Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFL Draft Requirements

Veterans List
    There have been drafts in recent times where clubs have only had just two live selections and from memory just one live selection, maybe West Coast?

The intent of the rules are to make sure there is turnover on every list to stop clubs hoarding talent like they did in the old days. But the landscape has changed anyway with far more player generated movement. We've seen it ourselves where Biggs and Membrey basically left to seek greater opportunities.

I would think even the premier team would use at least their first two picks of 18 & 36 as there is still solid talent out that far. Once you get into the 40s it is more hit and miss so if you were sitting on solid rookies you'd probably upgrade to get your third list change rather than using pick 54.

GWS salary cap discussed earlier will be a non issue with the cap certain to be raised and another batch of players moving out for more opportunity, McCarthy and Tomlinson for certain, and good draft picks coming to the Giants to easily claim all those highly rated Riverina kids like McCreadie, Setterfield, Perryman etc

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    GWS salary cap discussed earlier will be a non issue with the cap certain to be raised and another batch of players moving out for more opportunity, McCarthy and Tomlinson for certain, and good draft picks coming to the Giants to easily claim all those highly rated Riverina kids like McCreadie, Setterfield, Perryman etc
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. Assuming GWS had pre-signed all it's star players to long term contracts prior to the cap being raised, then yes they could afford to pay those contracts. For example the Swans would benefit with Buddy being on a long term deal that we could now more easily afford. However once the cap goes up other clubs will have larger war chests to chase the big names. The increased salary cap works both ways and effectively just lifts the salary expectations of gun players.

Obviously with GWS they have such a huge bank of talented players that they should be able to turn them over via trades to keep themselves at the top for at least the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    There have been drafts in recent times where clubs have only had just two live selections and from memory just one live selection, maybe West Coast?

The intent of the rules are to make sure there is turnover on every list to stop clubs hoarding talent like they did in the old days. But the landscape has changed anyway with far more player generated movement. We've seen it ourselves where Biggs and Membrey basically left to seek greater opportunities.

I would think even the premier team would use at least their first two picks of 18 & 36 as there is still solid talent out that far. Once you get into the 40s it is more hit and miss so if you were sitting on solid rookies you'd probably upgrade to get your third list change rather than using pick 54.

You're quite right about a club taking it's first two round picks but I just have a feeling we may trade our first rounder this year and take a second rounder in the late 30s with two rookie upgrades. Assuming we can do this, and I see no reason from the AFL rules why we can't.

I think we'll be keen to keep the list at 38 and not 39 or 40 as it seems to work for us. That will mean we need to find four to de-list - think that X-R, Ted, TDx and Hiscox are the obvious choices but if Jack is kept on then I could possibly see us go to 39 for one year. I still reckon we may have to offer a player as a sweetener if we want a KPD of true quality and I think Deano probably is the only player with any appeal who isn't locked in 100% as a required player, even though I rate the guy personally

GWS just have a conveyer-belt of talent and I can see then decreasing their list by at least another two this year so if they want to draft four guns then they'll offload six and you can bet that at least four of then will have some serious trade value. I can see them getting Pick 1 plus three gun Riverina kids and three first rounders next year as they trade three players out for first round picks, it's just a matter of who but I'd say Tomlinson, Hoskin-Elliot, McCarthy and Marchbank are all worth first rounders. They would potentially be ruing not letting MCCarthy go but I think they had to draw a line in the sand there and I think they've dealt with it very well.
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 21st June 2016 at 11:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12