Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: (Not so) sweet caroline

Quote Originally Posted by joemoore12 View Post
    I'll one up you:

That'd ought to set the crowd alight at quarter time.

Oh those short, short shorts!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Stick with Up There for Sydney at 3 quarter time and bring back the early 90s Swans' theme song 'Kick On' at quarter time for nostalgia sake
    And I'll forever be watching the game from my lounge room. Refer comment 30 above.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I'm not a grumpy old lady but I agree wholeheartedly.
    As for all of those 'football songs'.....naff. That Glen Shorrock one still makes me retch.
    Pub rock, yawn.
    If there has to be a song (relevant or otherwise), something with some energy. Pump It Up - Elvis Costello. Fast Cars - The Buzzcocks. Ray Gun - The Morels.

I do think there's some value in standing, stretching the legs, sharing impressions with those around you. It's as though they think we'll become all disorientated if we aren't bombarded with noise and advertising.
    I think it is all part of the "I need to be entertained 24/7 generation!!"

Senior Player
    Hey don't blame the young folk, Sweet Caroline is not a song they're responsible for. And the people at the club who came up with it are likely not young folk either.

This one is pretty squarely on the older generation.

Warming the Bench
    Bumpity bump, for all those who hate this song, there's now a petition here: Attention Required! | Cloudflare. Minor issue I know in the scheme of things, but just another irritation this season.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I'm a Melbourne based member and make a trip to the SCG once a year to see my Bloods . At the game I went to last year and on my annual visit yesterday, the song Sweet Caroline came on near the end of a quarter break. This resulted in the ludicrous situation of all umpires and players being in position to re-start the game with the song still blaring. Now, I realise the umpires were probably waiting for TV stations to finish ad breaks and weren't actually waiting for the song to finish but, to me, the timing of the song's use is embarrassing. And the song doesn't seem to have been adopted by the crowd either. And when my team is about to start another quarter and I'm nervous or hopeful or excited or disappointed, the last thing I want and need is a singalong.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yes that is my major bugbear too. They start the song about 45 seconds late.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I'm less concerned about SC than my other bugbears:

The appalling catering services at the SCG�poor quality offerings and just rubbish customer service;
    The overly loud, distorted PR blaring throughout breaks between quarters; and
    The distracting LED advertising around the boundary.

And the SCG acts like its doing us a massive favour when they allow kick-to-kick to happen, failing to recognise that it is intrinsic to the game.

I love going to the footy, and the atmospherics at the SCG can be brilliant (twilight games are just extraordinary), but they seem to be doing their best to butcher the experience.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Oh I agree completely with the poor attitude of the SCG in general.

The scheduling of gates to be opened 5 minutes before opening bounce of the Reserves game, barely giving you enough time to get to your seats. And that's if they open the gates on time. They were late by 3 minutes yesterday at Gate A

To add insult to injury the turnstiles malfunctioned again for the second game in a row leaving frustrated irate spectators standing outside.

Would it really hurt anyone to open the gates a further five minutes earlier?

Food:
    Advertising their "gourmet" burgers are available without chips, but not stating it is the same price as with chips (which is a rip off at $16-20). You only find out when you go to pay after you've waited in line for a while. And when you raise your objections, they dismiss it with a very condescending attitude.

Which wouldn't be so bad if the food was any good, but it's a pathetic offering of ingredients haphazardly thrown together without any care, and tastes like cardboard.

I've emailed the SCG with these complaints but heard no response. Not surprised with that because they basically are a monopoly and know us patrons have little power given we want to go watch our team play.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I'm less concerned about SC than my other bugbears:

The appalling catering services at the SCG�poor quality offerings and just rubbish customer service;
    The overly loud, distorted PR blaring throughout breaks between quarters; and
    The distracting LED advertising around the boundary.

And the SCG acts like its doing us a massive favour when they allow kick-to-kick to happen, failing to recognise that it is intrinsic to the game.

I love going to the footy, and the atmospherics at the SCG can be brilliant (twilight games are just extraordinary), but they seem to be doing their best to butcher the experience.
    SC doesn't bother me, neither does it add anything meaningful to the Swans, so I'd be happy to see it replaced.

Never use the catering so can't comment.

Totally agree re PR - too loud, unnecessary, doesn't add anything useful, and can't understand what they are saying anyway.

LED? Doesn't bother me.

Kick-to-kick announcements? Now you are just being grumpy. This is an in-joke between the announcer and the crowd. If the ground conditions (or other reasons) mean kick-to-kick won't go ahead, he announces it and we boo. Including those of us who never take part in kick-to-kick. And if it will go ahead he announces it with a bit of ceremony (knowing our reaction) and we all cheer - and as before, including those who won't join in anyway. Don't take this little game as some SCG autocratic sneer, it's actually quite funny!

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I really don't understand why they play Sweet Caroline and on Sunday it had barely started before the players took their positions. I think the umpires had to wait for the chorus before they could bounce the ball.

I'd happily bring back Tom Derickxz and give up Neil Diamond.
    Last edited by Billericay; 9th May 2017 at 12:03 AM.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast