Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nick Malceski and other departing Swans

Nick Malceski and other departing Swans

When watching the game, was kind of sad to see what's happened to Grand Final hero Nick Malceski. Get that he went up there for huge money but apart from that, it's been a disaster for him. Got thinking that in recent years, we've got the better in terms of player movement in that players seem to play better footy while with us.

Tried to come up with a list of players post 1996 who excelled after leaving the Swans
    *Peter Caven
    *Scott Stevens
    *Paul Licuria
    *Anthony Rocca/Shannon Grant (truth be told they were never staying but still putting them here)
    *Sean Dempster (still have no idea why we gave away a Father Son premiership player - anyone know)
    *Shane Biggs

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    When watching the game, was kind of sad to see what's happened to Grand Final hero Nick Malceski. Get that he went up there for huge money but apart from that, it's been a disaster for him. Got thinking that in recent years, we've got the better in terms of player movement in that players seem to play better footy while with us.

Tried to come up with a list of players post 1996 who excelled after leaving the Swans
    *Peter Caven
    *Scott Stevens
    *Paul Licuria
    *Anthony Rocca/Shannon Grant (truth be told they were never staying but still putting them here)
    *Sean Dempster (still have no idea why we gave away a Father Son premiership player - anyone know)
    *Shane Biggs
    Mummy, Drey & Tim Membry haven't been too bad at their respective clubs

Schneider was probably at least as good with the Saints as he was with us.

Dan Currie, while not setting the world alight, has achieved more since leaving, as has Nipper Gordon
    Last edited by goswannies; 5th June 2016 at 08:27 PM.

Top 5 who left by our choice..
    1. Mummy. Mistake keeping pyke instead in hindsight.
    2. Schneider. Classy player
    3. Dempster.
    4. Jesse white. Good on him. We all have a soft spot for him.
    5. Andreas everitt. Would be a handy cover for ted right now.

On ch 7 today they showed who has already left the giants and its a full afl quality list.

In regards to Dempster and Schneider being traded out, I always thought it was for salary cap reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    1. Mummy. Mistake keeping pyke instead in hindsight.

On ch 7 today they showed who has already left the giants and its a full afl quality list.
    How was that a mistake? Pyke was paid peanuts, Mummy went to clear cap space for Buddy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In regards to Dempster and Schneider being traded out, I always thought it was for salary cap reasons.
    Yup. Adam was told about the potential trade while on holidays if I recall correctly - & wasn't happy

Dempster sweetened the deal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

4. Jesse white. Good on him. We all have a soft spot for him.
    I do have a soft spot, but no great loss so far. Spanger was a bigger loss than Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    How was that a mistake? Pyke was paid peanuts, Mummy went to clear cap space for Buddy

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. Adam was told about the potential trade while on holidays if I recall correctly - & wasn't happy

Dempster sweetened the deal

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a soft spot, but no great loss so far. Spanger was a bigger loss than Jesse
    To suggest we have lost anything from letting Jesse White go is utterly ridiculous.

Mummy we needed to let go to allow the Franklin deal to happen to say we could have kept him and let Pyke go is equally ignorant.

There's not too many we've had leave lately that have come back to bite us. Biggs is going well for the Doggies, and I'm genuinely happy for him, but he'd probably only sneak into our side now.

I'm not sure that the decision to take Leonardis and Dawson instead of Josh Dunkley may turn out to be a poor choice but I feel there was a bit more to that decision than meets the eye. I think that Dunkley Senior has turned into such a vindictive and nasty old cretin that we really didn't want his influence anywhere about the club and I think that also we saw drafting Josh as needlessly inflaming our list debate given the baggage the kid would have brought.

The fact the guys like Lamb, Everett (another guy I'm stoked to see going well) and Membrey (doesn't he have show pony written all over him) can go onto good careers elsewhere is a big tick to our system, even the fish that we throw back get a run elsewhere

Considering what Dempster has done at St Kilda, you'd have to say that he was our biggest "loss" of recent times. Having said that, we traded him as part of our play to get Mattner, and we won a flag with him on board so I'm not saying this with any regret. Mummy would be next after him because of the fact that Dempster has greater longevity.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    To suggest we have lost anything from letting Jesse White go is utterly ridiculous.

Mummy we needed to let go to allow the Franklin deal to happen to say we could have kept him and let Pyke go is equally ignorant.

There's not too many we've had leave lately that have come back to bite us. Biggs is going well for the Doggies, and I'm genuinely happy for him, but he'd probably only sneak into our side now.

I'm not sure that the decision to take Leonardis and Dawson instead of Josh Dunkley may turn out to be a poor choice but I feel there was a bit more to that decision than meets the eye. I think that Dunkley Senior has turned into such a vindictive and nasty old cretin that we really didn't want his influence anywhere about the club and I think that also we saw drafting Josh as needlessly inflaming our list debate given the baggage the kid would have brought.

The fact the guys like Lamb, Everett (another guy I'm stoked to see going well) and Membrey (doesn't he have show pony written all over him) can go onto good careers elsewhere is a big tick to our system, even the fish that we throw back get a run elsewhere
    Mug, when you quoted me, I don't quite get it ... isn't much of what you wrote the same as what I wrote?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Mug, when you quoted me, I don't quite get it ... isn't much of what you wrote the same as what I wrote?
    Ha ha, I was actually agreeing with you (and your responses to boring barry) but can see how my post was confusing.

Ha ha, I was actually agreeing with you (and your responses to boring barry) but can see how my post was confusing.
    right you are!

Just wild about Harry

Wow. You really have it in for Dunkley Snr. I'm not sure where you get your sources about Josh bringing that sort of baggage to the club, but unless you know them personally then you really are speculating in a very nasty way. Josh was happy to come here but also wanted to stay in Melbourne near family, etc.
    Andrew had a problem with Roos, not the club itself, and to call him a "vindictive and nasty old cretin" is WAY out of line.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Don't forget Jonathan Simpkin, who won a premiership with Hawthorn, was on our list for 2 or 3 years in the mid 2000s. Started on the rookie list, even earned a promotion to the senior list at the end of one season but never played a senior game

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast