Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans v giants

Warming the Bench
    This is not a game to take lightly and the team know this.

Agree with others that Mills in for Hewett.

Will they bring in Sam Reid to play on Jeremy Cameron. Sam has a great pair of hands but is not great at kicking goals - is CHB a good spot for him? Marsh would probably miss of Reid comes in.

I don't think the coaches are overly concerned about tall forwards, our current defensive structure did a number on the Kangas tall forwards

May be a breakout game for Mills if he takes on Hewitt's role.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    This is not a game to take lightly and the team know this.

Agree with others that Mills in for Hewett.

Will they bring in Sam Reid to play on Jeremy Cameron. Sam has a great pair of hands but is not great at kicking goals - is CHB a good spot for him? Marsh would probably miss of Reid comes in.
    I firmly believe that Reid is not a key defender he has neither the skill set nor the temperament despite how well his brother plays that role.

That is not to say he can't play as a defender he just does not play well on an opposing forward. He relies too much on his own judgement when attacking the ball and if he has responsibility for a player he does not seem to position himself well enough nor does he mark as well.

The best role for Reid is as the swing man playing either off the wing or as CHF and chasing down back as required to fill in the gaps or act as an extra defensive player.

Personally I would play him as CHF and play Franklin out of the goal square with a licence to roam. Reid is outstanding when given space to work in and with Franklin doing his thing anywhere, Reid is marking option through the corridor or as a hit up alternative (when he gets his timing back his first game in the reserves showed his lack of match practice and his marking was woeful.).

Never confident playing these pr*icks......

They always lift a gear against us and at their home, massive danger game.
    Like Richmond and the MCG, 2 things historically against us.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    I firmly believe that Reid is not a key defender he has neither the skill set nor the temperament despite how well his brother plays that role.

That is not to say he can't play as a defender he just does not play well on an opposing forward. He relies too much on his own judgement when attacking the ball and if he has responsibility for a player he does not seem to position himself well enough nor does he mark as well.

The best role for Reid is as the swing man playing either off the wing or as CHF and chasing down back as required to fill in the gaps or act as an extra defensive player.

Personally I would play him as CHF and play Franklin out of the goal square with a licence to roam. Reid is outstanding when given space to work in and with Franklin doing his thing anywhere, Reid is marking option through the corridor or as a hit up alternative (when he gets his timing back his first game in the reserves showed his lack of match practice and his marking was woeful.).
    +1
    What I've been saying for ages.
    The backline experiment has failed for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we have this game in the bag.
    Main reason is because the team is GENUINELY going in expecting it to go either way on the day and will genuinely bring their A game.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    play buddy out of the goal square? With his 70m kicks, there'll be some enterprising young kid in the car park scoring himself a bunch of footys as Buddy casually lets fly that close in

I think we should play Reid like the Saints are playing Reiwoldt these days, or like PA plays Westoff. He is a genuine tall utility who can play where he is needed as the game unfolds. This is not a made up role, but very much a part of the modern game. Contrary to some comments, I do believe Reid has the skills to play many positions around the ground. His main problem has been with his soft tissue injuries, similar to brother Ben.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think we should play Reid like the Saints are playing Reiwoldt these days, or like PA plays Westoff. He is a genuine tall utility who can play where he is needed as the game unfolds. This is not a made up role, but very much a part of the modern game. Contrary to some comments, I do believe Reid has the skills to play many positions around the ground. His main problem has been with his soft tissue injuries, similar to brother Ben.
    This is the sort of role that brought out the best in Jesse White - he played his best (not great, but sometimes good) when played as a roving utility type as opposed to a key forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    This is the sort of role that brought out the best in Jesse White - he played his best (not great, but sometimes good) when played as a roving utility type as opposed to a key forward.
    Just the mention of his name brings tears to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    No, he played his best when his contract was up for renewal.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    No, he played his best when his contract was up for renewal.
    Correct. And I still say he is the biggest rover playing the game.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast