Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: (Not so) sweet caroline

I heard Hells Bells during the game before a bounce.
    Much more inspiring and appropriate.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

It was brilliant. They started playing Sweet Caroline, there was a collective groan from all, then there was a scratching sound like the record being taken off and they played Don't Stop Me Now instead. A clever idea that was cheeky but not rude, and a WAY better song.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    While we're on SCG entertainment, am I the only one who is driven crackers by the guy and gal with the over amplified nonsense talk?
    It's so distorted that I can't understand what they say.
    I'm quite happy to be called old and grumpy if that what the majority think.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    While we're on SCG entertainment, am I the only one who is driven crackers by the guy and gal with the over amplified nonsense talk?
    My pet peeve at ALL footy venues: people who imagine that because they have access to a microphone they must use it for whatever drivel. As the real estate people might say, it ruins the amenity of the ground. You can't have a chat with mates or complete strangers about what is happening on the ground, which is actually the reason why we're there in the first place.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I've trained myself to ignore it now. Last week I looked up at half time and what was on screen were two kids playing video games? No doubt it's sponsor driven but a strange way to provide half time entertainment.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Eddie McGuire sung Sweet Caroline for the Footy Show Revue, this surely has to be the best reason for the song to be canned from next year!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I heard Hells Bells during the game before a bounce.
    Much more inspiring and appropriate.
    Yeah, the Giants play "Hells Bells" before every game out at Spotless. It's pretty cool. But the pinnacle for me was Eminem's "Lose Yourself"
    before the prelim against Collingwood at ANZ in 2012. We were never going to lose after that !

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yeah, the Giants play "Hells Bells" before every game out at Spotless. It's pretty cool. But the pinnacle for me was Eminem's "Lose Yourself"
    before the prelim against Collingwood at ANZ in 2012. We were never going to lose after that !
    Melbourne also play "Hells Bells." The intro to the song is played in the minute or so leading up to the players entering the ground. As the players run through the cheer squad's banner, the song then changes to the club's theme song. Quite effective - especially as they are the Demons!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Eddie McGuire sung Sweet Caroline for the Footy Show Revue, this surely has to be the best reason for the song to be canned from next year!

Haven't watched The Footy Show for years and didn't see their "revue." Was McGuire possibly taking the pi55 out of us by singing "Sweet Caroline?"

And any show that gives publicity and attention to Jake King is seriously flawed! (I'm presuming that's him in the above picture?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Melbourne also play "Hells Bells." The intro to the song is played in the minute or so leading up to the players entering the ground. As the players run through the cheer squad's banner, the song then changes to the club's theme song. Quite effective - especially as they are the Demons!

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't watched The Footy Show for years and didn't see their "revue." Was McGuire possibly taking the pi55 out of us by singing "Sweet Caroline?"

And any show that gives publicity and attention to Jake King is seriously flawed! (I'm presuming that's him in the above picture?)
    Or Caroline Wilson perhaps (given she's Tigers fan?)

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Or Caroline Wilson perhaps (given she's Tigers fan?)
    Hmmm. Interesting theory!

Senior Player
    �These days, the song is a kind of order to be entertained, an injunction to act like you�re having a good time. Apparently Diamond never liked it anyway. Now millions of sports fans feel the same way.�

Sound of silence: when will common sense prevail over music at events? | Andy Bull | Sport | The Guardian

Robbie Williams played this at an evening on the green last month.
    It's a good song, ruined because it is now linked to AFL.
    Just the wrong type of song.
    To me it says "our fans are chardonnay drinking middle aged men & women who sit and clap every so often at the footy"
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast