Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: (Not so) sweet caroline

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    They used to play Up there for Sydney at the 3 quarter time break. Don't remember it happening this year.
    They still play it at three quarter time. We were singing along to it on Friday night.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

The kids love it, and it relaxes the umpires .

It gives us a new annual thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mariachi View Post
    Can anyone explain the relevance of playing sweet caroline at quarter time? Does it have anything to do with the Swans? Did someone at HQ accidentally buy the rights during an after hours office drinking session, and now we're stuck with it? I for one can't stand it. (I'd much prefer "I see red" - split enz still boast some of the best hairdos in pop history)
    There is no relevance. Someone from the marketing arm of the club clearly went to Fenway Park at some point and came home with the idea. I can't stand it personally but I've already reached the point where I block it out.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    I'm one of the grumpy old ladies who would like them to get rid of all the nonsense that goes on at the breaks. Half time is for the Auskick Kids the rest is for conversing with others at the ground about the state of play. I'm not convinced that playing any song at quarter time will convince someone to come to a game.
    Hallelujah sister!!! May God bless you and all your ancestors and descendants.

I think it started a couple of years back when it was played in the quarter time break and the crowd started to sing along and it took off from there! It was a bit of harmless fun - now it's a bit annoying . (Well that's the only reason I could come up with) but it is a bit awkward when they play it and the players & umps are standing there waiting in the middle for it to finish

Unfortunately, they used to play 'Up there for Sydney' when the team ran out on to the ground in the early 2000's. We lobbied for it to be changed to the 'Cheer Cheer' club song by writing letters to the club. We got a letter back thanking us and agreeing with our position and they changed it. Not taking any credit, but since then we have rarely been out of the eight. I couldn't care if I ever heard 'Up there for Sydney' again. I vote 'I see Red'.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They need to replace it with something newer, exciting, upbeat that the young kids coming to see the Buddy Show will be into! Like Crunchy Granola Suite!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Yeah, they can also rotate songs, instead of the same one all the time.
    Thunderstruck would be good, especially since we have thunder in our song.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    They need to replace it with something newer, exciting, upbeat that the young kids coming to see the Buddy Show will be into! Like Crunchy Granola Suite!
    or Cracklin Rosie??????????

I don't like it

I don't mind the concept of a song brought out during a break, as it will create a bit of tradition.

Though, it should be more 'genuine' then Sweet Caroline. Geez. It just seems so forced and artificial.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast