every year since the expansion teams found themselves tailing off as the season went on. Almost every commentator talks about how hard the season can be on any player, let alone the younger ones. If we are planning to get to a GF we'll have to play 25 games, not the mere 22 that the expansion teams have played so far each year. Tired young players are also more prone to injury, one of the reason why GC and GWS always seem to have long injury lists. I think it's logical to strategically rest some younger players at opportune times in the season, this game being one of those times. I'd like to have Mills and Heeney as fresh as possible at the pointy end of the season.

I also think it makes sense to play Reid and Davis this week, for reasons mentioned previously. So who would be the most logical 2 to be omitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I also think it makes sense to play Reid and Davis this week, for reasons mentioned previously. So who would be the most logical 2 to be omitted?
    Given who we're playing, I think that would be wise also.
    Rest the two who need it most.
    Papley should also come back in for a run.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Does anyone know what niggle, if any, Parker is suffering from ?

He's been looking decidedly frustrated the last few weeks, and seems to of lost the urge to jump.

But he's still finding plenty of the ball and doing lots of grunt work...A testament to him if he is carrying an injury.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

i thought Parks had a run with role with JZ on the weekend and executed this very very very well ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast