Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Swans Derby Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    At the time that South were moved to Sydney the Vic government didn't allow broadcast of VFL on Sundays. The Vics were so desperate to watch Sunday footy on TV, Channel 2 used to broadcast the old VFA.
    The solution, move South to Sydney play their games on Sunday and bingo you have VFL on TV on Sunday.
    Even back then TV requirements were determining the footy schedule.
    And they all lived (somewhat) happily ever after. Despite great resistance at the time from the establishment this was a stroke of genius and a quantum leap for the game.

On GWS, I'm still keeping an open mind. I don't think anybody really knows how this is going to pan out. 10 years is a long time these days and it is impossible to speculate accurately on what will happen after sustained on-field success for the Giants.

Definitely a gamble by the AFL but I'm sure they have done the risk analysis. Canberra and Tassie are just as risky in terms of long-term success (taking in all criteria) but would well and truly be folded into the fall-back position.

I am OK with declaring that GWS are now my second team. I look forward to a day when I despise them but for the moment I wish them well (except against the Swans).

Meanwhile, I won't be surprised if they are a roaring success off the field in 10 years time. The world has been turned up-side down in the last decade and will probably take on a whirling dervish sequence in the next one. Stuff changes very quickly now. In the digital era, it only takes one good meme to create a phenomenon.

Futurism is a minefield.

It will be good TV to see a packed stadium at a GWS home game on Sunday (regardless of where they come from) and that is good news for the AFL experiment.

Senior Player
    Hence why some of us are going to Spotless at 4:40PM on a Sunday afternoon. So people in Melbourne have a game to watch.
    Not that I'm complaining but it seems to me that there are some parallels between the Swans arriving here in 1982, and the Giants being set up here thirty years later. As I remember there were a lot of dire predictions about the fate of the Swans in the early 90s, and the AFL sent in game legend / spruiker Ron Barassi to save the day. How different is that really from Sheedy's stint at GWS? I agree it's a slightly weird environment at GWS games at Spotless (and I go to lots of them because I have too much spare time) compared to games at the SCG or in Melbourne, but many Melbourne folks think the SCG footy environment is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    At the time that South were moved to Sydney the Vic government didn't allow broadcast of VFL on Sundays. The Vics were so desperate to watch Sunday footy on TV, Channel 2 used to broadcast the old VFA.
    The solution, move South to Sydney play their games on Sunday and bingo you have VFL on TV on Sunday.
    Even back then TV requirements were determining the footy schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    It will be good TV to see a packed stadium at a GWS home game on Sunday (regardless of where they come from) and that is good news for the AFL experiment.
    A packed GWS home game on Sunday says more about the success of Sydney than it says about GWS. To me it says that The Swans now have a large volume group of "hard core" supporters who will turn up no matter where to see their team.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    A packed GWS home game on Sunday says more about the success of Sydney than it says about GWS. To me it says that The Swans now have a large volume group of "hard core" supporters who will turn up no matter where to see their team.
    Good point, Annie's not in that "hard core" group :-) Don't worry Annie, itsa sellout so in effect you freed up your ticket for another Swans fan.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    even prepared to brave the outskirts of the inner west! ????

Kevin "sheeds" Sheedy ran over Mug "angry man" Punters dog.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    even prepared to brave the outskirts of the inner west! ????
    Stock up on soy lattes and boutique beers before you hit auburn. .... just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Good point, Annie's not in that "hard core" group :-) Don't worry Annie, itsa sellout so in effect you freed up your ticket for another Swans fan.
    I bet I pay more for my membership(s) than you do.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I bet I pay more for my membership(s) than you do.
    So what does that prove again? Casual fans would pay more for a corporate box than you would.

So...?
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

I went to my favourite coffee shop this morning hoping to sign up a few new Swans members, but to my chagrin they said a farang named 'Bally' was just there a couple of days ago and now they are Orangemen (and Orangewomen).

I also discovered that Chiang Rai is part of the GWS academy zone. Where will it all end?

The roast.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I went to my favourite coffee shop this morning hoping to sign up a few new Swans members, but to my chagrin they said a farang named 'Bally' was just there a couple of days ago and now they are Orangemen (and Orangewomen).

I also discovered that Chiang Rai is part of the GWS academy zone. Where will it all end?

The roast.jpg
    Yes, all these deals that go on with little public scrutiny. I've heard that Collingwood has been granted access to areas of Thailand, to compensate for the loss of its Pentridge Academy.

000000-000.jpg

Old news. Eddie has been quoted as saying he fully supports GWS investing in academies in areas which are unlikely to ever produce any players

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast