Thread: The numbers that matter

Senior Player

The numbers that matter

Some interesting numbers here. One that stood out to me was Harry Cunningham being the most effective kicker inside 50 in the league
    The numbers that matter - sydneyswans.com.au

Veteran Site Admin
    Harry's problem is that he doesn't do it enough. Better to have someone who kicks at 75% but does it twice as often, I would have thought.

I think the selection (or at least, the interpretation) of the numbers that matter was a bit odd. We're sitting second on the table, yet none of the numbers that matter really focus on things that the Swans are much good at, especially the run and carry indicators. And while I don't dispute that the team needs a bit more run and carry, it's a bit hard to do when it's pissing down with rain. Has any other club played in four wet games this year (including two absolute drenchers)?

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised Laidler is not on the list of intercept marks.
    He must be next on the list. Maybe he just seems to take the more critical ones.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the selection (or at least, the interpretation) of the numbers that matter was a bit odd.
    It's part of a AFL-wide article that has the same metrics for every club, rather than focusing (despite what the title would lead you to believe) on the numbers that have contributed each team's success and style of play.

The numbers that really matter for your club - AFL.com.au

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It's part of a AFL-wide article that has the same metrics for every club, rather than focusing (despite what the title would lead you to believe) on the numbers that have contributed each team's success and style of play.

The numbers that really matter for your club - AFL.com.au
    Yeah, I read it on the main AFL website before I saw the Swans excerpt. Still wonder how they decide what numbers matter, given the Swans are clearly doing a fair few things right (and things that contribute to actually winning games).

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's a good point, liz- I'd be more interested in someone honing in on whether there are any stats that the top 4/8 excel in as a group and providing some commentary on where teams that aren't doing so well in those areas can either improve (or counteract with their own strengths).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Harry's problem is that he doesn't do it enough. Better to have someone who kicks at 75% but does it twice as often, I would have thought.

I think the selection (or at least, the interpretation) of the numbers that matter was a bit odd. We're sitting second on the table, yet none of the numbers that matter really focus on things that the Swans are much good at, especially the run and carry indicators. And while I don't dispute that the team needs a bit more run and carry, it's a bit hard to do when it's pissing down with rain. Has any other club played in four wet games this year (including two absolute drenchers)?
    Jetta mk 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Jetta mk 2.
    One thing that has really surprised me is how little we miss Jetta. He had good outside run but in hindsight he was a luxury we're better off without and WCE seem to be finding that out, and I really get no joy from that because I wanted it to work out for him there.

For all his weaknesses though, that run in the 2012 GF and the way he stood up to the Subiaco morons last year will always have him as one of my favourites

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    For all his weaknesses though, that run in the 2012 GF and the way he stood up to the Subiaco morons last year will always have him as one of my favourites
    +1

I just loved the cheeky smile he had for the first few years.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    One thing that has really surprised me is how little we miss Jetta. He had good outside run but in hindsight he was a luxury we're better off without and WCE seem to be finding that out, and I really get no joy from that because I wanted it to work out for him there.

The length of the field run to goal against Collingwood is my favourite. Still wish him well.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)