Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 11 Match Day Thread. Gold Coast V Sydney. Metricon 19.25pm

Not too much to take out of that game.

Aside from what others have already said, I'd like to add that Rose looks like a psychotic hillbilly with that mustache. Mouth guard only helps to reinforce this.

McVeigh watch: was pretty good tonight. Probably better than last week, but still nowhere near the votes.
    Good to see him finding some form, hope it continues to grow.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Mitchell. Wow! I've gotta say that I'm so very glad that all that time ago when Matt80's every second post wast to trade him to Carlton because there was no room in the side for his sluggish pace with all the other slow players in our mid-field, I'm glad the list management team didn't listen to him!

We have a new breed of tagger in the making: sluggish legged, ball magnet with, electric hands & fair goal sense ... & tackles like a demon! It's like watching Greg Williams Mark II - once his team mates can read Tom's play & keep up with his disposal by hand (like Healy, Barry Mitchell, David Bolton & David Murphy eventually did with Greg Williams), Tom's efficiency & effectiveness will sky-rocket. He isn't bad by foot either (also like Diesel).

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    The crowd was 4,368.. Has to be one of the lowest crowds in recent memory
    I'm amazed that many showed up at all - the conditions were ridiculous and maybe people actually listened to emergency warnings as requested - nothing wrong with that in my eyes - loved the guys with snorkels etc - the fact is we got the win, on the road, in conditions that some of the players have never experienced and few injuries - can't ask for more than that. And agree the white uniform in the wet - hides nothing just like the wet white bikini !!!

Senior Player
    I've said it before that Harry C can't play in the wet. He has small hands and feet, finds it hard to find his balance in a contest and has difficulty handling the ball.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Looking at the replay Hewitt seems to have copped a hit to the cheekbone. Not expecting to see him play next week.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Another colossal performance from Tippo....He's leading my best and fairest for the Swans.

Rohan played an excellent game.

Mitchell just got more expensive..Need to sign him soon before we can't afford him.

Rose was lively and should hold his spot.

Marsh was fairly inconspicuous, needs to have more impact to hold his spot.

Rampe did another masterful job in defence...Destined for AA honours.

Parker seems to be getting his mojo back.

Sinclair did surprisingly well in the conditions.

All in all another really good win in trying conditions.
    I agree with all of that. Mitchell best on in my view, really relished clamping down on Ablett and got under his skin. Also kicked with some penetration and snapped an impressive goal.

Yes, perhaps Rohan's best game. Played forward and last line of defense. Was clean in terrible conditions, mistake free and used his pace really well.

Jones too is improving game by game. Developing some poise, kicking was better and hasn't made a discipline error for some time.

All of our experienced mids are now playing well.

Finally, I really liked how Heeney worked into game through his ferocious tackling. Eventually rewarded with that tough contested mark and goal late.

Not surprised at the crowd. They have to get there, and can you imagine driving a vehicle in that rain? The ground was flooded, god knows what the roads were like. Self preservation is ok.
    . I loved Rose and his second and thirds.
    . Every time I thought "who is that " when something positive happened it inevitably turned out to be Swampy.
    . Jeremy had a fantastic game, the water brings out the best in him.
    . Heeney appears to play the same wet or dry. Flat out.
    . Sinca looks like he belongs at last. Showed up the the song where he looked as happy as a duck.
    . Tippett is standing tall. Very tall. He has found "his" spot with no question or doubt.
    . Rampe...... Has to be rated very highly. He is right up there in the defender stakes, and is so reliable these days.
    . Jones had a relapse and gave away a free, but he also ran off without arguing and didn't do it again. He'll get it right.
    . Garry is living up to his reputation, which must have been so frustrating for him to not be able to physically show what he can do. He has changed so much, he looks like a Man, not a boy. You have to admit, Hanners still looks like a kid. Gaz does not.

All in all a bugger of a game, but worthwhile. We know what we can do.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    From second quarter on, an outstanding team effort. The big men obviously aren't fazed by extreme wet, the smaller men all put in, the skilful were still skilful if not to quite the usual level (and who'd blame them?) and the coaches steered them in the right direction.

Hewett is labelled as concussion - looks as if he will take a week or two off. Who takes his place?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

No way was the crowd over 4000. More like 400.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    That is a disgraceful crowd. that is NRL crowd level. I never thought I'd see an AFL side lower than the average NRL crowd level. I must admit though it is still bigger than the smallest NRL crowd of 1,280.
    Lowest AFL crowd since 1992*, I think. Apparently lots of road closures up there made access to the ground difficult. Given the sun's recent performance (in both sense of "suns") can you blame people from staying away?

* There were three games in 1992 with smaller crowds in that year, all involving the Brisbane Bears and all at Carrara. Opponents were (not surprisingly) Footscray, Fitzroy and Sydney. Tough times.

Veterans List
    How was the rain! Low crowd was because you would have got saturated just trying to get to the ground. Last time I was up there the Swans supporters looked to be about 35% of the crowd, probably more last night as locals may have stayed away but once you've booked flights up you just go anyway.

Senior Player
    Second lowest crowd for a Swans game since they relocated to Sydney. Previous low in that era was 4349 in 1992, versus the Brisbane Bears, also at Carrara (now Metricon).

There are smaller numbers in the list of all games including a couple of 3000 for South Melbourne. But those are estimates only (rounded to figures like 3000 or 4500). Looks like the lowest accurate count for any team was 3059, Bears v Footscray in 1992.

We see those conditions so rarely these days, I find the spectacle quite entertaining. Must be horrible to play in though. Let's hope Spotless drains well for more of a game next week.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast