Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans v giants

Should be a cracking game, a great Sunday arvo and public holiday on the Monday. Might have to enjoy a few beers, hopefully I'm not reaching for the harder stuff by the end! I think we'll win, by a closer margin of 2-3 goals. Heeney and Rohan to kick 6 between them.

Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    Sam Reid now not in contention for this weekend... Both Ben and Sam are prone to injury.
    Not injured again? I hope it is just a precaution.

Just read an article that says it is an Achilles problem.
    Last edited by YvonneH; 7th June 2016 at 09:33 AM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Not injured again? I hope it is just a precaution.

Just read an article that says it is an Achilles problem.
    John Blakey describing it as a minor issue. Unlikely to play seniors this week. After that, fingers crossed.

Senior Player
    On paper there is not much in this game. We are 6th in attack, 2nd in defence & have the best %. Giants are 2nd in attack, 6th in defence and have 3rd best %. We have lost two games, one against a good team (Adelaide) away and one we threw away against an average side (Richmond). Giants have lost three away games against quality teams (us, Crows & Cats) and one away game against an average side (Demons) they threw away. The Giants draw so far has been marginally harder than ours, but there is little in it. Neither team lays down, no losses by more than four goals. Pound for pound we are a better team, but they are playing at home and no one has got close to them at Spotless this year. Two weeks ago I would have said we had no chance, but sometimes lately their defence has gone AWOL and they've let in cheap goals, and they have struggled with winning the contested ball of late (albeit against quality opposition), and that is one of our strong points. Put aside our finals appearances this is the biggest game from a code perspective in Sydney in years. Swans by 17.

I find myself bemused by the strangely overconfident nature of most of the comments.

I cannot shake the feeling that they are strongest where we are weakest; i.e. tall forwards that are mobile and strong in contested marking, speed on the outside, excellent kicks to position.

Anyone who thinks they do not match up well against our strengths are kidding themselves; clearances through Ward, Coniglio, Greene, Shiel, Hopper and Mumford who are all great in close; a backline that boasts Shaw, Haynes, Davis, Patful, Williams, Wilson and Kelly; depth through the midfield that is the envy of the competition and small forwards that can convert.

I cannot help but feel anxious about this and as for a 3-4 goal victory I'll take a point.

The long term weather forecast is for rain (again) so that may be in our favour as our forwards rely less on marking to score as we saw last week. Although they are very skilled and if we allow them time and space to hit targets no amount of bad weather will temper their ability to score.

The lack of speed of our midfield again surfaces as an issue especially as the likes of Scully, Whitfield, Steele, Wilson, Kelly, Shiel and Coniglio can all cut you up.

For us to win, those with even a little pace like Lloyd, Rohan, Jones, K Jack, Rampe, Cunningham, Smith, Heeney and Mills must step up. I believe this is a game that B Jack is built for and he must get his chance this week in place of Hewett if he is unfit. Rose will miss out to Mills otherwise no change. Do not expect Ted to play.

I doubt Hewett will play this week given he also missed a week with concussion last year and how cautious everyone is with this kind of injury. So would expect a straight swap of Mills for Hewett. Rose offers good pressure and might be okay in a defensive forward role against Shaw. It will also allow Heeney to play a bit more up field.

Agree with graemed that this is no easy game; a tossup at best. The Giants showed plenty of pace and skill against Geelong, but the Cats applied tremendous pressure all over the ground and we will have to do the same if we are to win.

Jeremy Cameron is like a slightly taller version of Jack Gunston. He's very agile and dangerous at ground level, but can be defended by a smaller player like Rampe, who I think will take him. All the Giants' tall forwards had poor games against the Cats. It's hard to say it they are tiring or will bounce back in front of their home crowd.

Veterans List
    I have been impressed with GWS. They gave Adelaide a hell of a fright, in Adelaide, and had their chances to beat Geelong, at Geelong. Two very tough venues. Maybe a positive for us is that they have played interstate 2 weeks in a row. Both the above games were high pressure games and we will have to bring our best.

Senior Player
    A big plus for the Giants is their ability to score heavily and quickly. In the game against the Bulldogs they put on five unanswered goals in the space of about eight minutes at the start of the second quarter, and the game was pretty much done after that. Cameron, Scully, Greene, Johnson & Whitfield can all conjur goals out of nowhere, and stopping them if they get a roll going is hard work and will take some work from our defenders. That said, I still think our best (if we bring it) is better than theirs.

I read a stat in an article today ( which was about Collingwood being poor in this area) showing we are the best ranked side for scores against in defensive 50 chains. Ie: when we take possession in our back fifty, we concede the least amount of points from the ensuing possession chain. I was a little surprised at that considering we've had some awful turnovers from kick ins etc. What it does show is the system works pretty well and we generally get ourselves out of Trouble if we are able to get a turnover or intercept mark ( or the opposition miss the big sticks ).

In Leon Cameron's press interview he said Sydney has 40,000 members and the Giants 15,000.
    Perhaps he should have done his homework better. We have 53,152.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    A big plus for the Giants is their ability to score heavily and quickly. In the game against the Bulldogs they put on five unanswered goals in the space of about eight minutes at the start of the second quarter, and the game was pretty much done after that. Cameron, Scully, Greene, Johnson & Whitfield can all conjur goals out of nowhere, and stopping them if they get a roll going is hard work and will take some work from our defenders. That said, I still think our best (if we bring it) is better than theirs.
    Well, it can happened again. We allowed Richmond to score 5 unanswered goals in 4th quarter and win the game at the end. I'm not confident about this game at all and if the trend continues, having a loss after 3 wins, this is the one we might drop.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    In Leon Cameron's press interview he said Sydney has 40,000 members and the Giants 15,000.
    Perhaps he should have done his homework better. We have 53,152.
    Which means sydney the city has a combined AFL membership of near 70,000.

Wow

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast