Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: (Not so) sweet caroline

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Kick-to-kick announcements? Now you are just being grumpy. This is an in-joke between the announcer and the crowd. If the ground conditions (or other reasons) mean kick-to-kick won't go ahead, he announces it and we boo. Including those of us who never take part in kick-to-kick. And if it will go ahead he announces it with a bit of ceremony (knowing our reaction) and we all cheer - and as before, including those who won't join in anyway. Don't take this little game as some SCG autocratic sneer, it's actually quite funny!
    It's good fun. Last year had the classic announcement of "no kick to kick", boos, followed by "I've made a few phone calls and...kick to kick is on!" (cheers). Think there was even a video cameo from the announcer with exaggerated turn to camera and cheesy thumbs-up.

(Not so) sweet caroline

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    It's good fun. Last year had the classic announcement of "no kick to kick", boos, followed by "I've made a few phone calls and...kick to kick is on!" (cheers). Think there was even a video cameo from the announcer with exaggerated turn to camera and cheesy thumbs-up.
    Yes I really enjoy the way the announcer has joined in the pantomime.

Though I do wonder what the players, particularly the visiting players who are less likely to know about this routine, make of the wild cheers/boos which have nothing to do with what's happening on the ground. (I assume the players don't listen to the announcements - or at least I hope they don't as they should be concentrating on what is happening with the ball!)
    Last edited by Meg; 9th May 2017 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bindo View Post
    Bumpity bump, for all those who hate this song, there's now a petition here: Attention Required! | Cloudflare. Minor issue I know in the scheme of things, but just another irritation this season.
    Hey, I like the petition. Now will someone please start one to get bl...y Kiss Cam banned from the cricket??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I'm less concerned about SC than my other bugbears:

The appalling catering services at the SCG�poor quality offerings and just rubbish customer service;
    The overly loud, distorted PR blaring throughout breaks between quarters; and
    The distracting LED advertising around the boundary.

And the SCG acts like its doing us a massive favour when they allow kick-to-kick to happen, failing to recognise that it is intrinsic to the game.

I love going to the footy, and the atmospherics at the SCG can be brilliant (twilight games are just extraordinary), but they seem to be doing their best to butcher the experience.
    I was there on Sunday too.
    The other thing was when the large screen changed to after a goal, the score disappeared. The MCG always has the score visible.
    And the wanker who organisers the precious security rope for the coaches in the Ladies stand, stood in front of us for the last few minutes of the 3rd term without any concern that we couldn't see past his fat head. Despite my "polite" pleadings.

Veteran Site Admin
    I just received an online survey in my inbox. I rarely respond to surveys (most are appallingly designed and ask you to rate things you just don't care about) but I did respond to this one just so I could comment on how irritating it is that the ground gates open moments before the reserves game starts.

I forgot to add that I find SC cringeworthy!

Not sure how we can expect the Swans to come out blazing when they have the drone of this song in their heads.
    How about "All Fired Up"
    Or "Eye Of The Tiger"
    Or "Jump"
    Or "The Final Countdown"
    Or "We're Not Gonna Take It"
    Or "The Boys Are Back In Town"

Rotate through these and others depending on what's happening in the game.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    If it has to be something obvious that everyone knows, then, 'Pump It Up' by Elvis Costello.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

I know this probably needs a new thread, but O'Reilly Boy's comments have sparked one of my bug-bears. The NSW Govt is (apparently) selling off stuff to raise millions to build/update stadiums across Sydney. The first toilet door on the left of the ladies toilets behind Bay 29 has not been able to be closed since at least 1994, (23 years), when I first started going to Swans games. All it would take to fix would be an odd job man with a wood plane and 5 minutes to spare. I know the new stand was costly but surely a bit of maintenance around the rest of the ground is not too much to ask ?

And, further to the food comment. There is a much better selection available in the new stand but the plebs on the other side can't shop there. Even an hour before the game. Anyone know why ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    If it has to be something obvious that everyone knows, then, 'Pump It Up' by Elvis Costello.

Great suggestion ! I've always thought that Caroline must be the ground announcer's wife. Its a daggy song, but I sing along anyway ...

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I just received an online survey in my inbox. I rarely respond to surveys (most are appallingly designed and ask you to rate things you just don't care about) but I did respond to this one just so I could comment on how irritating it is that the ground gates open moments before the reserves game starts.

I forgot to add that I find SC cringeworthy!
    IMO the only redeeming feature of Sweet Caroline is that, being a slow song, me and my mate can easily make ridiculous lyrics up each time we go to the SCG for a game to 'sing along' to it - my partner cringes however when we do it, but we have a bit of fun in the process
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Margo View Post
    I know this probably needs a new thread, but O'Reilly Boy's comments have sparked one of my bug-bears. The NSW Govt is (apparently) selling off stuff to raise millions to build/update stadiums across Sydney. The first toilet door on the left of the ladies toilets behind Bay 29 has not been able to be closed since at least 1994, (23 years), when I first started going to Swans games. All it would take to fix would be an odd job man with a wood plane and 5 minutes to spare. I know the new stand was costly but surely a bit of maintenance around the rest of the ground is not too much to ask ?
    Ah Margo, now you've got me started as well. There are two leaking toilet cisterns in the ladies loos behind Bay 4 in the Brewongle - been like that for at least 10 years. By the end of a match you have to tromp through a puddle to access several of the cubicles. Maintenance? Don't think the SCG knows the word.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    A petition for this!?!...some people have way too much time on their hands!
    Swannies for life!

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast